Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
william coates said:
ya,,,,Buenos Aires went from 14 to 15 months. Still can't figure out they have applications that are completed in 5 months or less.
The times posted are NOT average processing times. They are worst case processing times for 80% of applications. For example out of 100 application if 75 are done in 1 month, and 25 are done in 8 months... the maximum times for 80% of applications would show simply as 8 months (even though 75 done in 1 month and 5 in 8 months). Applications with lots of red flags or missing information, cause the posted times to increase. Most straightforward apps are done much quicker!

amikety said:
2) The new barcode system isn't as awesome as they hoped or they aren't able to use it properly yet.
I think this is a big reason. Recently many offices have shut down, and consolidated into other offices. i.e just recently Seoul and Tokyo shut down and will now be processed through Manila. I wonder if they hired more people in Manila for this?

lunas said:
I also want to add to the speculations. I think the new 2 year rule to new applications has slowed them down
My logic says the new laws should make processing times quicker. With the 2-year rule now in effect, it will be a safety net for lots of the fraud marriages that go through. So it should be a bit easier for a VO to approve an app with a couple red flags, knowing even if they make a mistake and approve a bad one, the new rules will catch it if the couple splits within the 2 years.

BCgirl2012

May 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2012
AOR Received.
03-07-2012
File Transfer...
04-07-2012
Med's Done....
16-12-2011
Passport Req..
18-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2013
Rob_TO said:
Applications with lots of red flags or missing information, cause the posted times to increase. Most straightforward apps are done much quicker!
I agree with most of your post. However, I don't think only what you're describing decides which cases get processed quicker.

Our VO was 80% in 5 months till May. since August they increased it to 15 and then to 16. It didn't change in the most recent update, and stayed constant at 16 months.

I know that they didn't touch our case at least till December 2012 (when we received our GCMS notes). I highly doubt that anyone could tell we have any documents missing or that we have red flags needed to be looked at more closely without at least doing an initial review. But there we have it: 8months into the process already and no news.

On the other hand, in the same VO, we have cases that go in process within 2-3 months after file transfer. Why is that, I cannot say. I just know that it's not easy to understand in which order they process the incoming files.

We observed the same situation for the stage 1. When the processing time was announced around 90 days, our case got processed in a bit over a month. A lot of people who had applied in the same week were also in the same boat and got a quicker process. At the same time, people from February were still waiting stage 1 approval. It just shows the cases aren't always processed in the order they are received.

I do understand it the cases *finish* at different times. But I'm not happy with some cases gathering dust and not be looked at while others who were received later are opened.

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
Rob_TO said:
My logic says the new laws should make processing times quicker. With the 2-year rule now in effect, it will be a safety net for lots of the fraud marriages that go through. So it should be a bit easier for a VO to approve an app with a couple red flags, knowing even if they make a mistake and approve a bad one, the new rules will catch it if the couple splits within the 2 years.
Hi Rob_TO: how does the 2-year rule get enforced then? Does it mean that right from the moment the sponsored person lands in Canada, then he/she together with the sponsor will need to collect proofs that they've been together??! Collecting chat logs would probably be hard as people who normally live together don't normally chat (unless when being apart during the day when they're at work...probably many people communicate with their spouse using BBM, SMS, etc. But other than that probably they communicate with each other orally...)

Should the sponsor and the sponsored person collect other forms of evidence then, such as photos of trips/gatherings/outings together, proofs of joint leases, joint bank accounts, joint [fill in the blank]?

And then once the 2 years are up, the CIC/VO will send a letter saying smth like "Hi, your 2 years are up. Before we grant the sponsored person a full PR status, we would like to see evidence that you guys have been together in the past 2 years. Please submit the evidence to us no later than DD-MM-YYYY"

Does it work more or less like that??

lunas

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/07/2012
AOR Received.
11/07/2012
Med's Done....
8/15/2012
Passport Req..
03/14/2013
LANDED..........
04/19/2013
fandv said:
And then once the 2 years are up, the CIC/VO will send a letter saying smth like "Hi, your 2 years are up. Before we grant the sponsored person a full PR status, we would like to see evidence that you guys have been together in the past 2 years. Please submit the evidence to us no later than DD-MM-YYYY"

Does it work more or less like that??
That's a good question. I'm just guessing that your permanent residency card will be valid for two years and before they renew it you will need to submit proof and fill out some forms. It's just a guess.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
lunas said:
That's a good question. I'm just guessing that your permanent residency card will be valid for two years and before they renew it you will need to submit proof and fill out some forms. It's just a guess.
That's more proactive than I was guessing. I figured at first, they will be passive and only look into cases if there's a report or they flagged it to follow up (cough they denied and you won the appeal cough).

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
lunas said:
amikety said:
That's more proactive than I was guessing. I figured at first, they will be passive and only look into cases if there's a report or they flagged it to follow up (cough they denied and you won the appeal cough).
Some really interesting and totally plausible theories there!! Many possibilities! I guess we just have to wait until 25 October 2015, or even as early as April 2015! Such a long time to find out ;D

Ttcdfolk

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
01-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
Hong Kong went from 16 to 13. So a three month decrease. Ya!

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I recently saw an advertisement for someone to work in the London office. Not only did the person have to be a Canadian citizen but also had to have legal status to work in the UK.

How difficult must it be to find workers? A lot of backward Countries do not allow their citizens to hold duel nationality. Bizarre I admit, so to find workers for those offices must be a nightmare. No wonder they are closing offices all over the world. No money and no staff.

I blame the Governments of Countries that do not allow duel citizenship myself.

Ttcdfolk

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
01-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
angelbrat said:
I recently saw an advertisement for someone to work in the London office. Not only did the person have to be a Canadian citizen but also had to have legal status to work in the UK.

How difficult must it be to find workers? A lot of backward Countries do not allow their citizens to hold duel nationality. Bizarre I admit, so to find workers for those offices must be a nightmare. No wonder they are closing offices all over the world. No money and no staff.

I blame the Governments of Countries that do not allow duel citizenship myself.
Most third world countries are that way, and all communist countries are that way for sure. The government thinks the people who want dual citizenship turned their back on the motherland.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
fandv said:
Hi Rob_TO: how does the 2-year rule get enforced then?
Here is the info on the CIC site regarding this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob480.asp

The sponsored spouse or partner must provide evidence of their compliance with the condition if an officer requests such evidence because they have reason to believe that the sponsored person is not complying or has not complied with the condition (for example, when a tip is received or a CIC of CBSA officer has information indicating non-compliance), or if requested as part of a random assessment of the overall level of compliance with the condition by the permanent residents who are or were subject to the condition.

A CIC officer may make a determination as to whether the sponsored person has failed to comply with the condition during or after the two-year condition period (s.72.4).

IMO, i think the main ways the CIC will find out are:
- if 2 people get a divorce in Canada, a normal check will be to see if one of them is a PR, and if so report the divorce to CIC
- if one of the couple suddenly files as single on a tax return, or changes their home address on taxes, the CRA can see if one is a PR and report to CIC
- if people separate for any reason (even staying married on paper but physically separating/living apart), the sponsor can themselves report their break-up to the CIC, if they don't want their partner to have PR anymore
- when it comes time to turn the conditional PR into full time PR, the sponsor will need to again sign a document saying they are still together

If people break up, i think the sponsor will in almost ALL cases naturally want to report the break-up to CIC. Else they would be on the hook financially for their ex.

I guess in some cases where people simply split up but don't get a Canadian divorce, or get a divorce in another country, and the sponsor doesn't report it... there is no way for the CIC to know and the PR will continue as normal.

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Rob_TO said:
Here is the info on the CIC site regarding this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob480.asp

The sponsored spouse or partner must provide evidence of their compliance with the condition if an officer requests such evidence because they have reason to believe that the sponsored person is not complying or has not complied with the condition (for example, when a tip is received or a CIC of CBSA officer has information indicating non-compliance), or if requested as part of a random assessment of the overall level of compliance with the condition by the permanent residents who are or were subject to the condition.

A CIC officer may make a determination as to whether the sponsored person has failed to comply with the condition during or after the two-year condition period (s.72.4).

IMO, i think the main ways the CIC will find out are:
- if 2 people get a divorce in Canada, a normal check will be to see if one of them is a PR, and if so report the divorce to CIC
- if one of the couple suddenly files as single on a tax return, or changes their home address on taxes, the CRA can see if one is a PR and report to CIC
- if people separate for any reason (even staying married on paper but physically separating/living apart), the sponsor can themselves report their break-up to the CIC, if they don't want their partner to have PR anymore
- when it comes time to turn the conditional PR into full time PR, the sponsor will need to again sign a document saying they are still together

If people break up, i think the sponsor will in almost ALL cases naturally want to report the break-up to CIC. Else they would be on the hook financially for their ex.

I guess in some cases where people simply split up but don't get a Canadian divorce, or get a divorce in another country, and the sponsor doesn't report it... there is no way for the CIC to know and the PR will continue as normal.
Thanks Rob, very informative :)

By the way, the 2-year conditional PR rule gets bypassed for couples who have kid(s) together right?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
fandv said:
Thanks Rob, very informative :)

By the way, the 2-year conditional PR rule gets bypassed for couples who have kid(s) together right?
Correct. Also, if you've been married or in a common-law relationship for more than 2 years (I guess at time of landing), the new rules are not used.

europe

Oct 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2012
File Transfer...
16-05-2012
Med's Done....
12-01-2012 redo the medical February 05 2013
Interview........
18-10-2012 in process from that date nov 16 asking for the military booklet
Passport Req..
27-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2013
LANDED..........
05-05-2013 thnx god is over
Vienna is same 10 months

Dourdon

Dec 22, 2012
Ttcdfolk said:
Most third world countries are that way, and all communist countries are that way for sure. The government thinks the people who want dual citizenship turned their back on the motherland.
:D The communist countries at this moment are: North Korea; Cuba, Belarus and China. Btw, Switzerland also forbid the dual citizenship and some other backward countries in Europe ;)

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Dourdon said:
:D The communist countries at this moment are: North Korea; Cuba, Belarus and China. Btw, Switzerland also forbid the dual citizenship and some other backward countries in Europe ;)
Is there a VO in Switzerland?