File Transfer...
December 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
September 6th 2013

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Days as visitor:

As others have noted, days actually physically present in Canada, during the five year eligibility period prior to the date the application is made, COUNT.

As the OP apprehends, however, the absence of formal documentation evidencing dates of entry into Canada can be an issue.

Many times an American who comes into Canada to be with a partner will be issued a Visitor's Record (as I was), which will document status and date of entry.

With no formal documentation, no status to work so presumably no work history in Canada for that time period, no school records for that time period, no record of health care in Canada, and so on, sufficiently proving actual presence in Canada during those periods can be a bit problematic. The burden of proof is on the applicant.

Generally an American citizen should have no need to rush becoming a Canadian citizen, so it may be a good idea to wait, to wait to have enough days without relying on undocumented days as a visitor, before applying. (While I had additional reasons for waiting longer, and even though I had a VR which could document a large period of time, this was a factor in my decision to wait longer to apply.)

This is a situation in which an oft repeated caution applies: rushing the application can mean it takes longer to become a citizen.

And even if you ordered the ENTRY records from the US, they would most likely not list your entries since the US doesn't collect entry dates for US nationals.
I am not sure of the precise policy, but I believe the U.S. does collect entry data for U.S. citizens. That information, however, may not be included in data shared with Canada (so Canada may not have direct access to it).

In particular, I do not stay current regarding the U.S. rules, policies, or practices, not closely anyway. So I am not sure of the formal policy.

I can say, however, the U.S. provided me a list of my entries into the U.S. (via FOIA request). And I am a U.S. citizen (with a strong preference for emphasizing my Canadian citizenship). The records went back ten years, prior to when even the U.S. started examining passports (or other acceptable documents) every time (or almost every time anyway), so of course it was incomplete relative to older border-crossings, but appeared to be at least very close to complete since around 2005 or 2006 or so. I requested this information well before I applied for citizenship, mostly because I was curious (I kept an ongoing log of all travel outside Canada, which is what every PR should do, so it was not that I needed it) and actually became a citizen before I finally received it. I believe they provide faster service these days.

Reactions: Rorosgurl

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I am not sure of the precise policy, but I believe the U.S. does collect entry data for U.S. citizens. That information, however, may not be included in data shared with Canada (so Canada may not have direct access to it).

In particular, I do not stay current regarding the U.S. rules, policies, or practices, not closely anyway. So I am not sure of the formal policy.

I can say, however, the U.S. provided me a list of my entries into the U.S. (via FOIA request). And I am a U.S. citizen (with a strong preference for emphasizing my Canadian citizenship). The records went back ten years, prior to when even the U.S. started examining passports (or other acceptable documents) every time (or almost every time anyway), so of course it was incomplete relative to older border-crossings, but appeared to be at least very close to complete since around 2005 or 2006 or so. I requested this information well before I applied for citizenship, mostly because I was curious (I kept an ongoing log of all travel outside Canada, which is what every PR should do, so it was not that I needed it) and actually became a citizen before I finally received it. I believe they provide faster service these days.

Yup regarding that I stand corrected as specified by you and others above. The US records entries by their citizens but doesn't share the data with the Canadian authorities. So you indeed need to ask for the US data directly via FOIA, unlike nationals of other countries who only have to ask the Canadian agency for the data and it will include their entries into the US (as exit records from Canada).

Reactions: Rorosgurl

Rorosgurl

Jan 5, 2014
london ontario
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
October 12th 2013
AOR Received.
October 17th 2013
File Transfer...
December 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
September 6th 2013
Yup regarding that I stand corrected as specified by you and others above. The US records entries by their citizens but doesn't share the data with the Canadian authorities. So you indeed need to ask for the US data directly via FOIA, unlike nationals of other countries who only have to ask the Canadian agency for the data and it will include their entries into the US (as exit records from Canada).
I did apply for FOIA yesterday. I hope it wont take a long time.
Thanks guys for everything

Rorosgurl

Jan 5, 2014
london ontario
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
October 12th 2013
AOR Received.
October 17th 2013
File Transfer...
December 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
September 6th 2013
Can i do the fingerprint now just incase i have over 183 days? Or i have to wait? I dont want To waste time waiting on the FOIA.

Rorosgurl

Jan 5, 2014
london ontario
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
October 12th 2013
AOR Received.
October 17th 2013
File Transfer...
December 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
September 6th 2013
Anyone . Lol

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Can i do the fingerprint now just incase i have over 183 days? Or i have to wait? I dont want To waste time waiting on the FOIA.
Are you asking about the fingerprints for RCMP (these have no correlation to the 183 days) ? If so, then it's better to wait till those are requested because 1) not everyone needs to provide them, 2) you will need the letter sent by IRCC to make sure they're sent to the correct address.

I'm not aware of any other required fingerprints.