+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to get FOIA records from USA ?

Chai_to_Double-double

Nov 22, 2017
Hi Guys,
I had requested for my FOIA records about 34 days ago but I don’t have these yet.

I called them and they told me that they have a backlog and my request is in the queue.

My question is that should I wait for them to send these records to me or should I apply without these records.

The clock is ticking & I have to send my quality assurance documents.

One guy told me that it can take up to 3 month .

Did someone receive these lately ?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi Guys,
I had requested for my FOIA records about 34 days ago but I don’t have these yet.

I called them and they told me that they have a backlog and my request is in the queue.

My question is that should I wait for them to send these records to me or should I apply without these records.

I haven't ordered these, but 2-3 months sounds about right, from what I've read on this forum.

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
It took me 2 years when I applied in 2012; yes, I applied sometime in 2012 and got it sometime in 2014. Not sure right now.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Hi Guys,

Mine have been pending since September 2017.......maybe that is an exception, but thats what it is.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Hi Guys,

It can take few days to few months or many months.

Did you try to get your i94 records? That's quick way however it may be incomplete or inaccurate:
Here is the link:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Now days the FOIA is taking long. A year ago it used to take a couple weeks to a month.

If you want entry exit records from the past 5 years the i94 history should be helpful.
Anything earlier than that will not be available in i94 history and you might have to go for FOIA

Sometimes there are missing entries on the i94 website and then FOIA is the only option.
Keep in mind not all landcrossing exits from USA to Canada beyond 2013 are recorded in FOIA.
For those you may have to get ATIP records from Canada

AG

Chai_to_Double-double

Nov 22, 2017
Hi Alberta's governor,

thank you for your response.
I think you're right.. I called them again and they told me that it takes upto 6 months sometimes.

I ordered my ATIP from CBSA too & these arrived yesterday- But I can't send these to IRCC as they specifically mentioned in the documents to not send any Canad Border Services documents.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Hi Alberta's governor,

thank you for your response.
I think you're right.. I called them again and they told me that it takes upto 6 months sometimes.

I ordered my ATIP from CBSA too & these arrived yesterday- But I can't send these to IRCC as they specifically mentioned in the documents to not send any Canad Border Services documents.
If you have authorized CIC to talk to CBSA regarding your entries (Q14B), then don't worry about anything. CIC has a better turnaround time for getting records from CBSA directly.
When a person orders CBSA records himself it takes 1 month+ however when CIC orders it from CBSA, it's quick.

The records you have received are for your reference to cross check your entries.

Rorosgurl

Jan 5, 2014
london ontario
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
October 12th 2013
AOR Received.
October 17th 2013
File Transfer...
December 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
September 6th 2013
Whats the number that you used to call them? I need to know approximately what the wait time is.

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Landing: Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
Hi Guys,

Did you get yours yet? I'm at 65 days and nothing. My tracking finally updated 1 month ago to evaluation...but that's it. Said estimated completion was today.

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
Did you get yours yet? I'm at 65 days and nothing. My tracking finally updated 1 month ago to evaluation...but that's it. Said estimated completion was today.
Hello simpsol22. Please share long it took for you to get your FOIA response with entry/exit information ? It is one month + since I applied..

simpsol22

Feb 11, 2015
South Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Landing: Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2015
Doc's Request.
17-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
04-06-2016
LANDED..........
13-02-2017
Hello simpsol22. Please share long it took for you to get your FOIA response with entry/exit information ? It is one month + since I applied..
JAN 15-Applied
FEB 21-evaulation started
MAR 21-estimated completion
APR 7-response with "No Records"
Tried replying to the notice same day and a few days later but got no response...even left voicemails.
APR 15- I filed an appeal.
APR 17-recieved modifcation email...believe they had assigned my file.
APR 24-records received.

Reactions: trk1

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
JAN 15-Applied
FEB 21-evaulation started
MAR 21-estimated completion
APR 7-response with "No Records"
Tried replying to the notice same day and a few days later but got no response...even left voicemails.
APR 15- I filed an appeal.
APR 17-recieved modifcation email...believe they had assigned my file.
APR 24-records received.
Thanks!

Reactions: simpsol22