+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitors vise for my wife - questions

Leopold_31

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
Hello guys, I just applied to sponsor my wife to come to Canada. But being apart is extremely hard so I will try to get her a visitors visa so we can at least be together for some time of the process.

Would be very thankful if you could answer couple of questions since the visitor visa is completely new to me:

1) I looked through the checklist of required documents for applying by paper and there are quite a bit of applications that need to be filled out. But then I found out that I can apply online, which seems like a better idea to me, so I filled out the online questionnaire and at the end it gave me a list of required documents and now it was only one form we need to fill out + bunch of supporting documentation. Is this accurate to what others experienced?

2) On the supporting documentation, the first one it said something along the lines of "You need to provide flight tickets, if applicable, and/or travel itenary (detailed plan of your travels)". I am confused, am I REQUIRED to buy a flight ticket for my wife before applying for the visa? Or I can just write out the places we plan to visit. Mind you we are not planning any travel in Canada, she will come to my city and stay with me.

3) I looked through processing times in different visa offices and for my VO it says 5 days. Is this information accurate? I just find it hard to believe compared to how long some people have to wait, according to this forum.

4) My wife does not have much money, so I plan on writing in the invitation letter that I as a husband will take care of everything and will include a print out of my bank account statement. Do you think they will still have issues with her not having enough money?

5) When I submit my application online, what format the documentation has to be in? Like my letters, proof, application forms. Do they all have to be scaned in (.jpeg) or can I send .doc/.pdf files?

Thank you very much in advance

dotmatrix

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
15-06-2013
Med's Request
16-10-2014
Med's Done....
23-10-2014
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
21-12-2014
1 - yes

2 - you are not required to buy a ticket - Talk to a travel agent and get an itinerary for the proposed travel dates - CIC doesn't expect you to buy a ticket when you don't have a visa.

3 - If you looked at processing times on CIC's website, they must be accurate. you shouldn't go by what people are experiencing since wait times vary vastly by Visa office and individual application.

4 - My wife didn't have much in her account either. I wrote a letter of support and provided funds available to me. It was good enough for her to get a TRV.

5 - I think the website tells you what formats it accepts. I submitted everything in pdf except her picture which was in jpeg.

Leopold_31

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
I got another question regarding the time for her to stay.
When writing on the application what should I put down for how long she will be staying, so she will have the highest chance to get a visa.
If we put down 1 month on the application, but at the border to Canada the visa officer puts a stamp in her passport that she can stay for 3 month - is it bad if she stays the 3 month even though on the application we asked for 1 month?
Confused about how the system works.
Don't want to be in the wrong with Canadian government.

dotmatrix

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
15-06-2013
Med's Request
16-10-2014
Med's Done....
23-10-2014
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
21-12-2014
Leopold_31 said:
I got another question regarding the time for her to stay.
When writing on the application what should I put down for how long she will be staying, so she will have the highest chance to get a visa.
If we put down 1 month on the application, but at the border to Canada the visa officer puts a stamp in her passport that she can stay for 3 month - is it bad if she stays the 3 month even though on the application we asked for 1 month?
Confused about how the system works.
Don't want to be in the wrong with Canadian government.
If the border officer puts 3 months or 6 months, you can stay for that time - You won't be in the wrong.

anusai

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Just one question regarding the visitor visa. My husband wants to apply and we do not want to go wrong
in anyway.

The link for visa application is copied below.. Hope this is the correct link. The form is fairly simple

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5257E.pdf

we want to apply for Multiple entry visa

period of stay will be 2 months

My husband is diabetic and I am worried if that will cause any trouble.

I am a canadian citizen.

thanks

Leopold_31

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
Hello, I started to look through the required forms and have another question

The checklist requires me to provide this document:
Purpose of travel, You must provide documents supporting the purpose of your travel to Canada. Examples include: proof of educational study, wedding invitations, proof of medical appointment etc.

Now in my case it is my wife, visiting me (her husband) and my family. Should I include a letter from my parents inviting her to visit us in Canada?

sshh13

Star Member
Nov 8, 2013
Leopold_31 said:
Hello, I started to look through the required forms and have another question

The checklist requires me to provide this document:
Purpose of travel, You must provide documents supporting the purpose of your travel to Canada. Examples include: proof of educational study, wedding invitations, proof of medical appointment etc.

Now in my case it is my wife, visiting me (her husband) and my family. Should I include a letter from my parents inviting her to visit us in Canada?
Hi!

Last December I applied for TRV to visit my husband too. In the folder "Purpose of travel" (online application) I upload document which contained:
- Cover letter, explaining what is the reason of my travel to Canada, how long I want to stay there, what are the reasons which will make me to leave Canada. In this letter I also described how our relationship developed. In the end of the letter I made a list of all the documents, which I provided for my application.
- Invitation letter from my husband
- Marriage certificate

As for the invitation letter from your parents - it s a good idea. The first time I was visiting my husband in Canada, his parents were writing such letter just to show that they are looking forward to meet me. But it s not a major document. The major invitation letter should be from you only. Your wife is visiting you first of all and that s her purpose of travel.
She has to write a good cover letter. On my opinion, a good cover (motivation) letter increases the chances for the visa. She has to explain all the details of her (your) case. For example, in my CV I was explaining why we did not start the sponsorship process yet and why I do not have intention to stay in Canada permanently for now.

Leopold_31

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
sshh13 said:
Hi!

Last December I applied for TRV to visit my husband too. In the folder "Purpose of travel" (online application) I upload document which contained:
- Cover letter, explaining what is the reason of my travel to Canada, how long I want to stay there, what are the reasons which will make me to leave Canada. In this letter I also described how our relationship developed. In the end of the letter I made a list of all the documents, which I provided for my application.
- Invitation letter from my husband
- Marriage certificate

As for the invitation letter from your parents - it s a good idea. The first time I was visiting my husband in Canada, his parents were writing such letter just to show that they are looking forward to meet me. But it s not a major document. The major invitation letter should be from you only. Your wife is visiting you first of all and that s her purpose of travel.
She has to write a good cover letter. On my opinion, a good cover (motivation) letter increases the chances for the visa. She has to explain all the details of her (your) case. For example, in my CV I was explaining why we did not start the sponsorship process yet and why I do not have intention to stay in Canada permanently for now.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I did not know my wife had to write a cover letter, but now I understand we must do it.

I have another questions, when submitting documents online do they look at which IP it was submitted from? If I submit it from Canada do you think it will be a problem? My wife does not know any English so I will have to do all the documents myself.

sshh13

Star Member
Nov 8, 2013
Leopold_31 said:
I did not know my wife had to write a cover letter, but now I understand we must do it.

I have another questions, when submitting documents online do they look at which IP it was submitted from? If I submit it from Canada do you think it will be a problem? My wife does not know any English so I will have to do all the documents myself.
I cannot say for sure, but I have seen a similar question on a different forum. The lady wanted to apply for her mother and was asking about IP, because she was in Canada at the moment. She was not sure, but still did it. A few weeks later her mother got a visa. So, i guess it s ok.

dotmatrix

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
15-06-2013
Med's Request
16-10-2014
Med's Done....
23-10-2014
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
21-12-2014
Leopold_31 said:

To my knowledge it shouldn't be an issue - make sure you attach a "Use of representative form"

Leopold_31

Star Member
Oct 16, 2013
I want to thank again for all your helpful answers

Another issue came up. When showing the available finances, my wife is required to provide 6 or 4 months history of her bank account. The problem is she has NO bank account. She was a resident in another country for 4 years and has some govenment saving account there which we can show, but in her current country of residence she just keeps money in cash and she does not have much.
I told her to make a bank account but now I realize its useless, because we won't be able to show any history on it.

What can we do?

I am writing in the invitation letter that I will support her completely and I will show my bank account/ letter from work how much I earn. But I can't really show any of her money.