+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor's visa to work permit? Advice please!

laialbert

Star Member
Feb 8, 2012
My soon-to-be employer faxed my LMO November last year and a letter was sent to her just last week, asking for her liscense number and she did fax it the same day she received the letter.
Question: How long do you think they will send the approved LMO (I'm assuming it's a positive one) since my employer is really willing to get me for sending the needed information to them rightaway.
I'm hoping to have my LMO before I extend my tourist visa again which will expire on March 1. Thinking that aside from saving money, my status will not be overlapping....(paying for tourist visa extension and paying for work permit when LMO comes a little later, also I'm not sure if it's OK to apply for tourist visa extension and then after few weeks, applying for work permit after LMO is approved).
Please give me some advice....I'm confused!
Will I need to re-extend my tourist visa now since there's no assurance af getting my LMO yet?.....I know that it was processed already but there is one information missing (my employer's liscence number). I wonder how long they will notify my emploter again....hope it will not take another 9 weeks of processing.
Thanks in advance....I appreciate your time!

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
laialbert said:
My soon-to-be employer faxed my LMO November last year and a letter was sent to her just last week, asking for her liscense number and she did fax it the same day she received the letter.
Question: How long do you think they will send the approved LMO (I'm assuming it's a positive one) since my employer is really willing to get me for sending the needed information to them rightaway.
I'm hoping to have my LMO before I extend my tourist visa again which will expire on March 1. Thinking that aside from saving money, my status will not be overlapping....(paying for tourist visa extension and paying for work permit when LMO comes a little later, also I'm not sure if it's OK to apply for tourist visa extension and then after few weeks, applying for work permit after LMO is approved).
Will I need to re-extend my tourist visa now since there's no assurance af getting my LMO yet?.....I know that it was processed already but there is one information missing (my employer's liscence number). I wonder how long they will notify my emploter again....hope it will not take another 9 weeks of processing.
Try to extend tourist visa before it expiry date March 1. Suppose if you don't get LMO before March 1 .

aimraje

Feb 18, 2012
laialbert said:

Hello. Will you share your experience looking for employer willing to hire you as a worker, knowing you only have TRV on hand? Thank you!

laialbert

Star Member
Feb 8, 2012
aimraje said:
Hello. Will you share your experience looking for employer willing to hire you as a worker, knowing you only have TRV on hand? Thank you!
I looked at saskjob and found out that many are looking for an early childhood educator (pretty much related to the job I had when I worked as a 1st Grade and Kindergarten teacher in the U.S.). Most of the employers here liked my experience but not that willing to offer the job since they know that LMO processing takes time, until one of them agreed to file it for me. Right now, I and my employer-to-be is on our 12th week of waiting to have a positive LMO so that I can apply immediately for a work permit 'coz I believe I can change my TRV to working visa after everything turns in my favor.....hopefully!

shaznaz75

Feb 25, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2015
Doc's Request.
24-11-2015
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
19-05-2016
Med's Done....
20-11-2015
Interview........
10-02-2017
Passport Req..
10-02-2017
LANDED..........
10-02-2017
Let me know if this works out, I was under the impression TRV does not get changed to any other permit, given you are a spouse of a canadian citizen/resident. Even if it does get changed, you probably might have to leave canada and then re-enter with the new permit...not exactly sure but definitely keep us updated as to what happens with this.

cheers.

aimraje

Feb 18, 2012
laialbert said:
I looked at saskjob and found out that many are looking for an early childhood educator (pretty much related to the job I had when I worked as a 1st Grade and Kindergarten teacher in the U.S.). Most of the employers here liked my experience but not that willing to offer the job since they know that LMO processing takes time, until one of them agreed to file it for me. Right now, I and my employer-to-be is on our 12th week of waiting to have a positive LMO so that I can apply immediately for a work permit 'coz I believe I can change my TRV to working visa after everything turns in my favor.....hopefully!
Wow.. Did you do your job search while in Canada? So are you in Sask right now? I wonder if they'd ask for a status/permit before they can even consider an applicant for an interview... did u get a hard time looking for jobs there? can i PM u?

laialbert

Star Member
Feb 8, 2012
aimraje said:
Wow.. Did you do your job search while in Canada? So are you in Sask right now? I wonder if they'd ask for a status/permit before they can even consider an applicant for an interview... did u get a hard time looking for jobs there? can i PM u?
Sure! Yes, here in Regina SK. I came here first as a tourist & searched for a job. Prospect employers will just put in their add what qualifications they do need for an applicant. Everytime that prospect employers call me for interview, I always tell them my situation (that I'm just a visitor of this country). Most of them got discouraged upon knowing that they will need a request for LMO because they need an educator ASAP. Good thing that the one who filed my LMO is still waiting for me until this time..... I'm praying though... :)

laialbert

Star Member
Feb 8, 2012
shaznaz75 said:
Let me know if this works out, I was under the impression TRV does not get changed to any other permit, given you are a spouse of a canadian citizen/resident. Even if it does get changed, you probably might have to leave canada and then re-enter with the new permit...not exactly sure but definitely keep us updated as to what happens with this.

cheers.
OK, thanks! I heard the same thing. But the first step I did for now was to extend my visitor's visa since LMO is taking soooooo long! I might cross the border, probably Dakota if I would be allowed to work given the positive LMO .

aimraje

Feb 18, 2012
laialbert said:
Sure! Yes, here in Regina SK. I came here first as a tourist & searched for a job. Prospect employers will just put in their add what qualifications they do need for an applicant. Everytime that prospect employers call me for interview, I always tell them my situation (that I'm just a visitor of this country). Most of them got discouraged upon knowing that they will need a request for LMO because they need an educator ASAP. Good thing that the one who filed my LMO is still waiting for me until this time..... I'm praying though... :)
Good luck! Keep us posted on your journey.. would u know though if they need any accounting people? Lol..

laialbert

Star Member
Feb 8, 2012
aimraje said:
Good luck! Keep us posted on your journey.. would u know though if they need any accounting people? Lol..

Sometimes SaskJobs.ca post some needs of accountants....just pray that one of them will be willing to file LMO. The need of employee also depends on the place though.