+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor's Visa for Pregnant Wife

Mordred

Nov 15, 2012
Hello,

I am Canadian & wife is a foreigner. We have a 2.5 yr old daughter (who is Canadian - except citizenship card has been in process since Feb 2013).

My wife is 4 months pregnant & I want her to come to Canada on a visitor's visa. I want her to have the baby here & I am willing to get her health insurance. The baby will be Canadian whether born here or elsewhere so that is not my motivation.

I have not yet applied for sponsorship because I was contemplating working abroad for a while.

What are the chances that she will get the visa & what can I do to improve her chances.

PS- My first daughter also needs a tonsil type operation which I prefer done in Canada.

Please advise.

Many thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You won't be able to find any insurance policies that will cover the costs of pregnancy. If you want the child born in Canada, you should be ready to pay for the costs of the delivery out of your own pocket. I would set aside $10K to be safe. You can lower the costs of the birth substantially by having the birth at home with the help of a midwife.

Without knowing more about your wife (which country she is from, if she has a job, if she has assets / property, if she has an extensive past travel history), it's difficult to say what her chances are of being approved. However it is typically more difficult for individuals to obtain visitor visas if they have a spouse in Canada since CIC may suspect that individual wants to say.

The other issue is that even with an approved visitor visa, there is a chance immigration officials could refuse her entry into Canada when she arrives - especially if they see she is pregnant. It would be best if she can travel before the pregnancy really starts showing.

Good luck.

Mordred

Nov 15, 2012
.... However it is typically more difficult for individuals to obtain visitor visas if they have a spouse in Canada since CIC may suspect that individual wants to say.

The other issue is that even with an approved visitor visa, there is a chance immigration officials could refuse her entry into Canada when she arrives - especially if they see she is pregnant. It would be best if she can travel before the pregnancy really starts showing.

Good luck.
[/quote]

Hi,
Thanks for your response. Actually, the plan is that I will sponsor her eventually but now the 2 year old has a condition that requires surgery.. Its not life threatening but it cannot wait forever. So do you think in the letter to the High Commission - I mention that moving permanently to Canada is in the plan but at the moment whatever visa they give her is what she will respect.
Are there immigration officers that I can ask for such specific advice in person or over the phone here in Canada???
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can call the CIC call centre. But they will just provide with the instructions for applying for a tourist visa. They can't give advice. If you want advice you would have to hire an immigration lawyer or consultant.

I'm not sure if your letter will make a difference. But you can certainly try. I would not mention moving permanently in your letter.