+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor's Visa Extension Questions (Part 2)

tailfeather

Dec 12, 2013
Hello again,

In the process of filling out the paperwork for the online extension application and I was hoping someone could help me with a few hiccups.

1) The application says, "If applicable, provide the document number of the most recent Visitor Record, Study Permit, Work Permit, or Temporary Resident Permit issued to you."

Obviously it says, 'If applicable' but I'm not sure if this refers to re-entry or initial entry. I arrived at the Pearson Toronto Airport and I do not believe I received a paper. (I did, however, receive papers to pass along as I went through customs, but that aside, nothing for myself that I can recall.) I do have a stamp in my passport listing date of expiration for my stay. Am I okay? Should I be concerned about this? What does this mean in relation to me?

Secondly...

2) My spouse and I were unaware until now that our completed marriage certificate (post-ceremony, waiting on certificate to be mailed) included an assumed name change. We are not interested in changing any last names at the moment and are a bit flustered over how to deal with them having filled this out this way since they never asked us. (And cringing over not having noticed it sooner.) Does CIC care if you have completed a legal name change [yet] or does this not really concern them in regards to extensions? I was planning to call the city hall tomorrow to discuss what to do about this and perhaps get a letter from someone there explaining the situation and what we're doing to back up our intentions. I want my application to be as clear and informational as possible. Should I be as concerned about this as I am?

Thanks so much in advance. This is a really stressful period for us so any help is terribly appreciated!