+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"visitors vehicles"

CeeGee

Star Member
Jan 31, 2010
My girlfriend , the riding instructor from California, who I am marrying in March will be crossing the border with me at the end of march. We are applying outland, and she is coming to Canada with me to wait out the application process.She has two vehicles-- a truck with a big back seatfor her 100 pound doderman, and a smaller car that she drives everyday. Is it possible for her as a "visitor"to bring in both Vehicles with her, me in one and her in the other?, and as a "visitor should she go ahead and export them from the US and import them to canada before she has permanent residence status? Or should she wait until the application process is complete?, both Vehicles are paid for. Could she transfer ownership to me, and go back in a week and pickup one of them without paying customs, taxes ETC? has anyone had the same problem?,what did you do? Friends Have offered to "buy "one of the Vehicles to help us--- would that be a way to get one vehilcle across the border? Thanks for you ideas.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
OK, we were in exactly the same situation - I was coming from California, we were married and he "spoke for me" at immigration to get me documented status to stay with him while awaiting finalization of the PR ap. We drove into Canada together in my car and immigration never raised an eyebrow - however, someone at Customs, as we were walking out, told us that if my Canadian husband was caught driving my car in Ontario without me in it, it would be impounded. Obviously they didn't realize I had added him to my California auto insurance policy - and, in fact, there were two occasions when he was "caught" driving it without me present and it wasn't an issue. The first was as a result of his ex trying to make trouble for us, and the second when when he was rear-ended on the freeway and the car was totaled.

That said - trying to bring two vehicles into Canada, at least at the same time, will be problematic. You will likely not be allowed by Canadian customs/immigration to drive a vehicle into the country that is not registered in your name. She can be with you in her car, but you can't bring one of her cars in by yourself. So the only option, that I see, for bringing a second vehicle in is to leave one States-side and then fly back (or take a bus/cab) in a few weeks and drive that one in, too. But remember, each time she leaves Canada, she'll have to go through an entrance interview again and there's always the chance that someone will get pi$$y and refuse her entry.

Bottom line, she can't import either vehicle until she has permanent residence. If she transfers ownership to you, you will have to pay duty, whereas, as a landing immigrant, she doesn't have to pay duties on either vehicle. If you can, it would probably be a lot easier to bring one up for her use and leave the other in the States until she has permanent status. Also, exporting and then importing vehicles is a bit time consuming and complicated - so you might want to review that information, too, before you even decide for sure that you want to import either car.

CeeGee

Star Member
Jan 31, 2010
thanks for the information, best to know that before you get to the border and try to bring both in!