+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor working remotely while waiting for PR

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hi,

I'm a non US citizen applying for family PR (Canadian spouse) and currently working remotely for a non-profit in US. They've agreed to let me work out of the country for about 3 months using my H1B and then we will move to a remote consultancy arrangement. I currently have a 6 month stamp that will expire in Feb. The PR process is definitely taking much longer than anticipated so I think I'll likely have to apply for a visitor visa extension in January.

From what I've read it seems like it's ok to work for a US company as a visitor in Canada as long as I'm not competing with Canadian labor force, which I am not since they don't have any presence in Canada. I am only worried if when I apply for visitor visa extension in Jan it will raise concerns from CIC about me stating I am still employed in US. Reading from other users it seems like several people did this but I'd just like to double check.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
It's no problem.

Just keep in mind you may need to fill out a Canadian tax return and pay your share in taxes to CRA.

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
It's no problem.

Just keep in mind you may need to fill out a Canadian tax return and pay your share in taxes to CRA.
Thanks Rob. Yes, I will comply with all tax requirements and pay whatever I owe Canada.