+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor with eTA with no return flight booked

aprillee

Star Member
Dec 8, 2015
I am from a visa-exempt country and I am planning to fly to Canada and stay there with my spouse who is an international student for 6 months. I have a bank statement of his bank account (around 17k dollars) and a printscreen of my account balance (around 4k dollars). I am not sure about the date I will be flying back home, so I am thinking of getting a one-way ticket. I wonder if any of you had any experience of travelling with one-way ticket. Will I have any issues at the airport? I am also in the pool for an IEC program.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You must have a return ticket when the immigration officer ask.

It's really easy to handle that: Buy a flight ticket from Air Canada website with your credit card. Cancel it before the deadline and there is no charges in doing so.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
aprillee said:
I am from a visa-exempt country and I am planning to fly to Canada and stay there with my spouse who is an international student for 6 months. I have a bank statement of his bank account (around 17k dollars) and a printscreen of my account balance (around 4k dollars). I am not sure about the date I will be flying back home, so I am thinking of getting a one-way ticket. I wonder if any of you had any experience of travelling with one-way ticket. Will I have any issues at the airport? I am also in the pool for an IEC program.
The ticket is not an issue by itself, the problem is you would be trying to enter as a visitor in order to LIVE with your spouse. The CBSA officer can very well give you a hard time for doing so and might limit your stay as not having a return ticket can be read as an attempt for overstaying.

aprillee

Star Member
Dec 8, 2015
Jalex23 said:
The ticket is not an issue by itself, the problem is you would be trying to enter as a visitor in order to LIVE with your spouse. The CBSA officer can very well give you a hard time for doing so and might limit your stay as not having a return ticket can be read as an attempt for overstaying.
I have been to Canada before and never overstayed my visits. I do plan to leave in summer, but I don't know the exact date as I don't know if I get an invite to apply for a work permit under IEC program. For this reason I am thinking of not getting a return ticket.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Most airlines won't let you board the flight on a TRV or eTA without a return flight. If you don't have a return ticket and get refused entry to Canada, the airline has is responsible for the flight out if you don't have a return ticket

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Not knowing where the OP is from but if flying across the Atlantic most return tickets are significantly cheaper than a one way, Air Transat excepted. However as per previous post without being a PR, Citizen or having a work or study permit it is likely an airline will not let the OP board with a one way ticket unless able to show onward travel from Canada.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Don't know if anyone has travelled without a return ticket, but my wife has been refused boarding by the airline on more than one occasion for not having a return flight. That is with a very strong history of not overstaying (travelling to and from Canada every 8 weeks for 1 1/2 years......9 trips in total) and having an application in processs. Airlines, generally, don't want to be stuck paying for the flight with no way to cover the cost if you are denied entry. You can try, but expect to be buying a return ticket at the airport the day of your flight.

And they also know if you have a flight on a different airline (we tried that approach once) and the reservation system they use is shared by all airlines. They can just look it up.

jennidech

Oct 17, 2017
Hey - just wondering what it is you did and what happened? Did you end up travelling with a one-way ticket? Me and my boyfriend are in the exact same situation and I was wondering if you had any advice for me?