+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visiting family who has a medical condition

asc456

Nov 12, 2018
Dear All,
I applied for my mom’s visa and got multiple entry visitor visa. She has arrived and after a couple of months we went on a road trip to the US (both of us with US visa and I have PR in Canada). But when we were back to Canada the six month did not reset. I know that I can apply for visitor record (extend her stay) since I have a medical condition. But I’ve heard she can’t leave the country and come back saying she has extension until this date. I don’t want to restrict her travel. But at the same time I need her support during this time. Is there anything that I can do? I can’t apply for her PR since they didn’t open it for applicants after 2020.

Also, can I apply for supervisa if she is in the US (at her nieces place).

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Dear All,
I applied for my mom’s visa and got multiple entry visitor visa. She has arrived and after a couple of months we went on a road trip to the US (both of us with US visa and I have PR in Canada). But when we were back to Canada the six month did not reset. I know that I can apply for visitor record (extend her stay) since I have a medical condition. But I’ve heard she can’t leave the country and come back saying she has extension until this date. I don’t want to restrict her travel. But at the same time I need her support during this time. Is there anything that I can do? I can’t apply for her PR since they didn’t open it for applicants after 2020.

Also, can I apply for supervisa if she is in the US (at her nieces place).
Your medical condition is not relevant. If she wants to remain in Canada then she applies for a visitor record. If she leaves then no need for visitor record. If she leaves and enters again so quickly, she can be denied entry because CBSA will be concerned she is living and not visiting Canada. Seems like she is trying to stay in Canada indefinitely.

If she is outside Canada, she can apply for a supervisa. She needs to pass the medical, get one year of health insurance and you need to meet LICO for the number of people in your family.

asc456

Nov 12, 2018
Your medical condition is not relevant. If she wants to remain in Canada then she applies for a visitor record. If she leaves then no need for visitor record. If she leaves and enters again so quickly, she can be denied entry because CBSA will be concerned she is living and not visiting Canada. Seems like she is trying to stay in Canada indefinitely.

If she is outside Canada, she can apply for a supervisa. She needs to pass the medical, get one year of health insurance and you need to meet LICO for the number of people in your family.
Thanks for replying.
How long does she need to stay outside Canada to not be denied re entry? And can she spend those time in the US?

I have done everything for supervisa. She just needs to apply. Can she apply by going to the US on visitor visa?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
How long does she need to stay outside Canada to not be denied re entry? And can she spend those time in the US?

I have done everything for supervisa. She just needs to apply. Can she apply by going to the US on visitor visa?
She can apply from the US. She can spend time There is no set time for staying outside but if she is leaving and entering Canada continually then CBSA can deny her entry at anytime under the suspicion that she is living in Canada. Also if not coming from home country and staying outside for at least 6 months, then again she can be denied entry. She will only know when she tries to re-enter Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for replying.

Applying for a supervisa from the US and not her home country is risky if she has not returned home for quite a while. She needs to prove ties to her home country on the supervisa while if at her niece’s home and in a 3rd country that doesn’t show strong ties to her home country. If she applies from the US and not her home country then there could be concerns about her ties to her home country and concerns that she will not return to her home country. Even if she gets a supervisa she will still be visiting and her stay will be dependent on being able to qualify and pay for supervisa insurance every year and CBSA agent assessment each time she enters Canada if you both plan on visiting the US in the future. The demand for parent sponsorship far exceeds the number of spaces which is why parent sponsorship is not guaranteed. You mention medical need do you have other family in Canada or are you in a relationship? How old is your mother and is she able to be a full-time caregiver if that is what you require? Impossible to comment about possible options without knowing about other support you have in Canada, whether this is an acute or chronic condition, whether this is a condition that will lead to end of life in a specific timeframe (for example in 5 years), whether your mother is healthy and her age (you typically have to be quite fit to be a caregiver), what are your limitations ane caregiving needs, etc.

asc456

Nov 12, 2018
Applying for a supervisa from the US and not her home country is risky if she has not returned home for quite a while. She needs to prove ties to her home country on the supervisa while if at her niece’s home and in a 3rd country that doesn’t show strong ties to her home country. If she applies from the US and not her home country then there could be concerns about her ties to her home country and concerns that she will not return to her home country. Even if she gets a supervisa she will still be visiting and her stay will be dependent on being able to qualify and pay for supervisa insurance every year and CBSA agent assessment each time she enters Canada if you both plan on visiting the US in the future. The demand for parent sponsorship far exceeds the number of spaces which is why parent sponsorship is not guaranteed. You mention medical need do you have other family in Canada or are you in a relationship? How old is your mother and is she able to be a full-time caregiver if that is what you require? Impossible to comment about possible options without knowing about other support you have in Canada, whether this is an acute or chronic condition, whether this is a condition that will lead to end of life in a specific timeframe (for example in 5 years), whether your mother is healthy and her age (you typically have to be quite fit to be a caregiver), what are your limitations ane caregiving needs, etc.
Thanks for replying.

My mother is 53 and completely fit (I have done supervisa upfront medical and nothing came up) and has never worked as a caregiver. I do have a husband in Canada and his sister. But that’s it. Since both of us work, and I have been diagnosed with something and I’m on treatment to prevent it from happening again, it’s better for me mentally if my mother is there to support me. I’m not physically impaired, hence I can work. But I have had a couple of surgeries. My father passed. And my other sibling stays in another country (not the US). Is there a way to apply to be my caregiver?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for replying.

My mother is 53 and completely fit (I have done supervisa upfront medical and nothing came up) and has never worked as a caregiver. I do have a husband in Canada and his sister. But that’s it. Since both of us work, and I have been diagnosed with something and I’m on treatment to prevent it from happening again, it’s better for me mentally if my mother is there to support me. I’m not physically impaired, hence I can work. But I have had a couple of surgeries. My father passed. And my other sibling stays in another country (not the US). Is there a way to apply to be my caregiver?
The caregiver option will take years unless you are in Quebec. Also, if you are able to work, you can expect IRCC will deny the application and say you don't need a caregiver. This isn't a realistic option.

Reactions: asc456

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for replying.

Given that you don’t seem to meet the requirements to need a caregiver your other applying for be a caregiver or applying for PR based on H&C needs to really seem to be possible options. Your mother can try to get a supervisa and then come to visit you but she should be planning on going home for an extended period of time between long visits to Canada. She is young and to care for herself. She may prefer to be in in Canada with her family but unless she gets selected for PGP she needs to be planning on spending time in her home country. I would suggest she return to her home country to apply for a supervisa so that she can show ties to her home country versus going back and for between the US and Canada.

asc456

Nov 12, 2018
Hi,

My mom came to Canada end of September ok visitor visa and I’m planning to apply for visitor extension. When can I apply for it and if I do apply and get approved, can she leave Canada and come back within a month from her home country and reset the visitor visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

My mom came to Canada end of September ok visitor visa and I’m planning to apply for visitor extension. When can I apply for it and if I do apply and get approved, can she leave Canada and come back within a month from her home country and reset the visitor visa?
You should apply for the extension when she is closed to the end of her allowed visit (I assume she was allowed into Canada for six months).

If she leaves Canada this cancels the extension.

She can certainly leave Canada and return within a month. However if and how long she is allowed back into Canada will be up to the CBSA officer she speaks to at immigration.

Reactions: asc456

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

If she has already had a long visit in Canada she should really be spending at least an equivalent period of time at her home. If not it could appear as though your mother is attempting to live in Canada and not visit. As previously mentioned if she only goes on a short visit home the increase her risk of being denied entry to Canada or of only being provided a short visit when she returns. Given the fact that your mother is only 53 she would also be expected to be working in her home country and there could be concerns that she is attempting to work in Canada