+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa - Work without Permit

stizmir

Sep 4, 2015
Hello to all,

I am staying in BC, Canada since the end of October. I have a multiple entrance Tourist visa valid till 2023. I am a freelancer in a social media management company that is located in UK. I am working online and all I need is a computer and a internet connection.
I would like to go back to work during my stay here and I am wondering if I need a working Permit or I can perform my work without a Permit.
I am doing business activity that is not part of the Canadian Labor Market. My company is located out of Canada, and the primary source of remuneration for the business activities is outside Canada; also the principal place of business and actual place of accrual of profits remain predominately outside Canada. In this case, am I considered a Business visitor to work without permit? :-\

Sources about work without permit, there is a list under the Jobs that do not need a work permit named:
Business visitors
Business visitors who come to Canada to do business activities but are not part of the Canadian labour market.
Note: “Business people” does not mean the same thing.
From CIC website

And there is another source I found which says:
Division 3 - Work Without a Permit
Marginal note:No permit required

186. A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit
(a) as a business visitor to Canada within the meaning of section 187;
187. (1) For the purposes of paragraph 186(a), a business visitor to Canada is a foreign national who is described in subsection (2) or who seeks to engage in international business activities in Canada without directly entering the Canadian labour market.
Marginal note:Specific cases

(2) The following foreign nationals are business visitors:

(a) foreign nationals purchasing Canadian goods or services for a foreign business or government, or receiving training or familiarization in respect of such goods or services;

(b) foreign nationals receiving or giving training within a Canadian parent or subsidiary of the corporation that employs them outside Canada, if any production of goods or services that results from the training is incidental; and

(c) foreign nationals representing a foreign business or government for the purpose of selling goods for that business or government, if the foreign national is not engaged in making sales to the general public in Canada.
Marginal note:Factors

(3) For the purpose of subsection (1), a foreign national seeks to engage in international business activities in Canada without directly entering the Canadian labour market only if

(a) the primary source of remuneration for the business activities is outside Canada; and

(b) the principal place of business and actual place of accrual of profits remain predominately outside Canada.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
So you are remoting right?

That is fine.

You need a WP if you are employed by a Canadian company or you conduct business in Canada. You are remoting and working somewhere else so that is perfectly fine....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As long as aren't doing any work for Canadian clients, Canadian contract, Canadian companies then you are OK. As soon as your work touches Canada, you're working illegally and need a work permit. That's the basic rule.