+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa & Work Permit

nancyb

Oct 25, 2019
I have recently got married with my husband who is Canadian citizen. However my visa and my work permit will be expired soon in February 22 2020. What should I do for now? Should I apply to extend my visa as a visitor? Or do I need to wait for the marriage certificate to be delivered to us to be able to apply for sponsorship and work permit? please give me some advise. Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have recently got married with my husband who is Canadian citizen. However my visa and my work permit will be expired soon in February 22 2020. What should I do for now? Should I apply to extend my visa as a visitor? Or do I need to wait for the marriage certificate to be delivered to us to be able to apply for sponsorship and work permit? please give me some advise. Thank you
You need the marriage certificate in order to apply for sponsorship. You can wait until much closer to the work permit expiry date to apply to change your status to visitor.

nancyb

Oct 25, 2019
should i apply for visitor visa with my sponsorship application and work permit? do you know how long i can stay in canada under visitor visa?

nancyb

Oct 25, 2019
After marriage, we have to wait 6-8 weeks to apply for marriage certificate. By the time we receive the marriage certificate, my work permit is already expired. Can I apply for my work permit before the sponsorship? and then update my marriage certificated after if the government request? Please let me know. Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
should i apply for visitor visa with my sponsorship application and work permit? do you know how long i can stay in canada under visitor visa?
No. A visitor app is separate. You can stay however long IRCC gives you.

After marriage, we have to wait 6-8 weeks to apply for marriage certificate. By the time we receive the marriage certificate, my work permit is already expired. Can I apply for my work permit before the sponsorship? and then update my marriage certificated after if the government request? Please let me know. Thanks
No, you can't apply for the work permit before. You can only apply for it WITH the inland PR app, which requires the marriage certificate. See if you can request urgent processing for the marriage cert.