+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa validation question

sjpandey

Oct 15, 2008
Hello,
My mother has a 5 years visitor visa expiring at the end December, 2013 (The visitor visa stamp on the passport says valid from
Jan 1st 2009 to Dec 31st, 2013). She came to Toronto with me yesterday and the immigration officer stamped her passport with yesterday's date saying she has a visa for 6 months now (valid till March 9, 2014). I'm little confused now. Her original visa stamp says valid till Dec 31st, 2013 but the immigration officer at the airport says the visa is valid for 6 months until March 9th. Which one is true ? Can you please help ? Thanks

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
The Visa Validity date and time permitted to stay in Canada are two different things
when a visa is issued, the visa holder must enter Canada on or before the valid dates i.e (Dec 31st, 2013)
If the visa is multiple, she can enter and leave as much as possible but up until the valid dates.

when the holder enters Canada, the maximum time allowed to stay is 6months except otherwise stamped
so in her case, she has a valid TRV expiring Dec 31st, 2013, she entered Canada yesterday and she was given the maximum 6 months to stay.

If she leaves Canada after Dec 31st, 2013, she will need a new visa to enter as the visa would have expired by then.

hope this helps

good luck !!!

sjpandey

Oct 15, 2008
Thanks guys. I heard that she is allowed to apply for 2 years extended stay if she is already in Canada and has a valid Medical Insurance for a year. Do you think it will apply in her case ? Please let me know.Thanks