Med's Done....
01/2015
Passport Req..
04/2015
VISA ISSUED...
05/2015
LANDED..........
11/2015
I lived in US on H1 for over 10 years and I moved to Canada in early January this year. I still got few unfinished personal-business to take care in US and I have to be there in-person. When will be the good time to apply for a Visitor VISA to US, so that my application won't be rejected. Is there any minimum wait time to apply for the visa after moving out? Per my friend - It takes 180 days to establish one's residency at a given place and he asked me to wait until such time before applying for the VISA. I couldn't find any such rule to wait for 6 months or so anywhere. Have any of you guys applied US visa immediately after coming to Canada?

kevon2310

Jul 13, 2016
gprasad.n said:
I lived in US on H1 for over 10 years and I moved to Canada in early January this year. I still got few unfinished personal-business to take care in US and I have to be there in-person. When will be the good time to apply for a Visitor VISA to US, so that my application won't be rejected. Is there any minimum wait time to apply for the visa after moving out? Per my friend - It takes 180 days to establish one's residency at a given place and he asked me to wait until such time before applying for the VISA. I couldn't find any such rule to wait for 6 months or so anywhere. Have any of you guys applied US visa immediately after coming to Canada?
You might want to ask a US consulate that question as they would be your best bet.

As a side bar, you indicated you had live in the USA on H1 for over 10 years, didnt your company apply for US green card for you?

gprasad.n

Star Member
Jun 1, 2015
USA
App. Filed.......
06/2014
Med's Request
12/2014
Med's Done....
01/2015
Passport Req..
04/2015
VISA ISSUED...
05/2015
LANDED..........
11/2015
kevon2310 said:
You might want to ask a US consulate that question as they would be your best bet.
I have lots of experience with US consulate. Asking them is NOT the best per my experience, you've to apply for VISA first - getting it or not up to the discretion of the officer.

As a side bar, you indicated you had live in the USA on H1 for over 10 years, didnt your company apply for US green card for you?
I don't want to discuss about it sorry.

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
There is no such 6-month rule. As I understand, the VO will evaluate you on these factors:

1) Status in Canada
2) Job & Property in Canada
3) Amount of time spent in Canada
4) Past Visa status in the US

If you are a PR and have a job, and living in Canada, then those are strong reasons that you won't be a potential immigrant to US.

The VO will decide depending on how they feel about your case.

kamalnba

Star Member
Oct 27, 2011
Hi Experts,

Hope you are doing well.

I have recently got my COPR from Canada, have plan to visit soon and activate the PR. Before Activating the PR, I am planning to travel to US with Family for Vacation.

While filling DS-160 Form, There was a question for Permanent Residency for any other country other than Origin. Can you please help with you expert advise on mentioning Canadian PR status on the application.

Thank you.

Regards
Kamal Goswami

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi Experts,

Hope you are doing well.

I have recently got my COPR from Canada, have plan to visit soon and activate the PR. Before Activating the PR, I am planning to travel to US with Family for Vacation.

While filling DS-160 Form, There was a question for Permanent Residency for any other country other than Origin. Can you please help with you expert advise on mentioning Canadian PR status on the application.

Thank you.

Regards
Kamal Goswami
have you landed?
if not, your Permanent Residence is not yet Granted
both Canada cbsa and US uscbp share information
at interview you should mention it

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
I have lots of experience with US consulate. Asking them is NOT the best per my experience, you've to apply for VISA first - getting it or not up to the discretion of the officer.

I don't want to discuss about it sorry.
I like your last point on green card

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
My friend got it within 5 months of moving to Canada on PR. He was on H1B for 5 years in US and his GC had been initiated by an old employer (i140 done).

I applied after 10 months of living here and got B1/B2 approved. I too had i140 in US from an old employer.

One of the questions I was asked is: "Do you work for same US employer?" I dont, but not sure what the result would have been if i was.

I had taken all sorts of documents (paystubs, bank statements, rental lease....), VO didnt ask for anything.

cram2017

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Our H1B expired in december after almost 10 years on it. we moved to canada in sep 2017, went for our us visitor visa interview in feb 2018. the only question the officer asked us was whether we would go back to the US and what were our ties to canada.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Our H1B expired in december after almost 10 years on it. we moved to canada in sep 2017, went for our us visitor visa interview in feb 2018. the only question the officer asked us was whether we would go back to the US and what were our ties to canada.
So, go back to US like permanently? Is that what they meant when they asked that question? I have my H1B valid till early next year and work for the same employer but from Canada, so wondering.

cram2017

Star Member
May 12, 2017
So, go back to US like permanently? Is that what they meant when they asked that question? I have my H1B valid till early next year and work for the same employer but from Canada, so wondering.
Yes show strong ties to Canada and the visitor visa will be smooth. even if your h1b is valid, if you do not have a payroll in america then its not valid. please check on that.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Yes show strong ties to Canada and the visitor visa will be smooth. even if your h1b is valid, if you do not have a payroll in america then its not valid. please check on that.
Little confused. So, H1B valid, Payroll running in Canada but for the same U.S. company, Would this be good enough for visitor visa?

aquafinabb

Jul 4, 2018
Hi @greencard14
Am wondering if you could provide a follow up if you appeared for your interview.

Similar to other commenters on the thread, I was in the States on H1B (expiration 9/19). Landed in Canada as PR (2/18).
Working for same parent company in States, but payroll is running in Canada.

I have my interview scheduled for later this month (B1/B2), and would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Reactions: pseetha

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
Hi @greencard14
Am wondering if you could provide a follow up if you appeared for your interview.

Similar to other commenters on the thread, I was in the States on H1B (expiration 9/19). Landed in Canada as PR (2/18).
Working for same parent company in States, but payroll is running in Canada.

I have my interview scheduled for later this month (B1/B2), and would appreciate any input.

Thanks
Just curious, why can't you use your h1b to come in?