+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa to Canada for person accompanying a Permanent Resident

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
Hi,

My mother will be accompanying me during my first landing in Canada as a PR. She will be going on a visitor visa. She has provided her purpose of visit as "Tourism". CIC has asked her to fill a form, which asks for the following details: Names, address of the person/institution that she will visit.

Since she is accompanying me, and there is no other purpose of the visit, what should she write for the above question?

Also, is "Tourism" the correct purpose or should she choose "Others". The problem is if she chooses "Others", the application requires a letter of invitation from someone in Canada. We don't have anyone in Canada.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

BHAV

Aug 1, 2014
Hi,

My mother will be accompanying me during my first landing in Canada as a PR. She will be going on a visitor visa. She has provided her purpose of visit as "Tourism". CIC has asked her to fill a form, which asks for the following details: Names, address of the person/institution that she will visit.

Since she is accompanying me, and there is no other purpose of the visit, what should she write for the above question?

Also, is "Tourism" the correct purpose or should she choose "Others". The problem is if she chooses "Others", the application requires a letter of invitation from someone in Canada. We don't have anyone in Canada.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
It will be better that you land first and then invite your mother.Your mother has to show that she has ties to India like job,property. family in india and show funds that she can bear the expenses for a three weeks visit- approx Rs 1000 cad per week.The visa for a long visit may not be granted

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
It will be better that you land first and then invite your mother.Your mother has to show that she has ties to India like job,property. family in india and show funds that she can bear the expenses for a three weeks visit- approx Rs 1000 cad per week.The visa for a long visit may not be granted
My mother has very strong ties here. She has a government job and all her savings are tied up in the Provident Fund, so she cannot just leave the job. Since she is accompanying me with the purpose of helping me settle in the initial 2 weeks, it doesn't make sense to invite her later. She will be staying for around 2 weeks. So I have the following questions:

1) What can I write as her purpose of visit? Will writing "Tourism" be safer? Will it be a misrepresentation of any kind?
2) Can I write a letter of invitation for her even though I don't live in Canada?

BHAV

Aug 1, 2014
My mother has very strong ties here. She has a government job and all her savings are tied up in the Provident Fund, so she cannot just leave the job. Since she is accompanying me with the purpose of helping me settle in the initial 2 weeks, it doesn't make sense to invite her later. She will be staying for around 2 weeks. So I have the following questions:

1) What can I write as her purpose of visit? Will writing "Tourism" be safer? Will it be a misrepresentation of any kind?
2) Can I write a letter of invitation for her even though I don't live in Canada?
1 For tourism you need to submit a proof where she shall be staying.like hotel booking and day to day activity,places to be visited etc.
Please note that rejection rate for TRV is very high
2 You cannot write a invitation letter as of now since you are not in Canada yet.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Agreed.

Purpose of visit of wanting to help you settle in Canada will not work/will result in a TRV refusal because:
1. IRCC will believe that your mom is moving to Canada to be with you long-term

2. Your mom is not familiar with Canada/Canadian living (even for basics). So, she cannot really help you to "settle" even if it is for a couple of weeks.

3. Most people "settle" on their own without their parents accompanying them

4. Your mom does not have previous travel history to countries that have stringent visa processes

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My mother has very strong ties here. She has a government job and all her savings are tied up in the Provident Fund, so she cannot just leave the job. Since she is accompanying me with the purpose of helping me settle in the initial 2 weeks, it doesn't make sense to invite her later. She will be staying for around 2 weeks.
Unlike employment in the corporate sector where employment can be terminated for not returning to work after the leave period is over, government employment is complacent and sabbaticals can be easily extended.

BTW Provident Fund can easily be withdrawn if two months have elapsed after a salaried employee's last employment or if s/he is unemployed. So, it is not really a strong reason to return to.

I recommend you invite your mom after you have landed and settled as a PR

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
1 For tourism you need to submit a proof where she shall be staying.like hotel booking and day to day activity,places to be visited etc.
Please note that rejection rate for TRV is very high
2 You cannot write a invitation letter as of now since you are not in Canada yet.
Yes. I am planning to book an Airbnb for my expected dates of travel. So I can show that?

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
Unlike employment in the corporate sector where employment can be terminated for not returning to work after the leave period is over, government employment is complacent and sabbaticals can be easily extended.

BTW Provident Fund can easily be withdrawn if two months have elapsed after a salaried employee's last employment or if s/he is unemployed. So, it is not really a strong reason to return to.

I recommend you invite your mom after you have landed and settled as a PR
So I can provide the purpose as "Tourism" right ? That should be safer ?

apsarkar

Star Member
Mar 21, 2017
Agreed.

Purpose of visit of wanting to help you settle in Canada will not work/will result in a TRV refusal because:
1. IRCC will believe that your mom is moving to Canada to be with you long-term

2. Your mom is not familiar with Canada/Canadian living (even for basics). So, she cannot really help you to "settle" even if it is for a couple of weeks.

3. Most people "settle" on their own without their parents accompanying them

4. Your mom does not have previous travel history to countries that have stringent visa processes
So can I provide her purpose of visit as "Tourism". Would really appreciate if I could get help on how to make her application successful. Thanks ..

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes. I am planning to book an Airbnb for my expected dates of travel. So I can show that?
For tourism, she don't have to get an invitation letter. Yes, an itinerary will do. No need to provide hotel bookings for now.

Astha Desai

Jan 9, 2020
@apsarkar

Did your mother got her TRV approved? I'm curious as I'm planning the same. My husband wants to accompany me while i enter Canada as PR for the first time.

Astha Desai

Jan 9, 2020
Yes, her visa was approved.
Wow.. that's great. I believe you gave the purpose of her visit as it was, that she's coming to help you settle down in Canada. Or did you show it as Tourism purpose?

Thank you for your quick response by the way..