+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa - Request for passport received but passport expiring in 6 months

njoseph

Aug 28, 2019
Hello!

I had applied for Canada visitor visa for my parents in Dec 2020 and they gave their biometrics on July 2021. Since then it's been a long wait with no response from IRCC. My parents have now finally received the request to send their passports for stamping the visa, however their passport expiry is in another 6 months from now.

Does anyone know if it's acceptable to renew the passport and then send it for visa stamping as they have 30 days to do this? My concern is that the application is submitted with their current passport number and was wondering if this will cause any issue during visa stamping.

Any information on how this situation can be handled would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

inder13

Dec 17, 2018
I feel the expiry date of the visa will be same as expiry date of current passport so I would not recommend renewing the passport. They can visit once and then you can apply for their super visa on return with a renewed passport. The persons with more experience might be able to give more inputs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello!

I had applied for Canada visitor visa for my parents in Dec 2020 and they gave their biometrics on July 2021. Since then it's been a long wait with no response from IRCC. My parents have now finally received the request to send their passports for stamping the visa, however their passport expiry is in another 6 months from now.

Does anyone know if it's acceptable to renew the passport and then send it for visa stamping as they have 30 days to do this? My concern is that the application is submitted with their current passport number and was wondering if this will cause any issue during visa stamping.

Any information on how this situation can be handled would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
How long will it take for them to get a new passport?