+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa refusal - Widowed mother.

elvin_91

Nov 23, 2017
Azerbaijan
hello everyone,

we recently got visitor visa refusal for my mother, (and one of the reasons VO stated was that she is widowed and may not return to home country. )

Although i have attached her financial assets (house, land, bank accounts) and plus employment letter, officer didn't make a favourable decision.

I wonder if anyone was able to get a visa after this kind of situation, particularly widowed applicant? if yes what arguments you used?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
hello everyone,

we recently got visitor visa refusal for my mother, (and one of the reasons VO stated was that she is widowed and may not return to home country. )

Although i have attached her financial assets (house, land, bank accounts) and plus employment letter, officer didn't make a favourable decision.

I wonder if anyone was able to get a visa after this kind of situation, particularly widowed applicant? if yes what arguments you used?
What were all the reasons for refusal? So being widowed was listed specifically as the reason for refusal or was it lack of ties to home country or family in Canada?

Reactions: elvin_91

elvin_91

Nov 23, 2017
Azerbaijan
What were all the reasons for refusal? So being widowed was listed specifically as the reason for refusal or was it lack of ties to home country or family in Canada?
It was actually ties to home and Canada, but i got Detailed report and there officer was mentioning that She is widowed and has mobility.

***I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.

I am planning to list explicitly all family members back home, and stress her employment with return dates back to work, and get a doctor report for uncle who is disabled and my mom takes care of him in home country.

Also i am not sure how to handle ties to Canada, I am PR and she visits me for short term. I am the only tie in Canada

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It was actually ties to home and Canada, but i got Detailed report and there officer was mentioning that She is widowed and has mobility.

***I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.

I am planning to list explicitly all family members back home, and stress her employment with return dates back to work, and get a doctor report for uncle who is disabled and my mom takes care of him in home country.

Also i am not sure how to handle ties to Canada, I am PR and she visits me for short term. I am the only tie in Canada
Show a short visit with:
- employment letter and approved leave
- other reasons to return home - investment properties etc.
- family ties: Her immediate family is her spouse and children. Include the doctor’s note and include how is care is 24/7. Is he living with her? If so include that information. Being extended family may or may not be factored in. So you need to show how she cares for him, lives with him(?) and has no other caregivers.
- Does she have other children in your home country?

elvin_91

Nov 23, 2017
Azerbaijan
Show a short visit with:
- employment letter and approved leave
- other reasons to return home - investment properties etc.
- family ties: Her immediate family is her spouse and children. Include the doctor’s note and include how is care is 24/7. Is he living with her? If so include that information. Being extended family may or may not be factored in. So you need to show how she cares for him, lives with him(?) and has no other caregivers.
- Does she have other children in your home country?
The decision made is a bit odd to be honest:

- I have placed house, land and bank accounts under her name.
- Had employment but it was not saying the leave and return date. That is something i will ask them to add.
- Mom is nurse so she takes care of grandmom, and once a year she goes to Russia to take care of my uncle (he lives there) - I can support this by referencing to her stamps in passport for the past 5 years already and a letter from my uncle (together with official disability report).
- She has a son in home country. (and also she has Mother, Father, Brother and Sister) - Husband passed away.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

- Had employment but it was not saying the leave and return date. That is something i will ask them to add.
- Mom is nurse so she takes care of grandmom, and once a year she goes to Russia to take care of my uncle (he lives there) - I can support this by referencing to her stamps in passport for the past 5 years already and a letter from my uncle (together with official disability report).
- She has a son in home country. (and also she has Mother, Father, Brother and Sister) - Husband passed away.
She needs a letter of leave. She needs to show reasons to return to home country. Your uncle is not a tie if he doesn’t live in her home country. Going once a year to take care of him in another country is not a tie. If she is a caregiver of her grandmother then that is a stronger tie so include her duties as a caregiver. If not, her grandmother being there is not really considered. Her immediate family is her son. Include what she does to help him.

When you say “placed” in her name….what does that mean?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

One of the issues is if it was your savings and your home and that you put in your mother’s name. If it is clear that she hasn’t earned all the money then it is less of a tie. Did you recently put all these things in her name?

Reactions: Naturgrl

elvin_91

Nov 23, 2017
Azerbaijan
One of the issues is if it was your savings and your home and that you put in your mother’s name. If it is clear that she hasn’t earned all the money then it is less of a tie. Did you recently put all these things in her name?
It has been already more than 2 years that she has land under her name. And house as well. She sold her previous house and bought new one. At that time i was out of country. There was no name changes. It has always been under her name

elvin_91

Nov 23, 2017
Azerbaijan
She needs a letter of leave. She needs to show reasons to return to home country. Your uncle is not a tie if he doesn’t live in her home country. Going once a year to take care of him in another country is not a tie. If she is a caregiver of her grandmother then that is a stronger tie so include her duties as a caregiver. If not, her grandmother being there is not really considered. Her immediate family is her son. Include what she does to help him.

When you say “placed” in her name….what does that mean?
Oh placed means declared to visa officer. NOT like transfered from someone else's name.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Oh placed means declared to visa officer. NOT like transfered from someone else's name.
Ok. So they are her own assets, home and land. She wasn’t gifted any of it. Assets aside she needs to strenghten her ties to her home country not to her brother who is in another country.

elvin_91

Nov 23, 2017
Azerbaijan
Ok. So they are her own assets, home and land. She wasn’t gifted any of it. Assets aside she needs to strenghten her ties to her home country not to her brother who is in another country.
Got you. Thanks.

What would you say for the "Strong ties to Canada" argument? I mean she visits me here in Canada. I wasnt sure about that

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Got you. Thanks.

What would you say for the "Strong ties to Canada" argument? I mean she visits me here in Canada. I wasnt sure about that
You have to show that she has a strong reason to return. Her most important seems to be her job so she needs a letter from her employer granting her leave to visit. Keep visit to around 3 weeks. Any longer and then IRCC will wonder why her vacation time is so long.

elvin_91

Nov 23, 2017
Azerbaijan
You have to show that she has a strong reason to return. Her most important seems to be her job so she needs a letter from her employer granting her leave to visit. Keep visit to around 3 weeks. Any longer and then IRCC will wonder why her vacation time is so long.
Makes sense. Thank you