+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa or SOWP?

Android16

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
Hi all,
My wife had applied for SOWP but got rejected because i forgot to attach my employment letter. Now she wants to apply for visitor visa !
Is it a good idea ? She left her current job so that she could come here, so how should we approach this case? To show strong ties back home?

Thanks

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Hi all,
My wife had applied for SOWP but got rejected because i forgot to attach my employment letter. Now she wants to apply for visitor visa !
Is it a good idea ? She left her current job so that she could come here, so how should we approach this case? To show strong ties back home?

Thanks

If she left her job then I would assume she is coming to live with you. In that case a TRV is out of the question.

Submit a new SOWP application with all missing information.

Reactions: Bryanna

Android16

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
If she left her job then I would assume she is coming to live with you. In that case a TRV is out of the question.

Submit a new SOWP application with all missing information.
Thank you for your reply.
I was thinking the same, but a lot of people especially indian agents/consultants are suggesting visitor visa.
Do you happen to know about global skills strategy? Spouse can apply under this program that processes application in 2 weeks, heres the link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-foreign-worker/temporary/global-skills-strategy.html

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
I was thinking the same, but a lot of people especially indian agents/consultants are suggesting visitor visa.
Do you happen to know about global skills strategy? Spouse can apply under this program that processes application in 2 weeks, heres the link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-foreign-worker/temporary/global-skills-strategy.html
If you are from india then please ask @Bryanna to help you.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@Jalex23 is right. A TRV won't work for your wife because it would be a challenge to prove that she is visiting temporarily, especially if she is no longer employed.

Is your wife studying? Has she traveled to visa-required countries? Does she have a strong financial situation? Do you have children who live with your wife? Does your wife own property/realty?

Not sure if you applied for a WP through the Global Skills Strategy program. However, you should have applied for your wife at the same time as when you had applied for a WP.

Your only option is for your wife to apply for a SOWP

Android16

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
@Jalex23 is right. A TRV won't work for your wife because it would be a challenge to prove that she is visiting temporarily, especially if she is no longer employed.

Is your wife studying? Has she traveled to visa-required countries? Does she have a strong financial situation? Do you have children who live with your wife? Does your wife own property/realty?

Not sure if you applied for a WP through the Global Skills Strategy program. However, you should have applied for your wife at the same time as when you had applied for a WP.

Your only option is for your wife to apply for a SOWP
Thank you @Jalex23
@Bryanna My wife is not currently studying, she has not traveled to countries outside India, She has some fixed deposits, some savings and some liquid money ( not very strong i guess ). We dont have children and she does not have any property on her name.

The thing is, I know that my case isnt strong for visitor, but i had applied for SOWP and it got rejected stating that under International Mobility Program, my job is not under NOC 0, A or B, I then realized that I missed out on uploading my employment letter or offer letter. (My job is under NOC A). I sent documents via CSE, also asked local MP to inquire, response was that the case is still closed and that i should apply again.

All the agents/consultants in mumbai do not know about SOWP and insists on visitor visa. And my wife doesnt trust me anymore with application :p, hence she wants to go through agents/consultants.

Any advice? Very much appreciate your help

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My wife is not currently studying, she has not traveled to countries outside India, She has some fixed deposits, some savings and some liquid money ( not very strong i guess ). We dont have children and she does not have any property on her name.
This again confirms that a TRV is ruled out.

The thing is, I know that my case isnt strong for visitor, but i had applied for SOWP and it got rejected stating that under International Mobility Program, my job is not under NOC 0, A or B, I then realized that I missed out on uploading my employment letter or offer letter. (My job is under NOC A). I sent documents via CSE, also asked local MP to inquire, response was that the case is still closed and that i should apply again.
That's correct. Reapplying for a SOWP is the only way forward.

All the agents/consultants in mumbai do not know about SOWP and insists on visitor visa. And my wife doesnt trust me anymore with application :p, hence she wants to go through agents/consultants.
Too bad this. The agents will get their fees.... and your wife will get another visa refusal = a lose-lose situation

Any advice? Very much appreciate your help
Guess she thinks because the SOWP was refused earlier, it's futile to reapply for one. That's probably why she is buying the travel agents' (bad) advice to submit a TRV application.

Advice?
1. Compile a list of similar cases where spouses of WP holders were refused TRVs for lack of strong ties. I'm sure you'll find many cases. Hopefully, it would convince her not to apply for a TRV.

2. Let her have her way and apply for a TRV. If she's granted a TRV then that would be fantastic.... otherwise

Reactions: Android16

Android16

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
This again confirms that a TRV is ruled out.

That's correct. Reapplying for a SOWP is the only way forward.

Too bad this. The agents will get their fees.... and your wife will get another visa refusal = a lose-lose situation

Guess she thinks because the SOWP was refused earlier, it's futile to reapply for one. That's probably why she is buying the travel agents' (bad) advice to submit a TRV application.

Advice?
1. Compile a list of similar cases where spouses of WP holders were refused TRVs for lack of strong ties. I'm sure you'll find many cases. Hopefully, it would convince her not to apply for a TRV.

2. Let her have her way and apply for a TRV. If she's granted a TRV then that would be fantastic.... otherwise
Super helpful, Thanks !
Does she have to mention in her letter of explanation why she was refused work permit ? Also i heard that you have to show strong ties back home even if you apply for spouse work permit? is that true? because i didnt show much for the first application and got rejection mentioning only about NOC job code.

What i had attached :
Me:
Passport (all pages along with work permit)
Pay stubs - 6 months
Bank Balance
Canadian Driver's License

Her:
Passport(all pages) - No travel history though
Her pay stubs - 6 months ( previous employer - she had just resigned )
Bank statements
Digital Photo

Common:
Marriage Certificate
Marriage photos
Old photos / email / chat( we were in relationship since 8 years )

Family information Form
Temporary Work permit made outside canada form
Temporary Resident Visa form

I know i missed out on employment letter, but did I miss anything else?

asaxena26

Oct 27, 2018
Super helpful, Thanks !
Does she have to mention in her letter of explanation why she was refused work permit ? Also i heard that you have to show strong ties back home even if you apply for spouse work permit? is that true? because i didnt show much for the first application and got rejection mentioning only about NOC job code.

What i had attached :
Me:
Passport (all pages along with work permit)
Pay stubs - 6 months
Bank Balance
Canadian Driver's License

Her:
Passport(all pages) - No travel history though
Her pay stubs - 6 months ( previous employer - she had just resigned )
Bank statements
Digital Photo

Common:
Marriage Certificate
Marriage photos
Old photos / email / chat( we were in relationship since 8 years )

Family information Form
Temporary Work permit made outside canada form
Temporary Resident Visa form

I know i missed out on employment letter, but did I miss anything else?

Hi buddy , I have similar case as you.By any chance can I contact you?Bryanna also suggested me to go for SOWP instead of TRV as my wife's TRV got rejected because I forgot to show my complete financial asset.
Kindly mail me your contact number on asaxena26@ymail.com, it would be of great help.