+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa- Mother from South Africa- No real ties/finances

canadasnk

Mar 11, 2017
Hello everybody,

I am looking for guidance on a successful visitor visa application for my mother in law to visit me, my husband, and our son for 2 weeks. I did my husbands visitor and PR which was successful but things may be a little more difficult for my mother in law. She was a homemaker for her whole life and is now at an age where she wouldn't be working. She has been living with her boyfriend for the last 6 years, however everything is in his name, and he earns the money/pays the bills. Her funds are limited due to the fact that her boyfriend is pretty much in charge of the finances and bills, giving her money when she needs. Could her boyfriend write a letter of some sort stating this, he is rather well established with his own company? She also isn't really well travelled, besides travel within Africa. Can anyone advise on how best to address the situation or what documents we can try to gather given the fact nothing is really in her name and given the fact she doesn't work. How would we best show ties to the country with nothing in her name, she does also have a son and grandchildren there. Are there things we should speak about/stay away from speaking about in an invite letter?

Thank you all!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everybody,

I am looking for guidance on a successful visitor visa application for my mother in law to visit me, my husband, and our son for 2 weeks. I did my husbands visitor and PR which was successful but things may be a little more difficult for my mother in law. She was a homemaker for her whole life and is now at an age where she wouldn't be working. She has been living with her boyfriend for the last 6 years, however everything is in his name, and he earns the money/pays the bills. Her funds are limited due to the fact that her boyfriend is pretty much in charge of the finances and bills, giving her money when she needs. Could her boyfriend write a letter of some sort stating this, he is rather well established with his own company? She also isn't really well travelled, besides travel within Africa. Can anyone advise on how best to address the situation or what documents we can try to gather given the fact nothing is really in her name and given the fact she doesn't work. How would we best show ties to the country with nothing in her name, she does also have a son and grandchildren there. Are there things we should speak about/stay away from speaking about in an invite letter?

Thank you all!
Did you get remarried? Based on previous posts he had been charged with domestic violence and this was a marriage of convenience.

canadasnk

Mar 11, 2017
Did you get remarried? Based on previous posts he had been charged with domestic violence and this was a marriage of convenience.
No I am not remarried. I’m separated, however, trying to help my child’s grandmother come here for a visit to see her grandson whom she has not met yet.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No I am not remarried. I’m separated, however, trying to help my child’s grandmother come here for a visit to see her grandson whom she has not met yet.
Was going to suggest a supervisa as a potential option but if you're separated your ex would need to qualify. Would he qualify? Currently she would also have to stay over 15 days because of quarantine. The fact that she isn't married makes it difficult to count her boyfriend's assets as hers. Is there something like common law in South Africa?

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@canadasnk

Based on the post couple years ago, someone mentioned about showing money. Since you said the boyfriend gives her money when she needs, then isn't there no financial issues? She could had tried for a TRV two years ago.