+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa from inside Canada for a dependent child

rashi fal

Apr 6, 2020
Dear all,
I am an international student in BC. I have my two kids with me .
Recently I have extended my study permit and the visitor records of my kids.
No I will submit my TRV application from inside Canada online.
For My kids , I used to submit it on paper from VAC in Jordan.
Now the VAC in Jordan is closed and refers me to a link to submit online.
However the check list of forms is for those applying from inside Canada to extend their stay as visitors (visitor record), not a TRV forms.
When I fill the questioner on my account to submit for them with my application I still get the visitor record extension application forms for them.
Please advise

maba

Star Member
May 21, 2014
Dear all,
However the check list of forms is for those applying from inside Canada to extend their stay as visitors (visitor record), not a TRV forms.
When I fill the questioner on my account to submit for them with my application I still get the visitor record extension application forms for them.
Please advise
I am in the same situation as you are. I applied as per online instructions. They issued me the visa but my kids applications were canceled after 4 months without explaining. Upon inquiry they refer me to the same ircc website links which explain nothing. Please let me know if you apply and what forms do you use for your children. I used form IMM5257 for myself and IMM5708 for my children as suggested. Following is the answer of my inquiry.

We invite you to verify the information listed below in order to confirm if the application you submitted reflects your situation correctly. If:

• You are a visitor and are looking to extend your stay:
  • You require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada:
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the same situation as you are. I applied as per online instructions. They issued me the visa but my kids applications were canceled after 4 months without explaining. Upon inquiry they refer me to the same ircc website links which explain nothing. Please let me know if you apply and what forms do you use for your children. I used form IMM5257 for myself and IMM5708 for my children as suggested. Following is the answer of my inquiry.

We invite you to verify the information listed below in order to confirm if the application you submitted reflects your situation correctly. If:

Thanks
What is your current situation exactly.

Kruschev

Oct 11, 2019
Dear all,
Please advise
Hi rashi fal,

Sorry I have no suggestion on your situation. But may I ask how did you get the visa record for your child? Did you apply the visa record for your child included in your study permit application or you applied vistor visa for your child and then extended it to a visitor visa? If you extended it, did you do it while you were entering canada at the airport or issued the application online after you have entered canada.

Thank you very much.

rashi fal

Apr 6, 2020

Thanks
Hi,
For my kids application to remain in canada as visitors (not TRV), i submitted: 5257b_1 and 5708 and their passports

rashi fal

Apr 6, 2020
Hi rashi fal,

Sorry I have no suggestion on your situation. But may I ask how did you get the visa record for your child? Did you apply the visa record for your child included in your study permit application or you applied vistor visa for your child and then extended it to a visitor visa? If you extended it, did you do it while you were entering canada at the airport or issued the application online after you have entered canada.

Thank you very much.
Hi, first before any new application , you need to answer the questioneer, then you will get a reference code to apply.
this way the required documents will be generated automatically.
Once my application was approved, their applications were approved too.

The extension was inside canada , from an online application, not a port of entry in my case

After receiving the new study permit and the new visitor records, you can apply for your TRV from inside canada.
Your kids' TRV should be applied in paper at the visa application center of their country of citizenship.

maba

Star Member
May 21, 2014
What is your current situation exactly.
I am Worker in Canada. My work permit is LMIA based and my children have visitor records. My work permit and their visitor records are expiring in April 2021. We are in Canada. Our visitor visas have been expired and we wanted to get new visitor visas so we may return to Canada after a short visit out of Canada. When we used online tool to find out the document checklist it gives us form IMM5257 for myself and IMM5708 for my children. They issued my visa but children's applications were cancelled.

maba

Star Member
May 21, 2014
Hi,
For my kids application to remain in canada as visitors (not TRV), i submitted: 5257b_1 and 5708 and their passports
Did you send 5257b_1 for your children as well?
Was this suggested by that online tool to submit 5257b_1 for your children?

rashi fal

Apr 6, 2020
I am Worker in Canada. My work permit is LMIA based and my children have visitor records. My work permit and their visitor records are expiring in April 2021. We are in Canada. Our visitor visas have been expired and we wanted to get new visitor visas so we may return to Canada after a short visit out of Canada. When we used online tool to find out the document checklist it gives us form IMM5257 for myself and IMM5708 for my children. They issued my visa but children's applications were cancelled.
I think 5708 is the one" Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a visitor " . it is to extend their visitor records not to get a new TRV. I think you submitted the wrong application. This is why it was cancelled not rejected. When you answer the questioner to get the application reference code, answer the question of their residency the same as their citizenship regardless where they live. This will get you the correct application package for them

maba

Star Member
May 21, 2014
I think 5708 is the one" Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a visitor " . it is to extend their visitor records not to get a new TRV. I think you submitted the wrong application. This is why it was cancelled not rejected. When you answer the questioner to get the application reference code, answer the question of their residency the same as their citizenship regardless where they live. This will get you the correct application package for them
Thanks

Viji1987

Oct 12, 2020
Hello Maba,

May i know what happened in your case ?

I am also facing the same situation and not getting enough clarification from anywhere. i applied for imm5708 for my kids TRV stamping and when i contacted CIC they told the form is incorrect and i withdrew it. Now, If we did not answer the questionnaire as Worker / Student, we are not getting the imm5257 and my kids are not worker/student either. Not sure what to do!!

Bobo1er

Jun 22, 2017
Hi guys
I applied for TRV extension and used IMM5708By mistake. I am in the same situation but They actually approved mine today although I have a valid work permit till 2024! They told me they have extended my stay (visitor record) from 09/27/2021 to 09/30/2022. Which doesn’t make sense as I am already a worker!