+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Wife

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
I work in Canada and I will get married in July with my fianceé who lives in other country in south america. She was refused a refugee visa two times in her previous marriage. I also invited her as a visitor two years ago but it seemed the office who gather the documents did not include the invitation letter I sent to her.

I want to know expert guys, how much probability you see for her to get the visitor visa if I invite again her after we get married , anyway I will begin the process to sponsor her but since this process lasts 12 months, I wanted to have her for a month with me as a honey moon in Canada. I would prepare a letter saying I will pay all the expenses including medical insurance and I wanted her to be with me before I begin the sponsorship process.

Thanks for your frank opinions guys!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I work in Canada and I will get married in July with my fianceé who lives in other country in south america. She was refused a refugee visa two times in her previous marriage. I also invited her as a visitor two years ago but it seemed the office who gather the documents did not include the invitation letter I sent to her.

I want to know expert guys, how much probability you see for her to get the visitor visa if I invite again her after we get married , anyway I will begin the process to sponsor her but since this process lasts 12 months, I wanted to have her for a month with me as a honey moon in Canada. I would prepare a letter saying I will pay all the expenses including medical insurance and I wanted her to be with me before I begin the sponsorship process.

Thanks for your frank opinions guys!
How did she claim for refugee in the past? There is no refugee visa per se. And, she could not have had two refusals for 'refugee visas'.

Did she claim asylum in another country?

You mentioned you work in Canada. Are you a citizen/PR or do you have a work permit?

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Hi Bryanna, thanks so much for your reply! .

I asked again my fianceé about the situation, and her ex husband requested political asylum at the Canadian embassy in the country they lived before. This request was finally denied because the circumstances changed, and it was only one time in 2011. Canada was the only country they requested asylum.

In 2014 my fianceé got legal divorce from her ex husband and in 2015 my fianceé applied for a visitor visa but it seems that the invitation letter I sent to her was not included in the application by the Office that received this application and was rejected because of her travel history, family ties in Canada and in country of residence, current employment situation, personal assets and financial status, and not sufficient funds for maintaining in Canada.

I am Permanent Resident since 2010 and I am working professionally. My idea is to present a letter of invitation saying she is my wife and we want to stay together one month in Canada before applying for sponsorship, and I would pay all the expenses, insurance, travel and accomodation.

Thanks for your frank advice !

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I'd say it's unlikely to get a TRV in this situation. The officer will feel that your wife is very likely to not go back to her home country - why would she?

You'd have to convince the officer that she has very good reasons to return. Does she have very strong reasons to return to her home country after staying in Canada with her husband for a month?

Might be better to just do the sponsorship and avoid the hassle of another denial.

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Thanks for the reply Goose, there are two strong reasons, my fianceé is taking care of her 13-year-old daughter who study at school and taking care of my brother who is mentally handicapped in my native country (she is permanent resident there), she would ask her mother to take care of them for one month if she come to Canada as a honey moon with me. Do you see this can change the situation or still is difficult?

Thanks for your comments!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Bryanna, thanks so much for your reply! .

I asked again my fianceé about the situation, and her ex husband requested political asylum at the Canadian embassy in the country they lived before. This request was finally denied because the circumstances changed, and it was only one time in 2011. Canada was the only country they requested asylum.

In 2014 my fianceé got legal divorce from her ex husband and in 2015 my fianceé applied for a visitor visa but it seems that the invitation letter I sent to her was not included in the application by the Office that received this application and was rejected because of her travel history, family ties in Canada and in country of residence, current employment situation, personal assets and financial status, and not sufficient funds for maintaining in Canada.

I am Permanent Resident since 2010 and I am working professionally. My idea is to present a letter of invitation saying she is my wife and we want to stay together one month in Canada before applying for sponsorship, and I would pay all the expenses, insurance, travel and accomodation.

Thanks for your frank advice !
1. It is highly unlikely that she was refused for a TRV, in 2015, because your invitation letter was not included. Her refusal was due to the previous asylum attempts.

2. Have you applied for citizenship yet?

3. IMO, chances of a TRV approval are slim. She has had a long refusal history with IRCC so far (asylum being the big red flag) + she has temporary residence status in the country where she resides (your home country).

4. A word of caution: You would also want to work very hard for her spousal PR application to prove that she is in a genuine relationship with you and not because she wants to immigrate

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You should apply for citizenship to begin with. You are apparently eligible.

Secondly, her ties to her country of residence are her daughter (this is ok) and the fact that she takes care of your brother? While I don't mean to pry into your personal family arrangements, how is taking care of your brother a strong family tie? Or did you mean she's taking care of her brother?

Either way, this is not looking like a strong case for a TRV based on all the facts you've provided.

You should apply for citizenship, get married, and then wait and sponsor her as your spouse. As bryanna said, you are looking at an uphill battle to for your Spousal sponsorship, so be prepared to wait for a while.

Becoming a citizen is important because you can then visit her (or live with her) in your home country and still continue the sponsorship. As a PR, you have to be residing in Canada for the sponsorship, and that will take anywhere from 6-12 months, possibly more.

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Thanks guys for your advice, I really appreciate your opinions in my case, I think you are right, and I will apply for the citizenship . Do you think I can apply for citizenship and at the same time begin the sponsorship to my wife after we get married? or I should wait to get the citizenship, which would make my sponsorship process even longer? Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks guys for your advice, I really appreciate your opinions in my case, I think you are right, and I will apply for the citizenship . Do you think I can apply for citizenship and at the same time begin the sponsorship to my wife after we get married? or I should wait to get the citizenship, which would make my sponsorship process even longer? Thanks!
No problem doing both at one time.

S.sondus

Apr 15, 2022
Hello everyone , am sorry for writing herer as am new to this forum , am note sure how to write a new thread , I need help please , basically I applied for a vistor visa as my husband is Canadian , and I got a refusal stating these reasons :

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.

• Your husband should submit a sponsorship application for you.

So now we are planning to apply for the sponsorship first then re-apply for the visitor visa again but as for the first 2 reasons , am just wondering how respond to them knowing that Im working a part time job and am the only one living with my parents.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.