+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for siblings

SiminB

Star Member
Feb 22, 2021
Hi everyone,
My sister applied for a visitor visa, but she got rejected! The reasons are not fair, I got the officer's notes too. They mentioned she does not have strong ties to her country and may not return, and also she has a strong tie to Canada because of me!! She had a job letter, indicating that she has to go back, she has a property in her country, she is fully vaccinated, I also indicated I will pay for her costs, but she is single. I do not know what to do now!
This was the second time that she got a rejection, last time, I was a student, so I thought that caused the rejection, now I am a PR, have a good job with a good salary! So I was hopeful that this time she will def get it. Any suggestion? She even emailed for reconsideration, but they replied there is no strong reason to reopen the case.

Should I contact my MP? I am so frustrated. It is not fair at all! Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,
My sister applied for a visitor visa, but she got rejected! The reasons are not fair, I got the officer's notes too. They mentioned she does not have strong ties to her country and may not return, and also she has a strong tie to Canada because of me!! She had a job letter, indicating that she has to go back, she has a property in her country, she is fully vaccinated, I also indicated I will pay for her costs, but she is single. I do not know what to do now!
This was the second time that she got a rejection, last time, I was a student, so I thought that caused the rejection, now I am a PR, have a good job with a good salary! So I was hopeful that this time she will def get it. Any suggestion? She even emailed for reconsideration, but they replied there is no strong reason to reopen the case.

Should I contact my MP? I am so frustrated. It is not fair at all! Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Did she show her own funds? How long was her visit? Does she have any travel history to show that she will return to her home country? These are all things that also go into an application too. If she is single and you are in Canada, then her ties are not as strong. If your invitation letter stated that you would cover all costs then that weakens ties too.

SiminB

Star Member
Feb 22, 2021
Did she show her own funds? How long was her visit? Does she have any travel history to show that she will return to her home country? These are all things that also go into an application too. If she is single and you are in Canada, then her ties are not as strong. If your invitation letter stated that you would cover all costs then that weakens ties too.
Thanks! she included her bank statements, but I thought it would be ok to say I will pay the costs! Unfortunately, she has not traveled in the past few years! So, if she applies again, she may not get a visa! But this is not fair at all! :( Not sure what she can do now. I'd love her to come and visit the country I live in. :(( Can contacting my MP help? Or maybe I should work with an immigration lawyer and make her application stronger!
Please let me know if you have a good experience with a lawyer. Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks! she included her bank statements, but I thought it would be ok to say I will pay the costs! Unfortunately, she has not traveled in the past few years! So, if she applies again, she may not get a visa! But this is not fair at all! :( Not sure what she can do now. I'd love her to come and visit the country I live in. :(( Can contacting my MP help? Or maybe I should work with an immigration lawyer and make her application stronger!
How much money did she show and how long was the intended visit? Showing that you are paying all costs is a flag that she can’t afford a visit.

You can hire a lawyer or contact MP. A lawyer can only make it stronger based on her profile. An MP can ask about status but can’t tell IRCC to grant a permit. Visitor visas are a privledge not a right so not everyone is approved. Don’t apply right away and order GCMS notes to get full reasons for approval. She has two refusals so she should only apply when she is confident that her profile is stronger.

Reactions: SiminB

Sledge

Star Member
Dec 30, 2020
Edmonton
Category........
VISIT
In your invitation letter, if you say you will cover her expenses, you will also want to include your pay stubs and bank statements from the past several months. Naturgrl is correct, you should request the GCMS notes to know exactly why they refused the application. On the next application, address all the concerns they had with the previous refused application. In my case, my now wife was refused the first time. The notes were helpful and we were able to address their concerns, particularly her lack of any travel history, in a cover letter that she included as an extra document.

Reactions: SiminB and Naturgrl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Does your mother also have a TRV? Is she in Canada or has she been spending a lot of time in Canada? Do you have other siblings or a father in your home country? How long has she worked at her job? Would it be considered well paying?

SiminB

Star Member
Feb 22, 2021
Does your mother also have a TRV? Is she in Canada or has she been spending a lot of time in Canada? Do you have other siblings or a father in your home country? How long has she worked at her job? Would it be considered well paying?
Thanks for the help. I did put all my bank statements, pay stubs, T4s,...
I have already applied for getting the officer's notes. My mom also has a valid visa currently. She traveled two times and spend almost two months each time. we have other siblings (married and have kids) all living in our country of origin. My father passed away and my mom lives with my sister.
She is not well paid in CAD because the exchange rate is actually too high right now. And she has been working for almost 6 years, she included her boss letter indicating they are fine with her leaving for 25 days.
I think I should wait for now, and try again later :(

SiminB

Star Member
Feb 22, 2021
I got the officer's notes. I was wondering if anyone can suggest what can help to satisfy these issues in her next application. I am copying the comments here:

" I have considered the positive factors outlined by the applicant, including statements or other evidence:
the applicant appears to have some economic ties.
however, I have given less weight to the positive factors for the following reasons:
I am not satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada at the end of their stay as a temporary resident, I note that:
-the client has strong family ties in Canada
- the client is married or has dependent or stated to have close family in their home country but is not sufficiently established

the purpose of visit does not appear reasonable given the applicant's socio-economic situation and therefore, I am not satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada at the end of the period authorized stay.
the applicant's travel history is not sufficient to count as a positive factor in my assessment.
weighing the factors in this application, I am not satisfied that the applicant will adhere to the terms and conditions imposed as a temporary resident
for the reasons above, I have refused this application"

She had almost 9000 CAD in her account. I wonder if that was not enough (the comment on socio-economic status can be related to this?). Also, all our family lives in the home county, so not sure why the officer said the tie is not sufficiently established.

Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated! Also, please message me if you know a good lawyer in Ontario. Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I got the officer's notes. I was wondering if anyone can suggest what can help to satisfy these issues in her next application. I am copying the comments here:

" I have considered the positive factors outlined by the applicant, including statements or other evidence:
the applicant appears to have some economic ties.
however, I have given less weight to the positive factors for the following reasons:
I am not satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada at the end of their stay as a temporary resident, I note that:
-the client has strong family ties in Canada
- the client is married or has dependent or stated to have close family in their home country but is not sufficiently established

the purpose of visit does not appear reasonable given the applicant's socio-economic situation and therefore, I am not satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada at the end of the period authorized stay.
the applicant's travel history is not sufficient to count as a positive factor in my assessment.
weighing the factors in this application, I am not satisfied that the applicant will adhere to the terms and conditions imposed as a temporary resident
for the reasons above, I have refused this application"

She had almost 9000 CAD in her account. I wonder if that was not enough (the comment on socio-economic status can be related to this?). Also, all our family lives in the home county, so not sure why the officer said the tie is not sufficiently established.

Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated! Also, please message me if you know a good lawyer in Ontario. Thanks!
So she is married and leaving her children behind, correct?

- 25 day visit with $9000 is not a lot once you pay airfare if this is all her savings for her family. She would be spending all her savings to come to Canada. What about her spouse and children?
- Officers want to see travel history to UK, US, NZ or Australia.
- Is she established? Long term, stable job? Again being given 25 days off from her boss is a long time.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
You will pay for her costs,,, bad point,,,

• Sad

ldrbjp

Oct 11, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dont think 9000 CAD is enough. Better to bank at least 20k CAD (which is what I did for my brother's application, which got approved 2 weeks ago) and indicate that she would pay for her expenses while on visit to Canada.

SiminB

Star Member
Feb 22, 2021
So she is married and leaving her children behind, correct?

- 25 day visit with $9000 is not a lot once you pay airfare if this is all her savings for her family. She would be spending all her savings to come to Canada. What about her spouse and children?
- Officers want to see travel history to UK, US, NZ or Australia.
- Is she established? Long term, stable job? Again being given 25 days off from her boss is a long time.
No, she is single actually, no children. My mother lives with her. She is working and has been there for almost 6 years. She has no history of traveling to those countries :( I thought it would be OK to mention I will pay the costs, that probably raised a concern then.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No, she is single actually, no children. My mother lives with her. She is working and has been there for almost 6 years. She has no history of traveling to those countries :( I thought it would be OK to mention I will pay the costs, that probably raised a concern then.
If she is single and your mother is travelling to Canada and staying with you up to 2 months, then her ties to her home country are not strong. She is over 22 (I assume), lives with your mother so again she is not tied to her home country. You say all your family lives in your home country but immediate family are her parents. Anyone else is extended family. You paying all the costs was a big, red flag. She needs to show her own funds, travel history and ties to home country (stable job, properties). Your family is not a reason to return home if she is single.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given that your mother has a TRV and your sister doesn’t have a job that would pay as well as many Canadian jobs and many of your family have moved to other countries the concern will be that both your mother and sister will come to Canada and try to remain in Canada with you. Your sister may try to find employment while your mother applies to extend her stay in Canada. Do they own property in their own country? Have other commitments that require them to be in their home country?

Reactions: SiminB and Naturgrl

Gurjant12

Jun 5, 2021
Dont think 9000 CAD is enough. Better to bank at least 20k CAD (which is what I did for my brother's application, which got approved 2 weeks ago) and indicate that she would pay for her expenses while on visit to Canada.
Hey bro. Can you give details about your brothers visa application. How old was he. Job. Married? Kids?what did you write in invitation