+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa for sibling to provide care to a canadian citizen after surgery

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
I am trying to figure out what is the right way to apply for a visa for a sibling to come to Canada to help me during and after a major surgery.
I might possibly hire somebody local to help, but it would be great to have a family member to advocate for me while I am unconscious, and make whatever decisions are needed for me if something goes wrong.

My sibling is on a working visa in the UK, and they also need a visa to come to Canada.

The hospital is promising a surgery around January-February, but that is all in the air for now.
I haven't found the processing time for the London visa office, but judging by posts here, they are quite long, so February may not be realistic with regular processing.

Any idea what is the best way to go about this? Is there some form of urgent visa processing for this situation? The London visa office's website only lists urgent biometrics appointments if there is an evidence of a critical illness.
My illness is probably not considered critical, but I feel that delaying the surgery will cause some amount of damage to my health, and will make the same surgery in the future more dangerous, so I'd rather not put this off for years.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am trying to figure out what is the right way to apply for a visa for a sibling to come to Canada to help me during and after a major surgery.
I might possibly hire somebody local to help, but it would be great to have a family member to advocate for me while I am unconscious, and make whatever decisions are needed for me if something goes wrong.

My sibling is on a working visa in the UK, and they also need a visa to come to Canada.

The hospital is promising a surgery around January-February, but that is all in the air for now.
I haven't found the processing time for the London visa office, but judging by posts here, they are quite long, so February may not be realistic with regular processing.

Any idea what is the best way to go about this? Is there some form of urgent visa processing for this situation? The London visa office's website only lists urgent biometrics appointments if there is an evidence of a critical illness.
My illness is probably not considered critical, but I feel that delaying the surgery will cause some amount of damage to my health, and will make the same surgery in the future more dangerous, so I'd rather not put this off for years.
No urgent processing. Your sibling applies like any other person. The issue is that if you write a letter of invitation and include doctor notes then visit can not be seen as working (caring for you). It must be that they are coming to support you.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
No urgent processing. Your sibling applies like any other person. The issue is that if you write a letter of invitation and include doctor notes then visit can not be seen as working (caring for you). It must be that they are coming to support you.
That's an interesting bit, but a bit confusing. What differentiates working from supporting?

Do you have some personal anecdotes about others in similar situations?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
That's an interesting bit, but a bit confusing. What differentiates working from supporting?

Do you have some personal anecdotes about others in similar situations?
If you say they are coming to look after you (washing, cleaning, personal care) then that is considered work. You say you can hire someone to look after you so then you are paying that person. You can say in your letter that you are paying a PSW and sibling is coming to be with you in your convalescence.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
If you say they are coming to look after you (washing, cleaning, personal care) then that is considered work. You say you can hire someone to look after you so then you are paying that person. You can say in your letter that you are paying a PSW and sibling is coming to be with you in your convalescence.
Thanks!
I just called the hospital to ask if they can write a letter, but they seemed rather confused, and suggested calling IRCC to find out if there is a form the doctor could fill out.
Is there some preferred format for these types of notes? They said that they usually write notes for people to take time off work as the primary care giver, but sounds like this is exactly what we don't want?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks!
I just called the hospital to ask if they can write a letter, but they seemed rather confused, and suggested calling IRCC to find out if there is a form the doctor could fill out.
Is there some preferred format for these types of notes? They said that they usually write notes for people to take time off work as the primary care giver, but sounds like this is exactly what we don't want?
There is special application to travel due to an urgent medical need but that wouldn’t fit your scenario. Given that your sister is having surgery that hasn’t been scheduled yet and is months from now then you wouldn’t qualify for that application. Would suggest that your sister ask her doctor to provide a letter at her next visit that includes the date of the surgery or at least the time frame of when she is expected to have the surgery, the name of the surgery and hospital where she will having the surgery, her diagnosis, her expected length of stay in hospital if there is one, what her limitations will be after surgery and for how long they are expected to last (for example she may not be able to lift her arms, lift anything above a certain weight, may not be able to put weight on a leg, etc), whether she will need follow-up appointments and when (for example for drains, for suture removal, dressing changes, physiotherapy, etc.), describe whether she will be dependent on mobility aids from a wheelchair to crutches and for how long, when will she be able to drive again if she drives or get around on her own, expected recovery time to be able to care for herself again and return to living independently (for example preparing basic food, getting dressed/showering on her own, etc) and anything else you think would be relevant. Would get the doctor to specify that it important to have emotional support while going through surgery and having a support system helps patient recover. You often need to be released to someone to leave the hospital or just to be able to physically get home so would include that information depending into discharge requirements. Your sister may need to pay for the letter. I would suggest giving the doctor/nurse/secretary bullet points of the information that you’d like included. Are you a PR or citizen? Would specify if you have other family in Canada or a partner and why you need your sister to come in addtion to the other people. For example if other family lives in another city and has children or a job and it isn’t possible to take time off, leave their family for an extended period of time, etc. for them. Your sister will need to provide proof that she has the funds to provide for herself financially during the stay in Canada. Is she currently working in the UK? When did she first arrive in the UK, when did her WP start and when does it expire? What is her country of citizenship? Does she have any ties to the UK like dependent children, spouse or common law partner (even longterm partner would help)? Any property or even proof of a home rental contract? is she able to take a leave of absence or use her holiday time to come and to Canada to be with you and have a job to return to in the UK? Is she on a special type of WP or did she get a WP because of a job offer? Has she ever attempted to come to Canada before?