+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Self - Employed Person

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Hello All,
A friend of mine (He is on PGWP and TRV) wants to invite his dad to visit him in Canada. I have two questions regarding this.

1. Does this count as "Re-Unite" with a family member in Canada ?

2. His dad is self employed. He is a partner in a business in India. What documents can he show to prove his employment ?

I did not find any helpful documents for self employed persons here :
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/supporting-documents.html

Can someone help ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello All,
A friend of mine (He is on PGWP and TRV) wants to invite his dad to visit him in Canada. I have two questions regarding this.

1. Does this count as "Re-Unite" with a family member in Canada ?

2. His dad is self employed. He is a partner in a business in India. What documents can he show to prove his employment ?

I did not find any helpful documents for self employed persons here :
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/supporting-documents.html

Can someone help ?
1. He is coming to visit his son.
2. He shows funds, travel history and ties to home country. He wants to show business registration, contracts, receipts for work completed taxes paid etc.

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
2. He shows funds, travel history and ties to home country. He wants to show business registration, contracts, receipts for work completed taxes paid etc.
Thanks for your reply.

My question was does coming to visit a Temporary resident count as Re-Uniting. Earlier during Covid-19 there was a provision for "Immediate Family Members" of Temporary residents to claim this eligibility. Now I see here that the family member should be a Citizen or PR. Was this eligibility revoked post Covid ? Seems counter intuitive to me. I feel i am missing something here

He has a business registration. But this is a small business. I am not sure if they have formal contracts, receipts or taxes paid (which are not common for household businesses in India which are run mostly on Cash). Would the business registration itself suffice for this purpose ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your reply.

My question was does coming to visit a Temporary resident count as Re-Uniting. Earlier during Covid-19 there was a provision for "Immediate Family Members" of Temporary residents to claim this eligibility. Now I see here that the family member should be a Citizen or PR. Was this eligibility revoked post Covid ? Seems counter intuitive to me. I feel i am missing something here

He has a business registration. But this is a small business. I am not sure if they have formal contracts, receipts or taxes paid (which are not common for household businesses in India which are run mostly on Cash). Would the business registration itself suffice for this purpose ?
COVID policies are no longer in place. He can visit you as you are in Canada. He needs to show that he will return so business registration may or may not be enough as it depends on his overall profile.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eligibility.html

Reactions: YVR123 and aphermix

Terang1987

Star Member
May 12, 2018
Hi good evening,

I keep reading the thread but I couldn’t find answer. I just want to ask question for a friend. She want to sponsor her mother as a visitor but she’s not permanent resident yet nor her husband. Both of them have closed work permit. They have son whose born here and they didn’t visit home country since the baby was born.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi good evening,

I keep reading the thread but I couldn’t find answer. I just want to ask question for a friend. She want to sponsor her mother as a visitor but she’s not permanent resident yet nor her husband. Both of them have closed work permit. They have son whose born here and they didn’t visit home country since the baby was born.
There is no such thing as sponsorship. They can write a letter of invitation. Doesn’t matter if they are not PR.

Terang1987

Star Member
May 12, 2018
There is no such thing as sponsorship. They can write a letter of invitation. Doesn’t matter if they are not PR.
can both of them include in the letter that they will provide everything for the mother? They will show proof of funds, paystub, NOA, etc., cause the mother don’t have job or any source of funds. She is turning 60 yrs old.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
can both of them include in the letter that they will provide everything for the mother? They will show proof of funds, paystub, NOA, etc., cause the mother don’t have job or any source of funds. She is turning 60 yrs old.
If they do that it will raise red flags that the mother cannot support herself at all. Their funds do not have to be considered but can be included (bank accounts). The mother has to show her bank accounts and at least something of her own.

Terang1987

Star Member
May 12, 2018
If they do that it will raise red flags that the mother cannot support herself at all. Their funds do not have to be considered but can be included (bank accounts). The mother has to show her bank accounts and at least something of her own.
I think that’s what other people here been doing when I read the thread. The family who are here is the one providing the proof of income to support the mother. Then they put on the invitation letter that they will provide accommodation, travel expenses, and other needs. Is it different if the family here is not PR?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I think that’s what other people here been doing when I read the thread. The family who are here is the one providing the proof of income to support the mother. Then they put on the invitation letter that they will provide accommodation, travel expenses, and other needs. Is it different if the family here is not PR?
If they were PR, they would apply for a supervisa so their funds are required (need to meet LICO). So yes, them being on a work permit is different. If refused for lack of funds, then the reason is because she is not showing her own bank accounts.

Terang1987

Star Member
May 12, 2018
Ok thank you so much.