+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for parent rejected

Aruleesee

Star Member
Apr 14, 2019
I am in the process of getting my Canada PR approved.

Meanwhile, I applied for my Mother's visitor visa stating that her purpose is to visit me when I will be a PR.
It was rejected for reason that they were not satisfied she will return back to her home country.

My mother already has a US visa and has traveled there multiple times. Never overstayed her visit.
She is retired but has assets back home that need her attention. Which made us wonder why the visa was rejected.

What changes should be made in her application that will help change this result?

Thanks!

Anura@06

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017

Meanwhile, I applied for my Mother's visitor visa stating that her purpose is to visit me when I will be a PR.
It was rejected for reason that they were not satisfied she will return back to her home country.

My mother already has a US visa and has traveled there multiple times. Never overstayed her visit.
She is retired but has assets back home that need her attention. Which made us wonder why the visa was rejected.

What changes should be made in her application that will help change this result?

Thanks!
Sorry about your situation. IRCC is making unfair decisions while evaluating profiles for visit visa. I have seen people getting visas without funds or strong ties with their home country granted for 6 months visit visa and their processing time is also less than a month. In my case, my parents got visa for 6 months with CAD 4000 liquid funds plus assets and both their children live outside of the home country, so no strong ties. However, they travelled to US once and they still hold a visit visa. We were not eager to call our parents to visit us, but still got their visas within a month and no questions asked. I feel bad for the people who really need to travel. I think, it all depends on the officer, if he wants he/she can grant a visa otherwise they have thousand reasons to reject it. I would recommend you to get the GCMS notes and evaluate the reasons why they rejected it and next time when you apply make sure you cover those and not give them an excuse to reject it again. Apply their visit visa after a month or two, otherwise they will have another reason to reject and the reason being desperately wanted to travel.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks!
IRCC is concerned that your mother is going to try to use the TRV to move to Canada long term along with you.

Wait until you have moved to Canada and have lived in Canada for 6-8 months minimum, then have your mother reapply.

I would not submit another application now.

Aruleesee

Star Member
Apr 14, 2019
IRCC is concerned that your mother is going to try to use the TRV to move to Canada long term along with you.

Wait until you have moved to Canada and have lived in Canada for 6-8 months minimum, then have your mother reapply.

I would not submit another application now.
Thanks for helping me out here too!
Alright, I'll keep this in mind.

Aruleesee

Star Member
Apr 14, 2019
Sorry about your situation. IRCC is making unfair decisions while evaluating profiles for visit visa. I have seen people getting visas without funds or strong ties with their home country granted for 6 months visit visa and their processing time is also less than a month. In my case, my parents got visa for 6 months with CAD 4000 liquid funds plus assets and both their children live outside of the home country, so no strong ties. However, they travelled to US once and they still hold a visit visa. We were not eager to call our parents to visit us, but still got their visas within a month and no questions asked. I feel bad for the people who really need to travel. I think, it all depends on the officer, if he wants he/she can grant a visa otherwise they have thousand reasons to reject it. I would recommend you to get the GCMS notes and evaluate the reasons why they rejected it and next time when you apply make sure you cover those and not give them an excuse to reject it again. Apply their visit visa after a month or two, otherwise they will have another reason to reject and the reason being desperately wanted to travel.
Thank you so much for responding!
Yes, it is true that you never know what they actually want. GCMS is a good idea and I'll certainly try it find out what the reasons were. Hopefully, second time's a charm. It;s great that your parents got the visa! Thanks for empathizing!:)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you look at previous posts the OP hasn’t moved to Canada yet so the refusal is due to concerns that the mother will move to Canada with their child. Valid concern for IRCC to reject a TRV.

Aruleesee

Star Member
Apr 14, 2019
If you look at previous posts the OP hasn’t moved to Canada yet so the refusal is due to concerns that the mother will move to Canada with their child. Valid concern for IRCC to reject a TRV.
How is it different from applying when I am in Canada? That concern will always remain for them for every parent, isn't it?

Anura@06

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
I read what OP has posted, but a few of friends were able to get visitor visas for their parents and spouses even before they moved into Canada. As I mentioned before, IRCC's decision is totally dependent on case to case basis. Unless we know what is in the GCMS notes, we cannot say anything for sure. I have seen people giving generic advices about the visitor visa process, but in reality everything is depends on IRCC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How is it different from applying when I am in Canada? That concern will always remain for them for every parent, isn't it?
It is in fact quite different.

If you apply now, then there is an increased chance IRCC may be concerned your mother does not want to live independently and that you want to take her with you when you move to Canada and then find a way to have her stay long term with you. Applying now can give the appearance that you are not willing to leave your mother behind / not willing to be separated from her.

If you wait until you have lived in Canada for 6-8 months before she applies again, that usually lowers this concern because you have lived separately for 6-8 months and it demonstrates your mother is able and willing to live independently and separated from you.

Best option is to move to Canada and then for you to live there for 6-8 months before your mother reapplies for the TRV.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I read what OP has posted, but a few of friends were able to get visitor visas for their parents and spouses even before they moved into Canada. As I mentioned before, IRCC's decision is totally dependent on case to case basis. Unless we know what is in the GCMS notes, we cannot say anything for sure. I have seen people giving generic advices about the visitor visa process, but in reality everything is depends on IRCC.
Every case is different. If parents have an extensive travel history, strong ties to their home country and good savings approval for tourism purposes will be easier. Having both parents alive also is a benefit because if one parent is widowed there is often more concern that the parent will want to stay in Canada.

Aruleesee

Star Member
Apr 14, 2019
It is in fact quite different.

If you apply now, then there is an increased chance IRCC may be concerned your mother does not want to live independently and that you want to take her with you when you move to Canada and then find a way to have her stay long term with you. Applying now can give the appearance that you are not willing to leave your mother behind / not willing to be separated from her.

If you wait until you have lived in Canada for 6-8 months before she applies again, that usually lowers this concern because you have lived separately for 6-8 months and it demonstrates your mother is able and willing to live independently and separated from you.

Best option is to move to Canada and then for you to live there for 6-8 months before your mother reapplies for the TRV.
I see, thanks for explaining!