+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for my retired DAD and home maker MOM

kamatmahesh

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Toronto
Hello Friends

Can someone please help me out with the following questions as I am trying to apply for a visitor visa for my mum and dad; visiting me for 3 months this summer.

a. Dad retired around 2 years back , had a business of his own, does he need to provide registration documents of it even though he is retired now ?. The IMM5257 form asks him to enter his details of occupation even though he is retired now. I just want to make sure that the information is accurate and not misrepresented.

b. Marriage Certificate - My dad and mom got married sometime in the 80's in India and do not have a marriage registration proof, however their Passports mention each other as spouse on their individual passports. Can that be used in lieu of Marriage Certificate ?

Please advise.

From a funds perspective, he is planning to show property documents, deposit receipts which will prove his strong ties to India.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Mahesh,

Is your dad's business officially/legally dissolved?
If yes, he must state he is retired.... not necessary to provide business registration documents.

Or does he still earn an income from it (directly or indirectly)?
If yes, he must provide evidence such as business registration documents, income he earns from it, tax returns filed, etc

If the business is dormant/inactive (not dissolved), he can submit business registration documents but state that this business is not actively trading.

2. Yes, their passports will suffice to prove their marriage. You may also want to submit your birth certificate/school leaving certificate which state their names as your parents

Cheers

kamatmahesh

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Toronto
Bryanna said:
Hi Mahesh,

Is your dad's business officially/legally dissolved?
If yes, he must state he is retired.... not necessary to provide business registration documents.
[blue] Yes, the business has been dissolved and he does not make any money from the business. When answering the questionaaire I answered NO for both job and business, guess I don't need to provide any documents[/blue]

Or does he still earn an income from it (directly or indirectly)?
If yes, he must provide evidence such as business registration documents, income he earns from it, tax returns filed, etc
[blue] He has quite a bit of savings and deposits and invested in stocks that should prove his means of financial support; is there any other way to prove strong home ties to the country ?[/blue]

If the business is dormant/inactive (not dissolved), he can submit business registration documents but state that this business is not actively trading.

2. Yes, their passports will suffice to prove their marriage. You may also want to submit your birth certificate/school leaving certificate which state their names as your parents
[blue]Ok , this should work then[/blue]

Cheers
Much appreciated Bryanna

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Mahesh,

For financials:
Your dad must submit bank interest certificates for his FDs + letter from the bank(s) stating that the FDs are not mortgaged/no loans taken against them and can be liquidated, if required

If he has transferred large amounts - even between his own bank accounts - then don't forget to provide an explanation + highlight these transactions in the bank statements.

He can submit dividend stubs + copies of share certificates + explanation to give the total value of all shares owned i.e. current market value (do mention the reference site/date ie NSE or BSE)

Other strong ties:
Property ownership, land ownership, commercial or residential properties, rental accommodation.... based on which I can suggest which documents to submit

Family ties: Any dependent or immediate family (your siblings or grandparents)?

Does he get a pension? Or any other retirement benefits?

Previous travel history

Any volunteer work/charity work?

Any must-return by date with evidence.... for example, wedding in the family?

Cheers

kamatmahesh

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Toronto
Bryanna said:
Hi Mahesh,

For financials:
Your dad must submit bank interest certificates for his FDs + letter from the bank(s) stating that the FDs are not mortgaged/no loans taken against them and can be liquidated, if required

[blue]This is doable ;-) [/blue]

If he has transferred large amounts - even between his own bank accounts - then don't forget to provide an explanation + highlight these transactions in the bank statements.
[blue] not in my knowledge, probably this will not be required[/blue]

He can submit dividend stubs + copies of share certificates + explanation to give the total value of all shares owned i.e. current market value (do mention the reference site/date ie NSE or BSE)
[blue]Copies of share certificates - YES, Total value of shares owned should be CAD or INR ?[/blue]

Other strong ties:
Property ownership, land ownership, commercial or residential properties, rental accommodation.... based on which I can suggest which documents to submit
[blue]Property ownership is manageable[/blue]

[blue]Well, immediate family - My brother lives in India and he can prove that , that should suffice ?[/blue]
Does he get a pension? Or any other retirement benefits? [blue]NO[/blue]

Previous travel history
[blue]Mum and dad have been all over in the US on B1/B2 twice to be precise in the last 10 years, do you think that helps augment their chances of getting the visa ?[/blue]

[blue]There is no wedding comin in the family, but a return ticket with a confirmed date should suffice,no ?[/blue]

Cheers
You're a life saver Bryanna, appreciate your detailed responses here :)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Mahesh,

Hi Mahesh,

For financials:

This is doable ;-)

not in my knowledge, probably this will not be required

Copies of share certificates - YES, Total value of shares owned should be CAD or INR ?
Mention all figures/amounts/funds available for their visit... throughout their TRV applications.... in both CAD and INR

Other strong ties:
Property ownership is manageable
Property ownership documents translated into English by a certified translator + give the current property value based on valuation done either by a CA or self-assessment using market realty reports (available online) + supporting evidence such as Property Times clippings/ MagicBricks/ 99acres.com.... for the area where your parents property is located.

Also copies of latest property tax receipts + share certificates (if applicable) + if there is no loan/mortgage then stress on this to show good financial situation.

Have they rented any property and earning an income from it?

Well, immediate family - My brother lives in India and he can prove that , that should suffice ?
This family tie will help only if your brother lives with your parents and he is not married

Does he get a pension? Or any other retirement benefits? NO

Previous travel history
Mum and dad have been all over in the US on B1/B2 twice to be precise in the last 10 years, do you think that helps augment their chances of getting the visa ?
They can apply under CAN+.... entry/exit stamps are necessary.

BTW even if the VFS guys tell you that it's not necessary to submit any documents for CAN+, this is not true.... please submit all documents to prove their strong ties/strong financial situation in India.

Also, mention their US visa details/US visits in the covering letters

There is no wedding comin in the family, but a return ticket with a confirmed date should suffice,no ?

How long do they wish to visit?

Have they bought overseas travel medical policies (dates can be changed for a small fee)? The policy dates must match the flight ticket dates.

Cheers