+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for my girlfriend and step daughter

kbelomartins

Jul 14, 2018
Hello guys, I would love some help with this. My girl friend works as an uber drive in Brazil after she left hers full time job. Do you guys think that because Uber is a self emplyment it would be a problem? I also was wondering if I should mention that she is my girlfriend or just friend. I'm afraid that the immigration office may think she will not return. At this time she will come to visit me with her daughter to see how Canada is, experience the winter for the first time and hopefully they both like it, go back home and we work on family sponsorship. I will become common-law in Brazil and I was wondering if it would help with the process? To become common law in canada we have to live for at least one year together which it will not be able since she will move back after the vacation time and wait for the process back home.
I'm sorry for so many questions, but to sum up its:

-Being uber driver would be a negative point?
-Should I say in the invitation letter that she is my girlfriend?
-Being common law from back home would be considered on the application? We will eventually get marriage, but we would like to do that in Brazil with our families.

Thank you all and God bless you

ryvinson

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
Hello guys, I would love some help with this. My girl friend works as an uber drive in Brazil after she left hers full time job. Do you guys think that because Uber is a self emplyment it would be a problem? I also was wondering if I should mention that she is my girlfriend or just friend. I'm afraid that the immigration office may think she will not return. At this time she will come to visit me with her daughter to see how Canada is, experience the winter for the first time and hopefully they both like it, go back home and we work on family sponsorship. I will become common-law in Brazil and I was wondering if it would help with the process? To become common law in canada we have to live for at least one year together which it will not be able since she will move back after the vacation time and wait for the process back home.

-Being common law from back home would be considered on the application? We will eventually get marriage, but we would like to do that in Brazil with our families.

Her home ties are weak: casual employment, daughter to travel with her, and she’s your gf. She will be considered to have immigrant intent.

Reactions: kbelomartins

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018

1. Having no permanent kind of employment is a negative as it shows weak home ties. Also, I'm not sure about Brazil but in general driving Uber may not leave a lot of discretionary money. Who is paying for the trip? With the prices of tickets these days you would need to show significant proof of funds for two people.

2. You should state facts always on visa applications.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

You say that once she returns you will work on family sponsorship. Are you getting married while she is in Canada? How will you become common law in Brazil? Have you lived together for at least one year continuously already? Are you moving there after she visits?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

For the TRV, she wants to put together a strong application with ties to her home country. She should place focus on this and not on your relationship. Otherwise IRCC will be concerned she has plans on remaining long term. Try for the following:
- keep the trip relatively short (i.e. 2-3 weeks)
- she should show sufficient funds to pay for the trip entirely on her own (ideally more than enough savings)
- she should show property ownership if possible
- her employment ties are weak but I don't see what she can really do about this
- if she has previous travel to countries requiring visas like the US, she should show this
- note that she will need the written permission of her daughter's father for the trip unless she has sole legal custody

To sponsor her for PR, you must either be married or common law according to Canada's rules (i.e. have lived together for at least one year continuously). Being common law per Brazil's rules will not qualify you to sponsor her for PR.

kbelomartins

Jul 14, 2018
You say that once she returns you will work on family sponsorship. Are you getting married while she is in Canada? How will you become common law in Brazil? Have you lived together for at least one year continuously already? Are you moving there after she visits?
Thank you for your input. At this moments they will only come for visit. The sponsorship will be done later and by the books. When everything is ready then we will apply.

kbelomartins

Jul 14, 2018
For the TRV, she wants to put together a strong application with ties to her home country. She should place focus on this and not on your relationship. Otherwise IRCC will be concerned she has plans on remaining long term. Try for the following:
- keep the trip relatively short (i.e. 2-3 weeks)
- she should show sufficient funds to pay for the trip entirely on her own (ideally more than enough savings)
- she should show property ownership if possible
- her employment ties are weak but I don't see what she can really do about this
- if she has previous travel to countries requiring visas like the US, she should show this
- note that she will need the written permission of her daughter's father for the trip unless she has sole legal custody

To sponsor her for PR, you must either be married or common law according to Canada's rules (i.e. have lived together for at least one year continuously). Being common law per Brazil's rules will not qualify you to sponsor her for PR.
Thank you for your explanations.
Yeah we will be focusing on those things. For the flight her parents are gifting it and I believe she should have about 5k on savings for the time she will be staying here. I'm writing on the invitation letter that I will provide a place to stay and helping with the expenses.
The parents have a house and a beach house, but not under her name though. We already got permission from the father so the kid can travel and on the permission states that it's for traveling only not to intent to immigration.
We both are not planning on stay any longer than the Vaction time, her daughter needs to go back to school and when the sponsorship do happens we need the consent from the father. We never officially lived together before, but I do know about the rules that to become a sponsor it has to be marries or common laws.

Much appreciate all your answers guys.

One more thing... should I include on the letter all that? That she is coming only for visiting and we do have intentions for immigration in the future and when that happens we will do all by the books?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your explanations.
Yeah we will be focusing on those things. For the flight her parents are gifting it and I believe she should have about 5k on savings for the time she will be staying here. I'm writing on the invitation letter that I will provide a place to stay and helping with the expenses.
The parents have a house and a beach house, but not under her name though. We already got permission from the father so the kid can travel and on the permission states that it's for traveling only not to intent to immigration.
We both are not planning on stay any longer than the Vaction time, her daughter needs to go back to school and when the sponsorship do happens we need the consent from the father. We never officially lived together before, but I do know about the rules that to become a sponsor it has to be marries or common laws.

Much appreciate all your answers guys.

One more thing... should I include on the letter all that? That she is coming only for visiting and we do have intentions for immigration in the future and when that happens we will do all by the books?
- It's good that you have the letter for the daughter.
- $5K is on the low side but not much you can do. Don't buy the flight ticket until the TRV is (hopefully) approved.
- Don't include the parents' house and beach house. These aren't in her name and therefore aren't ties.
- If you can, show proof of the daughter's enrollment in school.
- You are not common law if you haven't lived together for at least one year continuously. You're just dating at this point.

kbelomartins

Jul 14, 2018
- It's good that you have the letter for the daughter.
- $5K is on the low side but not much you can do. Don't buy the flight ticket until the TRV is (hopefully) approved.
- Don't include the parents' house and beach house. These aren't in her name and therefore aren't ties.
- If you can, show proof of the daughter's enrollment in school.
- You are not common law if you haven't lived together for at least one year continuously. You're just dating at this point.

Dear friend, this will be the letter I will send to along with the application. Please feel free to give any sugestion.

To whom it may concern,

Dear Sir/ Madam, this is to certify that Girlfriend and Daughter will be visiting me in Toronto, Canada from January 13, 2023 to February 15 2023 so we could spend Valentine’s Day together. Girlfriend is my girlfriend and we would like to bring her and her daughter here to experience her first time travelling to another country, seeing snow and to spend her vacation time with me so I could show our beautiful country to her and her daughter. Her parents are gifting her the fly tickets and I will be responsible for her expenses while visiting, even though she has enough funds to cover her own expenses.

Girlfriend and Daughter will be staying at my home for the duration of their stay. We are planning to explore some skying and snowboarding around Blue Mountain, Niagara Falls, CN Tower and to visit some other places around so they can have the best experience in Canada.

I know her ties with Brazil seem to be not too strong, but there is no intention of staying pass the vacation time, Sophia needs to go back to school and the permission from her father is only for travelling. In the future if they do decide to move here with me we will do the process by the books and the proper application and documents.

Please find attached to this letter proof of my legal status in Canada. You will also find my personal information

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Dear friend, this will be the letter I will send to along with the application. Please feel free to give any sugestion.

To whom it may concern,

Dear Sir/ Madam, this is to certify that Girlfriend and Daughter will be visiting me in Toronto, Canada from January 13, 2023 to February 15 2023 so we could spend Valentine’s Day together. Girlfriend is my girlfriend and we would like to bring her and her daughter here to experience her first time travelling to another country, seeing snow and to spend her vacation time with me so I could show our beautiful country to her and her daughter. Her parents are gifting her the fly tickets and I will be responsible for her expenses while visiting, even though she has enough funds to cover her own expenses.

Girlfriend and Daughter will be staying at my home for the duration of their stay. We are planning to explore some skying and snowboarding around Blue Mountain, Niagara Falls, CN Tower and to visit some other places around so they can have the best experience in Canada.

I know her ties with Brazil seem to be not too strong, but there is no intention of staying pass the vacation time, Sophia needs to go back to school and the permission from her father is only for travelling. In the future if they do decide to move here with me we will do the process by the books and the proper application and documents.

Please find attached to this letter proof of my legal status in Canada. You will also find my personal information

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

No need to write this. Letter just needs to be to the point and state facts for this visit. You do not want to yourself say that home ties are weak.

You can use the line regarding permission for daughter in the first paragraph saying that

Daughter has permission from her biological father to visit Canada for her duration of stay in Canada and she will need to be back in Brazil for her school after <Date>

You may want to provide permission letter from the father in additional documents and may be some documents from school which show that she only has leave from school for 2-3 weeks and she needs to attend school after that.

kbelomartins

Jul 14, 2018
Note taken, thank you so much for the help. We are really concern of the approval. The kid is really excited and it would be heartbroken to say that she can not come no more. We will keep our prayers. All the best to you and your loved ones.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Note taken, thank you so much for the help. We are really concern of the approval. The kid is really excited and it would be heartbroken to say that she can not come no more. We will keep our prayers. All the best to you and your loved ones.
Realistically chances of approval are pretty low. I would be honest with your gf and her daughter than chances are low but you’ll attempt to apply. She shouldn’t be anticipating that there is a good chance of travel. If you get married and sponsor them there is a much better chance of approval.

kbelomartins

Jul 14, 2018
Realistically chances of approval are pretty low. I would be honest with your gf and her daughter than chances are low but you’ll attempt to apply. She shouldn’t be anticipating that there is a good chance of travel. If you get married and sponsor them there is a much better chance of approval.
When answering the questionnaire :
Do you have a job in the country where you currently live?

Is uber driver considered a job even though it's a self employed? Answer options are YES / NO