+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for my Filipina girlfriend

Pop Punk

Jun 16, 2019
Another option, which I’m really unsure if it would be possible, would be for me to go live there for a year. We would then become common-law spouses. I think I could then sponsor her to come to Canada, but she could still request spousal support if we broke up.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I think the best way for you to did is live together for a year and see how it goes. You keep on mentioning how you are nit sure about the support side of it. This says to me that you are definetly not ready for marriage and that you still have a sneeking doubt about her. Live together first if possible and if everything goes well marriage can be on the table. Going for a few months holiday is not the same as living together. Trust has to be a big part

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
And you have mentioned a few times that you have concerns about spousal support if the relationship goes off the rails. You are young, take your time. There is no rush. If the relationship was meant to be, then it was meant to be. However having ongoing worries about spousal support, when the relationship is still in its early days, should be a red flag to take it very slow

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Another option, which I’m really unsure if it would be possible, would be for me to go live there for a year. We would then become common-law spouses. I think I could then sponsor her to come to Canada, but she could still request spousal support if we broke up.
When you know the right people in the Philippine Bureau of Immigration or pay the right “fees”, that should be easy to stay there for a year lol.

Also, pre-nups.

Reactions: Pop Punk

Pop Punk

Jun 16, 2019
When you know the right people in the Philippine Bureau of Immigration or pay the right “fees”, that should be easy to stay there for a year lol.

Also, pre-nups.
I meant, I’m not sure if I could go there for a year because I still have to pay rent here. But I can work remotely and since my job have an office in Manila, that might be an option.

Reactions: DiiDii

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The age gap will also be a warning sign. I assume you are not Phillipino. The best thing to do is continue your longterm relationship for at least another year and visit a few more times. I would not be talking about abut marriage. If she is the one who constantly bring it up I would be concerned. I would consider proposing moving to the Philippines at least a year after the relationship and bring it up with her family. Think you the reaction of the family if you constantly talk of moving to the Philippines versus Canada will say a lot. You gf is 19 which is very young. You will also have discuss what part of your family salary will be sent home every month. unfortunately your TRV will be almost 100% refused but I think the most important part is not to rush things. 19 year olds have a lot of growing up and changing job do and we see lots of examples where Canadians sponsored spouses from abroad and as soon as they arrive in Canada it is a disaster. It is a better idea to take your time and be cautious in the relationship versus having to pay support payments for your entire life.

Pop Punk

Jun 16, 2019
The age gap will also be a warning sign. I assume you are not Phillipino. The best thing to do is continue your longterm relationship for at least another year and visit a few more times. I would not be talking about abut marriage. If she is the one who constantly bring it up I would be concerned. I would consider proposing moving to the Philippines at least a year after the relationship and bring it up with her family. Think you the reaction of the family if you constantly talk of moving to the Philippines versus Canada will say a lot. You gf is 19 which is very young. You will also have discuss what part of your family salary will be sent home every month. unfortunately your TRV will be almost 100% refused but I think the most important part is not to rush things. 19 year olds have a lot of growing up and changing job do and we see lots of examples where Canadians sponsored spouses from abroad and as soon as they arrive in Canada it is a disaster. It is a better idea to take your time and be cautious in the relationship versus having to pay support payments for your entire life.
I am a born and raised Canadian, you are correct. Like I said, it is hard for me to go there (taking time off work) and expensive. That is why I am considering marriage, because it seems like the only way we can be together relatively soon. I've always been the one bringing it up. She always says she will support my decision. I'm really not sure if I could move there for a whole year. We haven't talked about sending money to her relatives. I've sent her some money a couple of times so far (never at her request). But it is true that I am very afraid of the lifelong support payments.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a born and raised Canadian, you are correct. Like I said, it is hard for me to go there (taking time off work) and expensive. That is why I am considering marriage, because it seems like the only way we can be together relatively soon. I've always been the one bringing it up. She always says she will support my decision. I'm really not sure if I could move there for a whole year. We haven't talked about sending money to her relatives. I've sent her some money a couple of times so far (never at her request). But it is true that I am very afraid of the lifelong support payments.
You don't necessarily have to move there but it something to consider mentioning to see the reaction of the family. I don't really any 19 year old should be getting married before they figure out who they really are but you are both young and should not rush things so you can be together. You haven't even been together for 6 months. Is she going to school? Is she studying something that could eventually used in Canada? What about her family's expectations of support. Those are extremely important conversation to have before considering marriage.

bojoi7

Jun 1, 2018
Ontario
I am a Filipina who got married to a Canadian. Best way to bring your girlfriend here is by getting married in the Philippines. But, you have to prove that your relationship is genuine and that might be a problem due to her age and length of the relationship. For us, our relationship was almost 2 years before he sponsored me (that’s after 1 year of getting married in the Philippines and his parents attended the wedding). I was 26 at that time and had a good job. Plus, our age gap is 4 years (yes, age gap matters in proving genuine relationship). We only waited 5 months to get my visa. Super quick!

Last edited:

bojoi7

Jun 1, 2018
Ontario
As a Filipina, sending support to parents/relatives is one thing you should discuss before getting married. Before I got married to my Canadian husband, I never asked for money coz I was working but I was very honest with him that when I’m in Canada and working, I’ll be sending money to my parents. It was something he struggled to understand but he is okay with it now. I don’t send regularly anymore as we already have kids and I’m a stay at home mom. And you should really understand Filipino culture...don’t underestimate how much culture affects a relationship. Some people think love is enough but the relationship will take a lot a lot of work!

Last edited:
Reactions: DiiDii