+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for my Filipina girlfriend

Pop Punk

Jun 16, 2019
Hi!

So, I'm a Canadian (Quebec) guy in my 20's. I have met a 19 year old Filipina online nearly 5 months ago, and we have been chatting daily ever since.

I flew out to the Philippines for the first time in May to meet her and we spent 3 weeks together. It was amazing, and we would like to be able to spend more time together soon, so I have been exploring our options.

Travelling back to the Philippines
I can't realistically go back there before January, which I find way too far. I would be able to stay only 1 or 2 months, and couldn't come more than twice a year.

Visitor visa
Although according to my research, it is unlikely they would grant her a visitor visa since she is a student and has no assets whatsoever, I'd still like to try. We are in the process of getting her a passport first, which should be pretty easy, and then we will start her visa application. I would of course be paying for everything and she would be staying with me the whole time, and I would include that info in the invitation letter I will write for her application. My feeling is that they will think she won't leave if she gets in Canada, considering the situation stated above.

Marriage in Canada
Let's say she would get her visitor visa and would spend up to 6 months here. It's still a short time to decide if we want to get married, but then again it is one of the only few ways for us to be together long-term. I really want to marry her, but this does raise a big concern for me, as if for whatever reason it wouldn't work, and she decided to stay in Canada and requested money from me, I would have to pay her spousal support for possibly years on end.

Marriage in the Philippines
If she can't get a visitor visa, there will be no other way than for me to go back there if I want to see her again. As I can't stay for more than 2 months at most, we would have to get married there. If we do and she gets to Canada, and then at some point we get divorced, I think I might still have to pay spousal support for years. I don't like to think about divorce but I need to keep every possibility in mind.

So, the ideal scenario would be for her to get to spend 5-6 months here in Canada with me before we decide on such a big decision (marriage). I wish there was another way. If there is, please let me know. I'm looking forward to hearing everybody's advice and thoughts on this.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!

So, I'm a Canadian (Quebec) guy in my 20's. I have met a 19 year old Filipina online nearly 5 months ago, and we have been chatting daily ever since.

I flew out to the Philippines for the first time in May to meet her and we spent 3 weeks together. It was amazing, and we would like to be able to spend more time together soon, so I have been exploring our options.

Travelling back to the Philippines
I can't realistically go back there before January, which I find way too far. I would be able to stay only 1 or 2 months, and couldn't come more than twice a year.

Visitor visa
Although according to my research, it is unlikely they would grant her a visitor visa since she is a student and has no assets whatsoever, I'd still like to try. We are in the process of getting her a passport first, which should be pretty easy, and then we will start her visa application. I would of course be paying for everything and she would be staying with me the whole time, and I would include that info in the invitation letter I will write for her application. My feeling is that they will think she won't leave if she gets in Canada, considering the situation stated above.

Marriage in Canada
Let's say she would get her visitor visa and would spend up to 6 months here. It's still a short time to decide if we want to get married, but then again it is one of the only few ways for us to be together long-term. I really want to marry her, but this does raise a big concern for me, as if for whatever reason it wouldn't work, and she decided to stay in Canada and requested money from me, I would have to pay her spousal support for possibly years on end.

Marriage in the Philippines
If she can't get a visitor visa, there will be no other way than for me to go back there if I want to see her again. As I can't stay for more than 2 months at most, we would have to get married there. If we do and she gets to Canada, and then at some point we get divorced, I think I might still have to pay spousal support for years. I don't like to think about divorce but I need to keep every possibility in mind.

So, the ideal scenario would be for her to get to spend 5-6 months here in Canada with me before we decide on such a big decision (marriage). I wish there was another way. If there is, please let me know. I'm looking forward to hearing everybody's advice and thoughts on this.

Thank you!
To come here for 5-6 months, she will need a TRV. The probability of a TRV being refused is very high given her profile. However she can certainly try.

The only other alternative I can see is for her to come to Canada on a study permit as a full time student. Downside of this option is that it's very expensive. She will need to show a bank balance of at least $25,000 just to be approved.

Reactions: Pop Punk

Pop Punk

Jun 16, 2019
To come here for 5-6 months, she will need a TRV. The probability of a TRV being refused is very high given her profile. However she can certainly try.

The only other alternative I can see is for her to come to Canada on a study permit as a full time student. Downside of this option is that it's very expensive. She will need to show a bank balance of at least $25,000 just to be approved.

TRV = visitor visa, right? Coming from the Philippines, she needs one for even stepping a foot in Canada, let alone staying several months.

Student visa is unfortunately out of the question - for us at least. Would it still work if it was a family member's account, or does it absolutely have to be hers?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
TRV = visitor visa, right? Coming from the Philippines, she needs one for even stepping a foot in Canada, let alone staying several months.

Student visa is unfortunately out of the question - for us at least. Would it still work if it was a family member's account, or does it absolutely have to be hers?
It's not just the account/money - she has to apply to, and be accepted by, a Canadian school. The course she applies for has to make sense given her academic background, etc.

Essentially, if she is already looking to study abroad, she should come to Canada. She shouldn't try and do all that just to stay with you - it will be fairly clear that she isn't a bonafide student and she may not get a study permit anyway. Lots of people get denied a study permit because IRCC decides they aren't real students.

Pop Punk

Jun 16, 2019
It's not just the account/money - she has to apply to, and be accepted by, a Canadian school. The course she applies for has to make sense given her academic background, etc.

Essentially, if she is already looking to study abroad, she should come to Canada. She shouldn't try and do all that just to stay with you - it will be fairly clear that she isn't a bonafide student and she may not get a study permit anyway. Lots of people get denied a study permit because IRCC decides they aren't real students.
Yeah, student visa seems out of the question.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Your options are pretty limited. It would be easier for you to visit her/go to another country together than for her to come here.

You can try applying for a TRV, you never know. If you get denied, then you'll have to think of something else.

Pop Punk

Jun 16, 2019
As far as applying for the TRV, what should we say in the application exactly? She can't say she's simply visiting with no ulterior motive, because I'll be the one paying for everything including her plane ticket, so it'll be pretty obvious at this point.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
As far as applying for the TRV, what should we say in the application exactly? She can't say she's simply visiting with no ulterior motive, because I'll be the one paying for everything including her plane ticket, so it'll be pretty obvious at this point.
Just be honest. No point trying to make up stories, you're going to guarantee a denial.

As you said, it will be obvious that she's visiting because you're in a relationship, and since you are paying for everything, saying anything else would probably set off a ton of red flags!

Be honest in the letter of explanation/sponsorship, and you might get an officer who decides to give young love a chance. 95% you're getting denied though...

Pop Punk

Jun 16, 2019
Just be honest. No point trying to make up stories, you're going to guarantee a denial.

As you said, it will be obvious that she's visiting because you're in a relationship, and since you are paying for everything, saying anything else would probably set off a ton of red flags!

Be honest in the letter of explanation/sponsorship, and you might get an officer who decides to give young love a chance. 95% you're getting denied though...
Haha, yeah, that’s what we’ll do then. Should we say that we really don’t plan on getting married while she is staying here or would we be better off avoiding the subject altogether? We *might* get married if everything goes exceptionally well but it’s not the reason of her visit so...

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Haha, yeah, that’s what we’ll do then. Should we say that we really don’t plan on getting married while she is staying here or would we be better off avoiding the subject altogether? We *might* get married if everything goes exceptionally well but it’s not the reason of her visit so...
Avoid the subject. Just say you want to spend some time together.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
BTW, if you do decide to get married and sponsor her, you're going to have some trouble proving the genuineness of your relationship. It will appear suspicious that you met online, spent maybe 2-3 months together, and then got married.

To counter this, you should thoroughly document your relationship. Take lots of pictures, introduce her to family and friends (and take pictures with them), meet her family and friends, write long emails to each other, and so on.

Also, even if your sponsorship is approved, you will be signing an undertaking to pay the Canadian government back for any social funds she uses (welfare). This undertaking lasts for 3 years, and it will be applicable even if you separate/divorce.

Pop Punk

Jun 16, 2019
BTW, if you do decide to get married and sponsor her, you're going to have some trouble proving the genuineness of your relationship. It will appear suspicious that you met online, spent maybe 2-3 months together, and then got married.

To counter this, you should thoroughly document your relationship. Take lots of pictures, introduce her to family and friends (and take pictures with them), meet her family and friends, write long emails to each other, and so on.

Also, even if your sponsorship is approved, you will be signing an undertaking to pay the Canadian government back for any social funds she uses (welfare). This undertaking lasts for 3 years, and it will be applicable even if you separate/divorce.
So far I have *a lot* of chats, pictures of us together in the Philippines, pictures of us with her family, etc. I will of course introduce her to my family if she gets over here.

The welfare thing I am not worried about, it’s more having to pay for her for decades that worries me the most. Although I trust her, it would be quite easy for her to get married, come over here, become a citizen and then leave me and request spousal support for years, which would be a lot of money to her/her family. I don’t think for a second that this is her plan, but people can get influenced sometimes.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
So far I have *a lot* of chats, pictures of us together in the Philippines, pictures of us with her family, etc. I will of course introduce her to my family if she gets over here.

The welfare thing I am not worried about, it’s more having to pay for her for decades that worries me the most. Although I trust her, it would be quite easy for her to get married, come over here, become a citizen and then leave me and request spousal support for years, which would be a lot of money to her/her family. I don’t think for a second that this is her plan, but people can get influenced sometimes.
Looks like you understand why IRCC is reluctant to give TRVs to someone with her profile or that short of a relationship history.

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...
23-01-2021
Med's Request
18-09-2020
Med's Done....
23-09-2020
Passport Req..
13-07-2021

Question...I know this forum isn't for relationship advice. However you shouldn't be thinking of getting married unless it's something that you really want to do. You seem to be thinking of all the negatives and that portrayal alone makes the relationship your in seem rocky. I'm sure you have your reasons why you feel this way. It could just be statistics. But if you live life that way you will never be happy.

Think about everything your doing some more. Get to know her. Then if you really can't live without EACH OTHER...Get married and work on the process. Sorry I just had to add my 2 cents there. Stay Blessed

Pop Punk

Jun 16, 2019
Question...I know this forum isn't for relationship advice. However you shouldn't be thinking of getting married unless it's something that you really want to do. You seem to be thinking of all the negatives and that portrayal alone makes the relationship your in seem rocky. I'm sure you have your reasons why you feel this way. It could just be statistics. But if you live life that way you will never be happy.

Think about everything your doing some more. Get to know her. Then if you really can't live without EACH OTHER...Get married and work on the process. Sorry I just had to add my 2 cents there. Stay Blessed
I want to marry her, but of course I would prefer to wait at least a few years before doing so - but due to government policies I just can’t do that unless I accept the fact that we will only be together maybe 2 months a year at most. Also, life doesn’t last forever, and I only have a few years left before I’m 30. I’d like to enjoy what’s left of my youth with her. As I said, there isn’t really a way for us to be together for more than a few months a year (by me going to the Philippines), so « getting to know her » in the way that I would if we lived together full-time would probably take a decade. It seems unless she gets a TRV, the only way for us to be together is to get married.

Divorce talk may come off as negativity, but I’d rather hope for the best and prepare for the worst.