+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for my fiance

rogerset

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Hi All, I am a PR living in Ontario. I plan to get married soon and want to bring my wife back with me IMMEDIATELY after marriage. So I plan to have her apply for a visitors visa to Canada right away, while we are both just fiances to each other, and after we get married in India, I plan to have her travel with me and use the visitor visa she has obtained (hopefully) and enter the country. Now my only question is: since applying and getting her visitor visa and while entering the country, her status with me has changed from being a fiance to being my spouse. How do I tackle this? Should I wait until marriage is over to apply for visitor visa?

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If something significant happens while your the is pending, you can inform CIC. That is not difficult. However, if you are looking for an advise as to whether she should apply TRV as your wife or as your fiancé, I would say it is better that she applies as your wife. Why? Because CIC denies visas to fiancé to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Citizens because CIC thinks when the fiancé comes to Canada, the couple will get married in Canada and once the fiancé becomes spouse, she will not return to home country at the end of the TRV. So typically the word "Fiancé" is a red flag to CIC.

rogerset

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Dear All, Thank you for responding to my query. However, let me rephrase my question:

1) Right now, I am engaged to my fiance

2) In November, we are getting married.

3) after marriage, i want to bring her immediately with me to Canada. I do not want her staying away from me even for one day.

4) I plan to ask her to apply for visitor visa where I will send her invitation letter as her fiance (which is what I am to her now)

5) she gets her visitor visa before Nov

6) but my concern is: when she travels with me to Canada (I am a PR, pls note) and she enters Canada on her visitor visa which she got on the strength that her 'fiance' invited her, but now this fiance is her husband, will that be, later on, considered wrong by CIC when I apply for her PR sponsorship?

7) If I wait for marriage to get over and then apply for visitor visa, it is too risky for me as if her visa is rejected, then i have to stay back with her and also i dont have the time to apply for her visitor visa just before or after the marriage ceremony.

Pls help

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rogerset said:
Dear All, Thank you for responding to my query. However, let me rephrase my question:

1) Right now, I am engaged to my fiance

2) In November, we are getting married.

3) after marriage, i want to bring her immediately with me to Canada. I do not want her staying away from me even for one day.

4) I plan to ask her to apply for visitor visa where I will send her invitation letter as her fiance (which is what I am to her now)

5) she gets her visitor visa before Nov

6) but my concern is: when she travels with me to Canada (I am a PR, pls note) and she enters Canada on her visitor visa which she got on the strength that her 'fiance' invited her, but now this fiance is her husband, will that be, later on, considered wrong by CIC when I apply for her PR sponsorship?

7) If I wait for marriage to get over and then apply for visitor visa, it is too risky for me as if her visa is rejected, then i have to stay back with her and also i dont have the time to apply for her visitor visa just before or after the marriage ceremony.

Pls help
5) "she gets her visitor visa before Nov" - You are making a huge assumption. She will most likely not get the visitor visa because you invite her as your "fiance". Again, the word "fiance" is red flag to CIC.

6) No, this should not be a conern. If that visa stamp hits her passport, she has 6 months to enter and exit Canada. Her passport will not say she got the visa because her fiance invited her. THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE!!!!!

The biggest issue for you is whether she gets the visitor visa. I understand that you want to bring your wife with you when you get married. I was in the same situation a few months ago. However, there is a process to go through. Again, my advice is to get married first, start the spouse sponsorship process, than then put in visitor visa application.

rogerset

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Hello Mr O_Guy, thank you so much for your valuable advice. It is much appreciated. Per your response, here is what I understand:

1) Inviting my future wife as a fiance is more risky than inviting my wife as a wife. Inviting my wife stands more chance of getting the visitor visa

2) You suggest, i get married, send in sponsorship application, and then immediately also apply for her visitor visa, wait for the visitor visa to come through, then after the marriage ceremony and by then, she has hopefully gotten her visitor visa, she travels with me in the same flight and enters Canada as a visitor visiting her husband in Canada.

My only question is: why do you think inviting her as a 'fiance' is a red flag to CIC. Isn't inviting a spouse more risk of overstaying as I am now wedded to her and she will not leave Canada on expiry of her visitor visa? Is it not obvious that a fiance may leave Canada but the spouse will never leave Canada. Also, as spouse, i would have already put in sponsorship papers and then that is all the more reason my spouse will not leave Canada, right? Atleast when we apply for visitor visa as fiance, then atleast sponsorship papers not yet filed and CIC will think that she will return back to India upon expiry of visitor visa.

Pls do clarify

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Before I got married overseas, I spoke with an immigration attorney. He told me visitor visa for a fiance is red flag to CIC because they will certainly assume that if they approve this visitor visa, the fiance will come to Canada, become spouse, and not leave at the end of her visa.

However, if you marry her first, apply for the spouse sponsorship, and then apply for the visitor visa, the important thing for CIC is if you can show you have enough money to support your wife. There is no 100% certainty when it comes to the Canadian immigration. The lawyer simply told me what CIC does in "most cases".

But go ahead and apply for the visitor visa as your fiance (this can be your Plan A). If that is denied, then you can go to your Plan B.

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
It worked for me to apply for my wife's visitor visa after we were married. Remember there is no guarantee that you will get the visa no matter what way you apply and you will have to wait for your spouse while your in Canada and she is back home.

rogerset

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Hi All,

Is the following a better way considering my situation:

1) my fiance applies for a visitor visa to Canada, now itself, on her own, just as a regular tourist and she gets the visa?

2) In november, we get married and then she travels to Canada as a tourist

3) later on, we apply for her spousal PR?

Is this a better way? The only advantage here I see is that she applies for visitor visa a regular tourist and thus we avoid this whole fiance or spouse thing which can sometimes makes CIC nervous that she may overstay her visitor visa. Pls advise.

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your fiancé has a good job and can submit letter of employment showing her salary with the application, then she has a good chance of receiving the visa. Otherwise it is very difficult to get tourist visa to Canada. In fact, Canada is far more difficult than getting tourist visa to the United States.

rogerset

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Hello All,

I work for a company which has big offices in India where my fiance is. Apparently, my company sends a lot of foreign IT workers to Canada and they routinely apply for visitor visa for the spouses of these workers. So I was speaking to the HR of my company and they said, they will try and file for my spouse from my company's end. The advantage is now a company is filing on my spouse's behalf. Will this be any better? Are the chances of approval more if my company is filing to the consulate saying that the worked (myself) is in a permanent Resident status in Canada working for the company and his spouse would liek to visit him.

Pls advise.

karthicbaboo

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Halifax, NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So what happened here?? DID you apply for TRV ??? Can you Update so that i can follow the same process.

JAZZY1992

Mar 17, 2014
this is our plan A and plan B also,if plan A is denied then we will go to plan B,i just submitted my application yesterday,waiting for the result..hopefully it will be approved..

sreeram

Aug 27, 2013
Hi guys,
My name is Sreeram. I have a PR and its been close to 10 months in Canada. I have been trying to get my wife here on spousal sponsorship. So with this respect I had applied her forms with relevant documents, in Jan. Unfortunately they returned the application, saying its incomplete as it does not have any "option C print out". At the time of my application I did not have my T4 so I attached other financial documents like statement and payslips to support.

Now i have submitted my application for tax returns, but since its a first time application the agency says it would take anywhere between 3 to 6 months for my tax returns to come in. So i was thinking if I can bring in my wife on a Tourist Visa. I would like to know if, me bringing her on Tourist Visa would affect the Spousal Sponsorship? What steps should I take so that the next time, there is no delay or return of application.

Regards,

Sreeram