+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa for my child, are we family members?

astrodude

Jan 1, 2019
hi,

My wife and I are both PRs and we are apply for a visitor visa for our newborn child. When going through online questionnaires, a few questions bothered me:

1.Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older? NO or YES?Are we defined as family members of our kid?

2.How are you related to your family member? Choose Child or Parent?

3.Are you accompanying a family member that has status in Canada, or has recently been approved to come to Canada? NO or YES?Same as question 1.

4.How long are you planning to stay in Canada? As we are applying a visitor visa, can we choose over 6 months? (we plan to sponsor him after entering Canada and the normal process time is over 200 days. We do not want to be separated)

Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hi,

My wife and I are both PRs and we are apply for a visitor visa for our newborn child. When going through online questionnaires, a few questions bothered me:

1.Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older? NO or YES?Are we defined as family members of our kid?

2.How are you related to your family member? Choose Child or Parent?

3.Are you accompanying a family member that has status in Canada, or has recently been approved to come to Canada? NO or YES?Same as question 1.

4.How long are you planning to stay in Canada? As we are applying a visitor visa, can we choose over 6 months? (we plan to sponsor him after entering Canada and the normal process time is over 200 days. We do not want to be separated)

Thanks.
1. Seriously need to ask that?

2. Child.

3. Yes.

4. Better to request less than 6 months.

astrodude

Jan 1, 2019
1. Seriously need to ask that?

2. Child.

3. Yes.

4. Better to request less than 6 months.
I thought so too. but in the CIC definition of family member, it only includes spouse, children and children’s children, but parent is not in it. A kid obvious does not have those family members above.

Anis370

Jan 7, 2021
Hi astrodude, I know this is an old thread.. hope everything went as planed with you and the family.
I'm going through the same situation here (CIC should really fix this for future families) please tell me:
1. How did you answer above questions?
2. did you get a TRV for your kid? If so, what was its validity period?
3. What VO you applied through?

Looking forward to hear your input.. thanks

Reactions: Aaqil