+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for in-laws

Sen_

Jun 20, 2021
Hi everyone!

So we have this situation: my husband and I came to Canada this year. We are both permanent residents. I don't work or have any other source of income. My husband works at a local company.

My mum wants to visit us. It is going to be a short term visit for less than 6 months, not a family reunion or anything that requires a sponsorship.

We want to send her an invitation to increase her chances but as I don't work I don't know whether an invitation issued by me will have any effect on her application. So we thought my husband could send it out as he has a paid job. I've googled it but have been finding different information on this. Some say he can invite an in-law, other say it's the child that has to sponsor. I'm not sure how this works. Can anyone, please, provide some certain info on this? Maybe from an official source or a recent personal experience.

I would also like to understand whether there is a specific form for an invitation and if it has to be approved by a notary or any government authority.

Any details would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hi everyone!

So we have this situation: my husband and I came to Canada this year. We are both permanent residents. I don't work or have any other source of income. My husband works at a local company.

My mum wants to visit us. It is going to be a short term visit for less than 6 months, not a family reunion or anything that requires a sponsorship.

We want to send her an invitation to increase her chances but as I don't work I don't know whether an invitation issued by me will have any effect on her application. So we thought my husband could send it out as he has a paid job. I've googled it but have been finding different information on this. Some say he can invite an in-law, other say it's the child that has to sponsor. I'm not sure how this works. Can anyone, please, provide some certain info on this? Maybe from an official source or a recent personal experience. You can write a letter but what is more important is for your Mother to show her own funds, justify purpose of visit and prove her stay is temporary. Good Luck

I would also like to understand whether there is a specific form for an invitation and if it has to be approved by a notary or any government authority.

Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone!

We want to send her an invitation to increase her chances but as I don't work I don't know whether an invitation issued by me will have any effect on her application. So we thought my husband could send it out as he has a paid job. I've googled it but have been finding different information on this. Some say he can invite an in-law, other say it's the child that has to sponsor. I'm not sure how this works. Can anyone, please, provide some certain info on this? Maybe from an official source or a recent personal experience.

Thanks in advance!
No need to spend any money on a notary or immigration consultant or lawyer. No need to get a letter from your MP unless you know them personally. General letters from your MP have no impact on TRVs. Would invite your mother and include your husband as an additional person inviting your mother. The invitation letter has very little to do with approval and doesn’t have to be complicated. As already indicated what is important is that your mother show that she has the funds to support her visit and that she has strong ties to her home country to prove she will return home. You can include your family’s financial infkrmation as additional proof.

Sen_

Jun 20, 2021
No need to spend any money on a notary or immigration consultant or lawyer. No need to get a letter from your MP unless you know them personally. General letters from your MP have no impact on TRVs. Would invite your mother and include your husband as an additional person inviting your mother. The invitation letter has very little to do with approval and doesn’t have to be complicated. As already indicated what is important is that your mother show that she has the funds to support her visit and that she has strong ties to her home country to prove she will return home. You can include your family’s financial infkrmation as additional proof.
Thanks for the reply!
My mum doesn't work, she's retired. Her and my dad are divorced but share the household. My mum owns immovable property and has some saving but nothing else other than that. Her chances of getting a visa aren't high then?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply!
My mum doesn't work, she's retired. Her and my dad are divorced but share the household. My mum owns immovable property and has some saving but nothing else other than that. Her chances of getting a visa aren't high then?
Tough to say. Sometimes parents still get approved with a small amount of savings but yes it will be more difficult. Given that your parents are divorced she can’t include his savings.

Sen_

Jun 20, 2021
Tough to say. Sometimes parents still get approved with a small amount of savings but yes it will be more difficult. Given that your parents are divorced she can’t include his savings.
Do you think there is anything that can increase those chances for her? I checked the document list. It's very general.

Also, should the invitation letter be joint (by me and my husband) or separate (one from me, one from my husband) in this case? Or maybe if my husband works, it should be by him only? You mentioned that I can add him, but I don't know how exactly I should do that.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you think there is anything that can increase those chances for her? I checked the document list. It's very general.

Also, should the invitation letter be joint (by me and my husband) or separate (one from me, one from my husband) in this case? Or maybe if my husband works, it should be by him only? You mentioned that I can add him, but I don't know how exactly I should do that.
Can be a joint application. How long have you been in Canada? Your posts says you moved this year. How long you have been in Canada May also be a factor. There can be concerns that parents are trying to move with their children if they haven’t established themselves in Canada before parent want to visit.

Sen_

Jun 20, 2021
Can be a joint application. How long have you been in Canada? Your posts says you moved this year. How long you have been in Canada May also be a factor. There can be concerns that parents are trying to move with their children if they haven’t established themselves in Canada before parent want to visit.
We moved this may. I guess we need to wait for a year to make it less risky?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We moved this may. I guess we need to wait for a year to make it less risky?
If you only moved this May there will likely be increased concerns about whether she is trying to remain in Canada permanently. The fact that she is divorced and doesn’t seem to have significant savings would also likely be an issue. Does she have international travel history and to where? Do you have any other siblings and where to they live? Would at least be in Canada for 6 months before attempting to apply for a TRV but her overall profile will be important. If he has minimal ties, funds and minima travel history a supervisa may be her only option and you would need proof of earning enough money in Canada to meet LICO before she would qualify. NOA is the preferred proof for a supervisa application. Her country of citizenship will also factor into approval.