+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for fiance (to-be spouse) - prior to spousal sponsorship

blackwood96

Jan 15, 2022
I am a Canadian citizen and currently engaged to a foreign national who I plan to getting married to outside of Canada prior to bringing her here. I understand that I will only be able to apply for a spousal sponsorship once we get married and sign the contract. However, since the spousal sponsorship takes 1 year to process from the date of marriage and I would hate for us to live separated for one whole year post-marriage, I am planning to take a proactive approach and advise my fiance to apply for a visitor visa starting now.

I am wondering if it's okay for me to send her a letter of invitation and be her host (as her fiance) for the TRV application. If so, any tips to strengthen the application? E.g. Should I state that the intent of this visa is for her to come visit me once we're legally married and whilst the spousal sponsorship application is getting processed? Or does stating this ruin our chances of getting the TRV granted to her? Any alternatives?

P.S. she does have close friends here who could also invite her, but I fear that once that we apply for spousal sponsorship whilst she's here on a TRV that this would classify as misrepresentation, as the date on the marriage certificate will be prior her entry into Canada i.e. she would be entering Canada as someone who's legally married to a Canadian even though the letter of invitation for the TRV application omits that statement and states her intention as someone who's coming to visit her friend. Hence, I'm not the biggest fan of this option.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a Canadian citizen and currently engaged to a foreign national who I plan to getting married to outside of Canada prior to bringing her here. I understand that I will only be able to apply for a spousal sponsorship once we get married and sign the contract. However, since the spousal sponsorship takes 1 year to process from the date of marriage and I would hate for us to live separated for one whole year post-marriage, I am planning to take a proactive approach and advise my fiance to apply for a visitor visa starting now.

I am wondering if it's okay for me to send her a letter of invitation and be her host (as her fiance) for the TRV application. If so, any tips to strengthen the application? E.g. Should I state that the intent of this visa is for her to come visit me once we're legally married and whilst the spousal sponsorship application is getting processed? Or does stating this ruin our chances of getting the TRV granted to her? Any alternatives?

P.S. she does have close friends here who could also invite her, but I fear that once that we apply for spousal sponsorship whilst she's here on a TRV that this would classify as misrepresentation, as the date on the marriage certificate will be prior her entry into Canada i.e. she would be entering Canada as someone who's legally married to a Canadian even though the letter of invitation for the TRV application omits that statement and states her intention as someone who's coming to visit her friend. Hence, I'm not the biggest fan of this option.
Why don't you continue living with your wife outside Canada until she get Confirmation of permanent residence "COPR"? Then you won't be separated with her.

blackwood96

Jan 15, 2022
Why don't you continue living with your wife outside Canada until she get Confirmation of permanent residence "COPR"? Then you won't be separated with her.
I wish it were that easy but my career will take quite the turn, so I'm trynna keep that as my last resort. Any insight into the question posed tho? From personal experience or knowledge of other experiences?