+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

VIsitor visa extension

Pink rose5

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
Hi all,

My mother came to visit me last year in October and in the beginning of March 2022, I applied for her visitor visa extension. It has been 5 months and 20 days but we have not received any update on her application. I checked online the processing time is 203 days and we are standing at 173 days. I am worried that in the extension application, I specifically asked for extension until sep 19. Now, we have no update for her application. And I am not sure what to do? Can anyone advise please? Also, can I apply for her second extension after we hear about her first application?

Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

My mother came to visit me last year in October and in the beginning of March 2022, I applied for her visitor visa extension. It has been 5 months and 20 days but we have not received any update on her application. I checked online the processing time is 203 days and we are standing at 173 days. I am worried that in the extension application, I specifically asked for extension until sep 19. Now, we have no update for her application. And I am not sure what to do? Can anyone advise please? Also, can I apply for her second extension after we hear about her first application?

Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately there is a huge backlog so most people are waiting for approximately 6 months to get an answer about extension. If approved for an extension you will usually get around a month from the date of approval if the extension date you requested has already passed. Yes you can attempt to get another extension if the 1st one is approved. She remains on a visitor visa though so she does need to make plans to return at a certain point because extensions will not be granted at a certain point. If she wants to visit longer she should return home, reestablish her ties and apply for a supervisa.

Reactions: Pink rose5

Pink rose5

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
Unfortunately there is a huge backlog so most people are waiting for approximately 6 months to get an answer about extension. If approved for an extension you will usually get around a month from the date of approval if the extension date you requested has already passed. Yes you can attempt to get another extension if the 1st one is approved. She remains on a visitor visa though so she does need to make plans to return at a certain point because extensions will not be granted at a certain point. If she wants to visit longer she should return home, reestablish her ties and apply for a supervisa.
Thanks for this info!
Her ticket is booked for Sept 19 so I was thinking to extend the ticket date till October if we don’t hear back.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for this info!
Her ticket is booked for Sept 19 so I was thinking to extend the ticket date till October if we don’t hear back.
Unless she wants to leave she should extend her ticket. If you want to try to extend again you may want to cancel the flight especially if there is a change fee. I guess it depends on whether you got a good deal on the flight and want to keep the flight in case she is denied. If this Is only her first extension there is a high probability of approval.

Pink rose5

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
Unless she wants to leave she should extend her ticket. If you want to try to extend again you may want to cancel the flight especially if there is a change fee. I guess it depends on whether you got a good deal on the flight and want to keep the flight in case she is denied. If this Is only her first extension there is a high probability of approval.
Yeah I am bit confused. Its her first extension. If I can't extend her ticket then we will go by sep 19 and maybe I can submit a web form to let know that she left already.