+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa extension

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
so m jst trying to understand how does the multiple entry visit visa work...my frnds husband got multilpe entry visit visa until oct 2020..he is already inside canada now..does he have to leave once his 6 month stay is up or he can apply for extension within canada? my frnd sd he already has visa till oct 2020 so has to exit canada n re enter if he wants to visit again before oct 2020

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
so m jst trying to understand how does the multiple entry visit visa work...my frnds husband got multilpe entry visit visa until oct 2020..he is already inside canada now..does he have to leave once his 6 month stay is up or he can apply for extension within canada? my frnd sd he already has visa till oct 2020 so has to exit canada n re enter if he wants to visit again before oct 2020
He can leave or apply for an extension. His choice.

If he leaves at the 6 month mark, he should not try to return soon after. He should be able to show ties to his own country.

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
okay that makes sense...i guess the extension from within canada will give the right to stay in canada like visitor permit n not the right to re enter canada like a visa...but they also have a outland sponsorship in process so wouldnt that leave a negtive impact?..she is having her first baby so wanted to use that reason for him to stay until delivery..

n when does one apply for extension is it right before 6 months from the date they entered canada or before 6 months from the time visa was issued?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
okay that makes sense...i guess the extension from within canada will give the right to stay in canada like visitor permit n not the right to re enter canada like a visa...but they also have a outland sponsorship in process so wouldnt that leave a negtive impact?..she is having her first baby so wanted to use that reason for him to stay until delivery..

n when does one apply for extension is it right before 6 months from the date they entered canada or before 6 months from the time visa was issued?
No, having a sponsorship app in process would not have a negative impact. It is good to state that in the extension app.

Again, the TRV has nothing to do with it. He needs to apply before his 6 months visitor status expires.

maria_786

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2013
so his multiple entry visa was issued oct 2019 n expires in oct 2020 but his 6 month stay from the date he entered canada will be up in july 2020 since he entered canada in jan 2020 so he needs to apply 30 days before july or 30 days before oct 2020?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
so his multiple entry visa was issued oct 2019 n expires in oct 2020 but his 6 month stay from the date he entered canada will be up in july 2020 since he entered canada in jan 2020 so he needs to apply 30 days before july or 30 days before oct 2020?
I really don't know how many times I have to say it: the TRV has NOTHING to do with status in Canada. He needs to apply before his visitor status expires.