+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Extension - Travel during the extension

MzQueen

May 27, 2022
Hey everyone,

My mum is currently on a visitor visa and we have applied for an extension of 2 months. She came in November and is due to leave this May but we applied for her to leave in July and we have received no response yet. Please note that she still has a valid multiple entry Canadian Visa which expires July 31, 2022. The reason why we had requested an extension was because she would be spending 8 months instead of 6 months, and not because her Canada visa expired.

Now we realised she needs to go to Mexico to submit biometrics for a visa application she has lodged with another country, as they do not have any biometric centre in Canada.

Can she go to Mexico and come back into Canada since she still has a valid multiple entry visa? Hope the agents at the airport will not say she had spent more than 6 months before now. We are yet to receive approval for the extension she had requested.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey everyone,

My mum is currently on a visitor visa and we have applied for an extension of 2 months. She came in November and is due to leave this May but we applied for her to leave in July and we have received no response yet. Please note that she still has a valid multiple entry Canadian Visa which expires July 31, 2022. The reason why we had requested an extension was because she would be spending 8 months instead of 6 months, and not because her Canada visa expired.

Now we realised she needs to go to Mexico to submit biometrics for a visa application she has lodged with another country, as they do not have any biometric centre in Canada.

Can she go to Mexico and come back into Canada since she still has a valid multiple entry visa? Hope the agents at the airport will not say she had spent more than 6 months before now. We are yet to receive approval for the extension she had requested.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.
She can but once she leaves her extension is cancelled. It always at the discretion of CBSA whether she will be allowed back into Canada especially if it looks like she is living in Canada.

MzQueen

May 27, 2022
She can but once she leaves her extension is cancelled. It always at the discretion of CBSA whether she will be allowed back into Canada especially if it looks like she is living in Canada.
Thanks for your response. I understand that her extension will be cancelled. I was hoping that logically she should still be allowed entry since she still has a valid visa that would expire in July.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your response. I understand that her extension will be cancelled. I was hoping that logically she should still be allowed entry since she still has a valid visa that would expire in July.
It's always up to CBSA. She probably will be but it's not guaranteed. A valid TRV doesn't automatically mean someone will be allowed into Canada.

Reactions: Naturgrl