+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Extension Refusal - Please help

KP4188

May 27, 2015
Hello,

I applied for a Visitor Visa extension for my mother-in-law on May 17, 2022, and today I received the final decision on the application saying refused with the below reason.
"Immigration Legislation requires that every foreign national in Canada must hold a valid passport, identity, or travel document. As a foreign national in Canada, you have not produced evidence that you are in possession of such a document and that it is valid for the duration of your stay in Canada."

Her visitor visa expired on June 1st, 2022 and she left Canada on July 20th, 2022.

When I applied, I submitted all the required information, supporting documents, bank statements, pay stubs, etc to support an application for an extension. Her pass has expired on Nov 4th and that could be the main reason for the refusal of her application. She has left the country already and I would like to know what should do now.

Should I appeal the decision? Will there be any issue if she applies for a visitor visa again in the future?

Thank you so much in advance

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I applied for a Visitor Visa extension for my mother-in-law on May 17, 2022, and today I received the final decision on the application saying refused with the below reason.
"Immigration Legislation requires that every foreign national in Canada must hold a valid passport, identity, or travel document. As a foreign national in Canada, you have not produced evidence that you are in possession of such a document and that it is valid for the duration of your stay in Canada."

Her visitor visa expired on June 1st, 2022 and she left Canada on July 20th, 2022.

When I applied, I submitted all the required information, supporting documents, bank statements, pay stubs, etc to support an application for an extension. Her pass has expired on Nov 4th and that could be the main reason for the refusal of her application. She has left the country already and I would like to know what should do now.

Should I appeal the decision? Will there be any issue if she applies for a visitor visa again in the future?

An extension is only good if she is still in the country. She has left so extension is no longer required so can’t appeal if not in the country. The fact that she overstayed could be an issue but she will not know until she reapplies.

Reactions: Buletruck

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

It would have made sense to withdraw the extension application once she left Canada since extensions are only valid while someone remains in Canada and they cannot be used for re-entery. If you wanted to keep the extension application running for some reason, then you would have wanted to update the application with her new passport.

Yes, the validity date of her passport is why she was refused. There's nothing to appeal IMO.

This should not impact future applications.

Reactions: JamesRodriguez

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
An extension is only good if she is still in the country. She has left so extension is no longer required so can’t appeal if not in the country. The fact that she overstayed could be an issue but she will not know until she reapplies.
I don't see where she overstayed. She had implied status until a decision was made and left months before that decision was made.

Reactions: Naturgrl

KP4188

May 27, 2015
I don't see where she overstayed. She had implied status until a decision was made and left months before that decision was made.
Thank you @scylla and @Naturgrl for your response to this.

I agree that while she was in Canada she was on the implied status and based on implied status she can stay until a decision is made. Also, I kept the application in the process as the approval will give her proof of the overstayed.

My other question is that her Visitor visa has expired with her passport and my in-laws got selected for the 2022 parents and grandparents PR draw.

Will there be any issue for her in the future when I apply for a Visitor visa or PR application and how should I present this in the application?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you @scylla and @Naturgrl for your response to this.

I agree that while she was in Canada she was on the implied status and based on implied status she can stay until a decision is made. Also, I kept the application in the process as the approval will give her proof of the overstayed.

My other question is that her Visitor visa has expired with her passport and my in-laws got selected for the 2022 parents and grandparents PR draw.

Will there be any issue for her in the future when I apply for a Visitor visa or PR application and how should I present this in the application?

Thanks
You need to mention the refusal both in her PR application and in the TRV application. No impact on the PR application provided the refusal is listed.