+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa extension from within Canada . Need HELP

amrut24

Jun 21, 2013
Hi Guys,

I request your help in determining the correct package and place to apply for TRV for my dependent family in Ottawa in my scenario.

I am staying in Ottawa with my family . I have a valid work permit which expires on 30 June 2014.
My son and my wife stay with me. Their Visitor record is valid till 30 th June 2014.Our multiple entry visa will expire on 30 June 2013

I wish to apply online for extension of their TRV from within Canada. I have applied for my TRV extension online , but I am getting contradictory information from CIC agents regards the online form that needs to be used to apply for my dependent family. Agents have sent me packages with form number 5257 E and also with form number 5708 E and I am not sure which one is correct ? i have spoken to 5 different agents and no one has clarified the issue for me.

Please advice me regards :

1) the correct form to apply for their TRV extension ( they have valid visitor record till 30 June 2014 and they are currently staying with me in Canada) . ( I have tried playing around with the online eligibility tool for their visitor visa extension, but it ends up showing me form 5708 E , which the CIC agent says is wrong form. She said 5708 E is for requesting restoring visitor status and not for TRV application . Since , their visitor permit is valid till next year , i should not fill that form )

2) Please tell me if I can apply online or through mail ?

3) Lastly , if it has to be done by mail , then which location should I apply ? In Canada or It needs to be at some other place. The reason i ask is cause , one of the agents said that they will need to apply in India , while other agent said that they can apply in Canada .

FYI : I am an Indian citizen . And to put simply, i just need to extend my family`s visitor visa as they have a valid permit

Thanking you in anticipation,

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Hi first of all, are you a skilled worker?, and is the permits that your wife and son hold a student permit(son) and an open work permit(Wife)?I asked that because the expiry is the same time as your work permit. That's how it usually works.

Are you looking to get an extension of the Permits or the Visa?
You should be aware that if you are not planning to travel outside Canada after June 30,2013 it does not matter.
You can stay in Canada even if your VISA is expired as long as your PERMIT is all VALID. (ALL of You are legally allowed to stay in Canada,until June30,2014)

Now if you are planning to travel outside CANADA once the VISA is expired. you will need to renew it.
I will post the link of the correct forms.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

So I hope you get it that you will only need a valid visa if planning to travel outside Canada after June 30.
This is why the permits always say not valid for Re-Entry because you need a visa for re-entry.
So if you actually need a NEW VISA because your are travelling you can do that while you are inside Canada, as the application package says and you will need to send them your passports, to put in the NEw VISA.

I hope this helps our confusion.

thisu

Star Member
Jun 19, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4 march 2013
File Transfer...
29 march 2013
Med's Done....
18 January 2013
Passport Req..
19 April 2013
VISA ISSUED...
WAITING
LANDED..........
WAITING
amrut24 said:
Hi Guys,

I request your help in determining the correct package and place to apply for TRV for my dependent family in Ottawa in my scenario.

I am staying in Ottawa with my family . I have a valid work permit which expires on 30 June 2014.
My son and my wife stay with me. Their Visitor record is valid till 30 th June 2014.Our multiple entry visa will expire on 30 June 2013

I wish to apply online for extension of their TRV from within Canada. I have applied for my TRV extension online , but I am getting contradictory information from CIC agents regards the online form that needs to be used to apply for my dependent family. Agents have sent me packages with form number 5257 E and also with form number 5708 E and I am not sure which one is correct ? i have spoken to 5 different agents and no one has clarified the issue for me.

Please advice me regards :

1) the correct form to apply for their TRV extension ( they have valid visitor record till 30 June 2014 and they are currently staying with me in Canada) . ( I have tried playing around with the online eligibility tool for their visitor visa extension, but it ends up showing me form 5708 E , which the CIC agent says is wrong form. She said 5708 E is for requesting restoring visitor status and not for TRV application . Since , their visitor permit is valid till next year , i should not fill that form )

2) Please tell me if I can apply online or through mail ?

3) Lastly , if it has to be done by mail , then which location should I apply ? In Canada or It needs to be at some other place. The reason i ask is cause , one of the agents said that they will need to apply in India , while other agent said that they can apply in Canada .

FYI : I am an Indian citizen . And to put simply, i just need to extend my family`s visitor visa as they have a valid permit

Thanking you in anticipation,
It is better advise to apply by mail. if you have the valid work permit you can attached the permit copy also. once you applied please keep the booking receipt.

amrut24

Jun 21, 2013
marsiangal said:
Hi first of all, are you a skilled worker?, and is the permits that your wife and son hold a student permit(son) and an open work permit(Wife)?I asked that because the expiry is the same time as your work permit. That's how it usually works.

Are you looking to get an extension of the Permits or the Visa?
You should be aware that if you are not planning to travel outside Canada after June 30,2013 it does not matter.
You can stay in Canada even if your VISA is expired as long as your PERMIT is all VALID. (ALL of You are legally allowed to stay in Canada,until June30,2014)

Now if you are planning to travel outside CANADA once the VISA is expired. you will need to renew it.
I will post the link of the correct forms.

So I hope you get it that you will only need a valid visa if planning to travel outside Canada after June 30.
This is why the permits always say not valid for Re-Entry because you need a visa for re-entry.
So if you actually need a NEW VISA because your are travelling you can do that while you are inside Canada, as the application package says and you will need to send them your passports, to put in the NEw VISA.

I hope this helps our confusion.

hi , Thanks for your reply .
You got it right . I just need the visa so that i can travel out of Canada and then come back . My wife and son both have Visitor record ( not student permit , nor work permit). Our permits are valid till next year and i know i can stay in the country , but cant travel outside and come back without the valid visa.
Thanks for the link to the forms and now i know which forms to fill .
The only question that i have now is should i send these forms to CPP-O ofiicer ?
Cause the agents had told me to send it to India , one said to send it to Aggeville,Alberta . The website seems to say that from within Canada i should now send it to CPP-O officer. Am i correct ??

@thisu : yes, i am planning to send it through mail only . Just unsure if it needs to go to CPP-O officer or somebody else.

Thanks for your valuable time and replies guys .

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
amrut24 said:
hi , Thanks for your reply .
You got it right . I just need the visa so that i can travel out of Canada and then come back . My wife and son both have Visitor record ( not student permit , nor work permit). Our permits are valid till next year and i know i can stay in the country , but cant travel outside and come back without the valid visa.
Thanks for the link to the forms and now i know which forms to fill .
The only question that i have now is should i send these forms to CPP-O ofiicer ?
Cause the agents had told me to send it to India , one said to send it to Aggeville,Alberta . The website seems to say that from within Canada i should now send it to CPP-O officer. Am i correct ??

@ thisu : yes, i am planning to send it through mail only . Just unsure if it needs to go to CPP-O officer or somebody else.

Thanks for your valuable time and replies guys .
BEcause you are in Canada, You should send it to CPP ottawa and use the in Canada applicant checklist and forms. This will take less time and expense instead of sending all in INdia.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

marsiangal said:
BEcause you are in Canada, You should send it to CPP ottawa and use the in Canada applicant checklist and forms. This will take less time and expense instead of sending all in INdia.
As they are in Canada as a visitors not a student/worker, their TRV application will be processed overseas.

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
PMM said:
Hi

As they are in Canada as a visitors not a student/worker, their TRV application will be processed overseas.
I understand that but he has a work permit according to him. What I do not understand is if they (wife and kid) just have a visitor status how come the expiration is similar to the expiration of his work permit? I thought they are only valid for 6 months or something like that?.Was it only a co-incidence? Please enlighten me on this. Thanks.

amrut24

Jun 21, 2013
Ok , let me explain the situation .
I applied for visa in India when i got an appointment letter from Canadian firm . So , me and my family were granted a years visa . However , subsequently the contract letter from the firm that followed , was for 2 years . However , i had already sent my passport for stamping and it was too late to do anything .
When i landed in Ottawa , the immigration official looked at my contract letter and my visa . He did ask me why the visa was for a year when the contract letter was for 2 years . I explained him the situation.
Then he decided to give me 2 years work permit and my family members 2 years of visitor record since they were staying with me for the whole time . So our visa has expired , but all 3 have valid permits till next year .
I dont know the laws , but thats what happened .
And hence , now i am in this situation .

I ll wait for you too well informed seniors to tell me where should i apply for my family s TRV visa . I have already applied online for mine .
Thanks again..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

marsiangal said:
I understand that but he has a work permit according to him. What I do not understand is if they (wife and kid) just have a visitor status how come the expiration is similar to the expiration of his work permit? I thought they are only valid for 6 months or something like that?.Was it only a co-incidence? Please enlighten me on this. Thanks.
Because they got a TRV to accompany him, and as they didn't apply for study permits or a SOWP (if eligible) they gave them visitor status equal to his work permit.

amrut24

Jun 21, 2013
I am still confused . Sorry to be asking the same question again .

Am i suppose to apply for their TRV in Ottawa with the CPP-O officer or should i be mailing it to India ??

Did you mean that , can mail it to the CPP-O officer in ottawa , but they will redirect it to India , where it will be processed ??

amrut24

Jun 21, 2013
BTW , this is what the website says ,
" Apply for a new temporary resident visa from within Canada
If you are currently a temporary resident in Canada with valid status (that is, a valid study or work permit), you can now apply for a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada before you leave.

You can apply in Canada if you are:

1) a legally admitted temporary resident (student or temporary foreign worker only) in Canada with a Canadian residential address;
2) your current temporary resident status is still valid, and your existing counterfoil is expired and/or was valid for only one entry; and
3) you require a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada in the near future "

I think my family members satisfy criteria 2 and 3 from the above . Hence they might be able to apply to the CPP-O officer . However , i am not certain about it and will wait for your opinion .

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

amrut24 said:
BTW , this is what the website says ,
" Apply for a new temporary resident visa from within Canada
If you are currently a temporary resident in Canada with valid status (that is, a valid study or work permit), you can now apply for a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada before you leave.

You can apply in Canada if you are:

1) a legally admitted temporary resident (student or temporary foreign worker only) in Canada with a Canadian residential address;
2) your current temporary resident status is still valid, and your existing counterfoil is expired and/or was valid for only one entry; and
3) you require a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada in the near future "

I think my family members satisfy criteria 2 and 3 from the above . Hence they might be able to apply to the CPP-O officer . However , i am not certain about it and will wait for your opinion .
Re-Read no. 1 again. a legally admitted temporary resident (student or temporary foreign worker only) in Canada with a Canadian residential address;

Your family are neither students or workers, they have to apply abroad. But it is your money to waste if you wish to apply to Ottawa.

amrut24

Jun 21, 2013
Thanks Guys,
I ll mail their applications to NYC .
We all have US visa just in case they need us to come in person for interview.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

amrut24 said:
Thanks Guys,
I ll mail their applications to NYC .
We all have US visa just in case they need us to come in person for interview.
1. Another waste of time and money, New York doesn't process TRVs for persons resident in Canada. See: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/new_york/visas/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d