+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa extension for spouse on Inland case

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi- If the sponsored spouse is in Canada with a visitor visa for 6 months and the Inland processing takes more than 6 months, what happens to the spouse's legal stay in canada? Does the spouse must leave Canada with in the 6 months period or is there any way to extend the stay or visa legally inside Canada? Is there any provision to extend the stay on a visitor visa legally with going outside of Canada? Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

chandu007 said:
Hi- If the sponsored spouse is in Canada with a visitor visa for 6 months and the Inland processing takes more than 6 months, what happens to the spouse's legal stay in canada? Does the spouse must leave Canada with in the 6 months period or is there any way to extend the stay or visa legally inside Canada? Is there any provision to extend the stay on a visitor visa legally with going outside of Canada? Thanks in advance.
No, they apply for an extension of their status to Vegreville. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

PMM

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
chandu007 said:
hey Chandu007, Once, I also called CIC office regarding this issue and they told me that as long as the PR application is in process, the sponsored applicant can stay in Canada legally even though the visitor status has expired. However, I think it is good idea to have the visitor status extended because it is easier to show legal status with that document. You will need to pay application fees but I think it is worth it. That's just my view.

When I applied to sponsor my wife by Inland process, I included the application to extend her visitor status. She received her visa extension after about 3 months. The visitor status was extended for one year. Your spouse does not need to leave Canada to apply for visitor status extension. In fact it is not recommended for the sponsored spouse to leave Canada before his/her PR is approved.

!! have a great day !!

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi max101, how long (approx) does it take for inland process if all documentations are done properly? Thanks.

max101 said:
hey Chandu007, Once, I also called CIC office regarding this issue and they told me that as long as the PR application is in process, the sponsored applicant can stay in Canada legally even though the visitor status has expired. However, I think it is good idea to have the visitor status extended because it is easier to show legal status with that document. You will need to pay application fees but I think it is worth it. That's just my view.

When I applied to sponsor my wife by Inland process, I included the application to extend her visitor status. She received her visa extension after about 3 months. The visitor status was extended for one year. Your spouse does not need to leave Canada to apply for visitor status extension. In fact it is not recommended for the sponsored spouse to leave Canada before his/her PR is approved.

!! have a great day !!

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
chandu007 said:
Hi max101, how long (approx) does it take for inland process if all documentations are done properly? Thanks.
Hi Chandu007, The "first stage approval" takes about 6 months. After the first stage approval, I think they schedule interview. I have known one spouse applicant (inland) got the PR Card within 7 months of filing application, but I have also heard others say that it can take 12 months. I sent my application in September 2009 and waiting for "first stage approval".

brightsage

Feb 8, 2010
Visa Office......
Vegerville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2nd. 2K10
Med's Done....
March 2nd. 2K10
Hi ..just spoke to an agent this morning about this very issue...she told me there are twop ways to deal with it...

1. send in an application for a work permit along with the application for PR....that way extension happens automatically as part of the process.

2. Apply for an extension sometime before the visitor (6 months) time frame expires...they will grant an extension

In my case i haven't sent int he PR application yet so i will attach the work visa app..as she wants to work anyway asap and would only have to do it later anyway.....

msabarish

Jan 20, 2009
Chandu

any particular reason you opted to apply inland vs outland. I believe in India, it usually only takes 4 months to process a PR application. If it's a personal reason, you don't have to respond - I understand.

For the work permit, do we still need to have an offer letter from an employer?

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
"hey Chandu007, Once, I also called CIC office regarding this issue and they told me that as long as the PR application is in process, the sponsored applicant can stay in Canada legally even though the visitor status has expired."

i have read this also in the Guide. so its true.

me myself applied for extension of my visitor status with my application for PR. it is advice to ask for extension 1 month before ur visitor status or visa expires and it takes them about 3 months to consider. thats what i heard and read.

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
msabarish, My wife prefers to stay in Canada rather than outside. So, she prefers not to take any chances. Regarding your question about work permit, I honestly don't know the answer. Hope some senior member can clarify. Thanks.

msabarish said:
Chandu

any particular reason you opted to apply inland vs outland. I believe in India, it usually only takes 4 months to process a PR application. If it's a personal reason, you don't have to respond - I understand.

For the work permit, do we still need to have an offer letter from an employer?