+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa extension approved - Question....

dj322

Sep 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th June 2013
File Transfer...
12th July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
24th January 2014
LANDED..........
Already here
Hey all,

I'm a UK citizen currently in Canada and I recently applied for a visitor extension as my 6 month visitor status came to an end. This extension was approved for an additional year and the letter states the following:

"A secure document has been mailed to you at the address that you provided when you made your application"

Does anyone know what this secure document is and what it says? Will it be a sticker that I put into my passport? Just curious what it is and how long it will take to receive?

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dj322 said:
Hey all,

I'm a UK citizen currently in Canada and I recently applied for a visitor extension as my 6 month visitor status came to an end. This extension was approved for an additional year and the letter states the following:

"A secure document has been mailed to you at the address that you provided when you made your application"

Does anyone know what this secure document is and what it says? Will it be a sticker that I put into my passport? Just curious what it is and how long it will take to receive?
Likely a visitor record. Technically you applied for an extension of stay (not a visa). It will show the date (amongst other information such as client ID etc.) until when you are authorized to stay in the country.

As to when it may arrive - it depends where you are relative from CPC-V (Vegreville, AB) where most extensions are processed.

dj322

Sep 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th June 2013
File Transfer...
12th July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
24th January 2014
LANDED..........
Already here
Hi all,

Just to let you know it literally arrived in a week, which was a pleasant surprise. And yes it is a visitor record on an A4 piece of paper. I guess if I leave the country and come back in this doesn't guarantee me entry back in?

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dj322 said:
Hi all,

Just to let you know it literally arrived in a week, which was a pleasant surprise. And yes it is a visitor record on an A4 piece of paper. I guess if I leave the country and come back in this doesn't guarantee me entry back in?
Good! - That was fast indeed.
Yes. It is not a travel/entry document - it is a status document and is proof of your authorization to stay/continue to stay in Canada.

Keep in mind that the visitor record/extension is for your current stay - if you exit Canada, that extension is not valid anymore. If you travel back/re-enter Canada, and you are re-admitted, you will be issued a new stay duration of up to 6months (on a stamp) or a new visitor record with your authorized period of stay indicated.

dj322

Sep 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th June 2013
File Transfer...
12th July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
24th January 2014
LANDED..........
Already here
Now that I have a visitor record do you think it is worth me leaving the country and trying to come back in? I only ask as I have an outland PR in process and am wondering if I should wait for this to go through. I did have intentions of going to the UK next month for a short while but I could delay this as I don't want to chance being split up from my other half. Any suggestions?

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I would get the visitor record form with the extension before going anywhere. It will just be a piece of paper. Not a sticker. My wife had to do that.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dj322 said:
Now that I have a visitor record do you think it is worth me leaving the country and trying to come back in? I only ask as I have an outland PR in process and am wondering if I should wait for this to go through. I did have intentions of going to the UK next month for a short while but I could delay this as I don't want to chance being split up from my other half. Any suggestions?
I'd suggest you utilize the extension granted to you - there is a reason why you requested it, and having been approved for one, maximize its use before deciding to exit. During that time, there may be updates to your outland application, and then you will have additional information to help you decide on your next course of action.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi all,

How long did it take for the actual visitors extension to be approved?