+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa - Expiry and Extension (Urgent)

jfam2016

Aug 23, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear all,

My mom is coming to Canada tomorrow for an emergency in our family. I realized very late that her visa expires on December. I think once she comes here tomorrow, I can't apply for her visitor visa within Canada (if I read the CIC correctly). She is coming from India. She has US Visa till January. Is it possible to go to USA and get Visitor visa from US (Los Angels Canadian Embassy ) and enter into Canada again?

Just wanted to know if anyone come across such situations. Appreciate any insight if someone can provide. If not I have to send her before the visa expires next month.

Appreciate your assistance/advice in this matter!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dear all,

My mom is coming to Canada tomorrow for an emergency in our family. I realized very late that her visa expires on December. I think once she comes here tomorrow, I can't apply for her visitor visa within Canada (if I read the CIC correctly). She is coming from India. She has US Visa till January. Is it possible to go to USA and get Visitor visa from US (Los Angels Canadian Embassy ) and enter into Canada again?

Just wanted to know if anyone come across such situations. Appreciate any insight if someone can provide. If not I have to send her before the visa expires next month.

Appreciate your assistance/advice in this matter!
The validity of the TRV has nothing to do with status in Canada. Provided her passport is valid beyond the TRV expiry date. she will likely get the normal 6 months of status on entry.

Reactions: jfam2016

jfam2016

Aug 23, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The validity of the TRV has nothing to do with status in Canada. Provided her passport is valid beyond the TRV expiry date. she will likely get the normal 6 months of status on entry.
Thank you! So you are saying she will get stamped on when she has to exit?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Thank you! So you are saying she will get stamped on when she has to exit?
When not stamped with a date, they can stay for 6 months
When stamped with a date, you have to exit by that date. This date could either be discretion of officer (and within passport expiry date)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add that the applying for a new TRV through Los Angeles option would not have been a walkin option there would still be processing time to follow and also potentially extra time based on country of passport holder applying outside of their home country.

Should your mother get less than time required on entry to the country then just apply through the extend stay as a visitor process given once application is in she can stay until a decision made and that could be 3-4 months away based on current published processing times.

Shahzad90

Nov 22, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I am from Pakistan living in Saudi Arabia, i want to apply for visit visa for Canada, any tips or suggestions, i will stay for