+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Expiring and needs extension while in Canada

sharmaalberta

Apr 11, 2019
Hi,
My father's visitor visa is expiring in July 2022 as his passport was expiring in July 2022. I already received the new passport and he is here in Canada with me. I want to understand that can I extend his stay in Canada past July 2022 even though his visitor visa will expire in July 2022. Please let me know. Thank you.

Elinalim

Mar 29, 2018
Hi! I'm in the exact same situation as well, but for my mum.

I'm currently applying for Super Visa for both parents. Dad's still in Malaysia. Mum's here with me in Canada though. Visitor visa expiring along with old passport in late May 2022.

I applied for a visitor record to extend my mum's stay, but that will still only allow her to stay till her visitor visa expires. So till we get the visitor record, she's got implied status to stay.

The Super Visa will only allow her to re-enter the country. But Super Visa takes a bit longer than applying for a new visitor visa with her new passport.

And lastly, I want to apply for her a new visitor visa on her new passport, but visitor visas can only be applied 'outside Canada'. Then even after getting the visitor visa, there's still the actual logistics like does she have to go to 'leave' the country and come back in on the new visitor visa. With current covid situation, it's just pretty difficult.

I'm trying to find answers but still not sure what to do.

Do update if you've got a solution.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
My father's visitor visa is expiring in July 2022 as his passport was expiring in July 2022. I already received the new passport and he is here in Canada with me. I want to understand that can I extend his stay in Canada past July 2022 even though his visitor visa will expire in July 2022. Please let me know. Thank you.
Yes you can apply to extend his stay as a visitor past July 2022. No guarantees but it is possible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! I'm in the exact same situation as well, but for my mum.

I'm currently applying for Super Visa for both parents. Dad's still in Malaysia. Mum's here with me in Canada though. Visitor visa expiring along with old passport in late May 2022.

I applied for a visitor record to extend my mum's stay, but that will still only allow her to stay till her visitor visa expires. So till we get the visitor record, she's got implied status to stay.

The Super Visa will only allow her to re-enter the country. But Super Visa takes a bit longer than applying for a new visitor visa with her new passport.

And lastly, I want to apply for her a new visitor visa on her new passport, but visitor visas can only be applied 'outside Canada'. Then even after getting the visitor visa, there's still the actual logistics like does she have to go to 'leave' the country and come back in on the new visitor visa. With current covid situation, it's just pretty difficult.

I'm trying to find answers but still not sure what to do.

Do update if you've got a solution.
You can’t apply for a supervisa from Canada. You can apply to extend her stay past the expiry date of her passport as long as she has a new passport that is valid last July 2022. No guarantees it will be approved. You are correct she will have implied status until you receive approval/refusal of the visitor record extension. Yes she will need to reenter Canada to use new visa. If she has been in Canada for a long time she isn’t guaranteed admission to Canada or may not be granted a 6 month stay. As a visitor she is expected to return home to reestablish her ties to her home country at a certain point especially if she has had a long visit to Canada.

Reactions: Elinalim