+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Entry to Canada

JLC123

Star Member
May 22, 2021
I recently applied for my Sister to come and visit me in Canada. When we applied for her visa, we stated she would stay for 22 days. However, her visa was approved. But now we think she may remain for at least five and half months since I would use her help with our baby. When entering Canada, should I book her return ticket for 22 days or reserve it for the five and half months she is planning to stay? I am just wondering for when the officer asks. Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I recently applied for my Sister to come and visit me in Canada. When we applied for her visa, we stated she would stay for 22 days. However, her visa was approved. But now we think she may remain for at least five and half months since I would use her help with our baby. When entering Canada, should I book her return ticket for 22 days or reserve it for the five and half months she is planning to stay? I am just wondering for when the officer asks. Thanks in advance.
She can certainly book a return ticket for five and a half months. Note that how long she is allowed into Canada is always up to CBSA.

She should avoid saying that she is coming to Canada to help with your baby. CBSA will classify this as working illegally.

JLC123

Star Member
May 22, 2021
She can certainly book a return ticket for five and a half months. Note that how long she is allowed into Canada is always up to CBSA.

She should avoid saying she is coming to Canada to help with your baby. CBSA will classify this as working illegally.
Thank you very much for your reply. In that case, I think it may be better to book her return ticket for one month and then change it once she is in Canada. What do you think?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for your reply. In that case, I think it may be better to book her return ticket for one month and then change it once she is in Canada. What do you think?
It's really your choice.

Navedbc

Mar 28, 2022

Navedbc

Mar 28, 2022
Hi just wanted to reach out to you I am applying for visitor visa for my sister and not sure on what to attach on document on purpose of travel other example flight ticket

JLC123

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Hi just wanted to reach out to you. I am applying for a visitor visa for my sister, and not sure what to attach to a document on the purpose of travel other example flight ticket
Purpose of travel, I included my sister's employment letter and her reservation round trip tickets. Hope that answers your question.

Reactions: Navedbc

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. I am afraid that if they see five and a half months, they will start questioning why she is staying so long. Anyways. Thanks a lot.
Just wanted to clarify that if asked she must be honest. You don’t need to volunteer information but you also shouldn’t lie. I assume there is a decent chance that her remaining over for over 22 days was always the plan. She should not work illegally if she has the desire to ever immigrate to Canada or get a temporary permit. Doing any type of work that could be done as a paid employee in Canada (a nanny) would be considered illegal Work. Will you be on maternity leave the entire time you sister is in Canada? If she was working in her home country has she already told them she has no plans on returning after she leaves? Does she have the funds to support herself during the extended visit?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thanks. I am afraid that if they see five and a half months, they will start questioning why she is staying so long. Anyways. Thanks a lot.
Because it is unusual for someone to state there stay is only going to be three weeks then voila , it turns into almost half a year . Shows no ties to her home country, as well how she is planning to fund her sudden long term stay ? Sounds like this was planned from the get go .People tend to plan their financials ahead of time for a trip .
As mentioned caring for a child as a foreigner is construed as illegal work . Regardless of the relation of said foreigner to said child.

“But now we think she may remain for at least five and half months since I would use her help with our baby.”

That’s work

It’s a caregiver account specifically created by the CRA for “ caregivers “

Last edited:

JLC123

Star Member
May 22, 2021
I just wanted to clarify that if asked, she must be honest. You don’t need volunteer information, but you shouldn’t lie. I assume there is a decent chance that her remaining 22 days were always the plan. She should not work illegally if she wants to immigrate to Canada or get a temporary permit. Doing any work that could be done as a paid employee in Canada (a nanny) would be considered illegal Work. Will you be on maternity leave the entire time your sister is in Canada? If she was working in her home country, has she already told them she has no plans on returning after she leaves? Does she have the funds to support herself during the extended visit?

She is not coming to Work. But she wants to spend some time with us to learn the language. But during those five months, she won't be sitting on the sofa doing anything. She will probably give us a hand in the house. She is not planning to stay in Canada. There is no way we can unless they allow us to sponsor siblings, which I don't think will happen anytime soon. Her work allows her to take the time she needs. Thanks for your reply.

JLC123

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Because it is unusual for someone to state their stay is only three weeks, then voila, it turns into almost half a year. She shows no ties to her home country and how plans to fund her sudden long-term stay. It sounds like this was designed from the get-go. People tend to plan their financials ahead of time for a trip.
As mentioned caring for a child as a foreigner is considered illegal work. Regardless of your relationship to said child
I understand. She is allowed to stay six months. as long as she gets out of here before the six months. I don't see the problem.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
She is not coming to Work. But she wants to spend some time with us to learn the language. But during those five months, she won't be sitting on the sofa doing anything. She will probably give us a hand in the house. She is not planning to stay in Canada. There is no way we can unless they allow us to sponsor siblings, which I don't think will happen anytime soon. Her work allows her to take the time she needs. Thanks for your reply.
Regardless whether or not you think “helping around the house “ is work or not , the Government of Canada defines it as work . People sponsor individuals from overseas to do this “ work “, or hire someone already here , who then pay into the system thru taxes . It’s work

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I understand. She is allowed to stay six months. as long as she gets out of here before the six months. I don't see the problem.
She’s allowed to stay how long the CBSA determines when she presents herself at the POE. Six months isn’t a given or a slam dunk. She could be given three weeks which was stated on the visa application. We don’t know.

JLC123

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Regardless whether or not you think “helping around the house “ is work or not , the Government of Canada defines it as work . People sponsor individuals from overseas to do this “ work “, or hire someone already here , who then pay into the system thru taxes . It’s work
That is fucked up. I would happily pay taxes if they allowed me to hire my sister and bring her here, but they won't. Anyway. I will get here and say she is staying for five months. And whatever they decide. Nothing else I can do. Thanks