+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa - Doubts and Help

student121

Apr 7, 2017
Hi,

I want to invite my brother and sister to Toronto for my convocation ceremony in June. I was wondering what are all the documents I need to give from my end to make their profile strong. I am currently working part-time in Toronto and in my letter of invitation I have stated that I will be only providing them with a place to stay and all other expenses they are funding themselves.
These are the documents that I am providing them from my end:
  1. Letter of invitation
  2. Confirmation of graduation
  3. Convocation schedule date
  4. Work Permit
  5. Passport
Are these documents enough or do I still need to show my bank statement even if I am not sponsoring their visit or show my job offer letter (as I just started in Feb and has not filed any taxes and have only 2 months paystub) ??

Also, what is the difference between the purpose of the visit and cover letter?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
They need to show their income, assets, and reasons why they would return to their home country. That is the ultimate test.

An invitation letter gives them a reason to come to Canada. However, it also shows the visa officer that your brother and sister have family in Canada that could support them if they overstay.

What you've proposed is a good start to establishing a valid reason for them to visit Canada, but now they need to provide very strong proof that they will not overstay.

student121

Apr 7, 2017
They need to show their income, assets, and reasons why they would return to their home country. That is the ultimate test.

An invitation letter gives them a reason to come to Canada. However, it also shows the visa officer that your brother and sister have family in Canada that could support them if they overstay.

What you've proposed is a good start to establishing a valid reason for them to visit Canada, but now they need to provide very strong proof that they will not overstay.
Thank you for your quick response! I totally agree with you that my siblings will have to show their required documents i.e. they will be uploading the following documents
  • A no objection certificate from the current employer
  • Financial documents - proof of employment, income tax papers, proof of existing funds
  • Detailed Itinerary.
  • Bank statement for last 6 months along with account holder's bank details.
  • Income tax returns for the last 2 year and 3 months salary slips
  • Covering letter from the applicant stating the purpose and duration of stay
  • Home ties
I guess the main concern/question I have is that the documents that I am providing to them i.e. the convocation invitation, my passport, work permit and letter of invitation.. is that all is required from my end. Do I need to provide more documents e.g. financial statement (though I am not sponsoring them) or job offer (I started in Feb)
I was wondering as they are going to be staying at my place, do I need to send them an address proof (I am currently staying in a rented room in a house and I do not pay the utilities as the landlord does that under his name). Is it an essential document to be shown?

I just want to make sure I have given all the documents from my end as they will be collecting their documents (which have been listed in-depth in a lot of posts here) from their end.

student121

Apr 7, 2017
In my opinion, you don't need to provide more information, just make sure your letter of invitation conforms to what CIC expects: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/letter-invitation.html
Hmm... in the invitation I have mentioned I am under the worker status but did not mention about my job title as I am currently just doing the part-time position. Do I still need to mention it?

Also would like to hear your feedback on my invitation letter:

The Consulate General of Canada
Bangalore
April 16, 2019

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Letter of Invitation for my 2 siblings [XXX and XXX]

I am writing this to support the visitor visa application of my 2 siblings. My brother, XXX (born XXXX) and my sister XXX (born XXX). They currently reside in XXX. Their home phone number is XXX.

My convocation ceremony will be taking place on June 18, 2019. I wish to invite my siblings to Canada to celebrate this important milestone of success in my life with me. My siblings intend to stay in Canada for two weeks from June 10 to June 21 and will leave Canada on June 21. While in Canada, my siblings will stay with me at the below-indicated address and they will be responsible for their own financial support for the duration of their visit.

I am a worker in Canada and completed my course in XXX from XXX, Toronto in December 2018 (copy of work permit and confirmation of graduation letter attached). My D.O.B is XXX and I currently reside at XXX. My telephone number is XXX and my email id. is XXX In addition, I have attached a printout from the XXX College Convocation site which verifies this year's convocation dates. From this printout, you will also find the website address where you can confirm this information independently if you wish.

Should you require any further information about me or my siblings, please feel free to contact me. Thank you in advance for considering my siblings’ application.

Yours truly,
XXX

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The CIC sets out what they expect in a letter of invitation. I don't second-guess whether or not they need something they say that should be there.

student121

Apr 7, 2017
The CIC sets out what they expect in a letter of invitation. I don't second-guess whether or not they need something they say that should be there.
That is true!

Otherwise is the invitation letter fine? I will add in my employment later ...

student121

Apr 7, 2017
It looks good to me.
That's a relief.
One last doubt, what is the difference between the purpose of visit and cover letter? Do my siblings have to write both or either one will suffice? As I find both to be so similar in content.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
They are more or less the same thing when people share them, but purpose of visit is supposed to be narrowly about the purpose of visit. Just cover it all in one document.

student121

Apr 7, 2017
They are more or less the same thing when people share them, but purpose of visit is supposed to be narrowly about the purpose of visit. Just cover it all in one document.
Okie. Thank you for clarifying my doubts and appreciate your quick reply!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
That's a relief.
One last doubt, what is the difference between the purpose of visit and cover letter? Do my siblings have to write both or either one will suffice? As I find both to be so similar in content.
Purpose of visit: A detailed day-by-day itinerary

Cover letter: Summary of their application profiles

1. Do your sister and brother have adequate finances to pay for their entire visit without depending on you?

2. Do they have any other ties? Not just financial ties and employment

3. Have they traveled to any other visa-required countries?

student121

Apr 7, 2017
Purpose of visit: A detailed day-by-day itinerary

Cover letter: Summary of their application profiles

1. Do your sister and brother have adequate finances to pay for their entire visit without depending on you?

2. Do they have any other ties? Not just financial ties and employment

3. Have they traveled to any other visa-required countries?
Thank you for the clarification.
To answer your questions:

1. Do your sister and brother have adequate finances to pay for their entire visit without depending on you? I believe they have sufficient funds. My siblings hold approx 8000$ -10,000 $ in their accounts. Is that sufficient?

2. Do they have any other ties? Not just financial ties and employment - My mother been diagnosed with Cancer in December :( We are planning to get a letter from the hospital stating her condition and why my siblings will definitely return back to India after the intended dates as they have family commitments and responsibilities.

3. Have they traveled to any other visa-required countries? My sister (30 years) had traveled to Korea and Thailand. While my brother (31 years) has not traveled outside India. Will that be a concern?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thank you for the clarification.
To answer your questions:

1. Do your sister and brother have adequate finances to pay for their entire visit without depending on you? I believe they have sufficient funds. My siblings hold approx 8000$ -10,000 $ in their accounts. Is that sufficient?
1. Was it earned by them?

2. Does it match their salary slips and their tax returns?

3. Do each of them have CAD 8-10,000?

4. Do they have credit cards? Loans?

5. Financial investments either available or locked-in? PPF, EPF, FDs, RDs, stocks, mutual funds, etc?

2. Do they have any other ties? Not just financial ties and employment - My mother been diagnosed with Cancer in December :( We are planning to get a letter from the hospital stating her condition and why my siblings will definitely return back to India after the intended dates as they have family commitments and responsibilities.
1. Any other family member that cares for your mother? Or is it just your siblings that live with her?

2. Doctor's note + medical reports + any other medical investigations/treatment

3. Do your siblings have any other ties that substantiate their return to India? Property or land ownership, for example?

3. Have they traveled to any other visa-required countries? My sister (30 years) had traveled to Korea and Thailand. While my brother (31 years) has not traveled outside India. Will that be a concern?
Unfortunately, in terms of travel history, neither of them has traveled to visa-required countries. Yes, it might impact their visa decisions because they don't have any other strong reasons to return to India

student121

Apr 7, 2017
1. Was it earned by them?

2. Does it match their salary slips and their tax returns?

3. Do each of them have CAD 8-10,000?

4. Do they have credit cards? Loans?

5. Financial investments either available or locked-in? PPF, EPF, FDs, RDs, stocks, mutual funds, etc?

1. Any other family member that cares for your mother? Or is it just your siblings that live with her?

2. Doctor's note + medical reports + any other medical investigations/treatment

3. Do your siblings have any other ties that substantiate their return to India? Property or land ownership, for example?

Unfortunately, in terms of travel history, neither of them has traveled to visa-required countries. Yes, it might impact their visa decisions because they don't have any other strong reasons to return to India
2. Does it match their salary slips and their tax returns? My brother gets a monthly salary slip as he works for a company and the money in his bank matches with his salary slips and tax returns. I didn't think about it now, but for my sister, as she works in our small family business (under my father's name), she does not get a monthly payslip. But my dad does deposit money to her account. Does she have to show a monthly payslip or her IT returns for the past 2 years is good enough? Or does my dad have to write a letter stating she is working in the family business and get XX amt each month?

3. Do each of them have CAD 8-10,000? Yes, they do

4. Do they have credit cards? Loans? Sadly, they do not own credit cards. They do have debit cards though. Hence, they do not have any credit card debts nor have they taken any loans before

5. Financial investments either available or locked-in? PPF, EPF, FDs, RDs, stocks, mutual funds, etc? I know my siblings have FDs and my brother may have PPF

1. Any other family member that cares for your mother? Or is it just your siblings that live with her? My father will be taking care of my mother while they are away. We also have my paternal aunts and uncles living close by to help my father when they come to Canada.

3. Do your siblings have any other ties that substantiate their return to India? Property or land ownership, for example? No, they do not. Properties have been under my parents' name.

Woah, I thought they had a good profile ... now I'm not so sure ...