+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa Documentation

Shawners_198

Oct 22, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to help my sister in-law get a Canadian visa to Canada. I will be paying for her entire trip including the flights and I am a Canadian citizen. I am looking at my supporting document checklist and I am wondering what "Proof of Financial Resources of Support" and "Proof of means of Financial Support" mean and how are they different. Also what am I supposed to provide for documentation for "purpose of travel". Also what type of proof would I need to provide them of the relationship between my sister inlaw and wife.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to help my sister in-law get a Canadian visa to Canada. I will be paying for her entire trip including the flights and I am a Canadian citizen. I am looking at my supporting document checklist and I am wondering what "Proof of Financial Resources of Support" and "Proof of means of Financial Support" mean and how are they different.
Hi,

First-off, the greater the financial dependence of your sister-in-law on you, the higher the chances of a TRV refusal. Your financial support is supplementary.

Proof of Means of Financial Support:
She must prove she has the financial resources to afford the cost of the visit. For example, her bank statement + her financial investments + shares/stocks, jewelry (as an investment), etc etc

Liquid funds + Locked-in funds = Her overall financial situation

That said, only her liquid finances can be stated in the 'Available funds for my visit' question of the TRV form

Proof of Means of Financial Support of the Supporter:
These documents must be provided by you i.e. you bank statement (most recent, one month, this is not mandatory) + invitation letter stating you will provide accommodation and/or you will pay for her local travel and living expenses

Also what am I supposed to provide for documentation for "purpose of travel".
Why is she visiting? And for how long? To answer both these questions, she must prepare a detailed day-by-day itinerary of her plans with expense estimate

Also what type of proof would I need to provide them of the relationship between my sister inlaw and wife.
Copies of their birth certificates/any other recognized proofs that mention the same parents' names

Cheers

True1986

Jul 26, 2017
i have question here if some buddy helps me....... i applied for trv...my husband send invitation letter from candad....he did notary but he sent me duplicate copy for invitation letter...it was to late to send courier so we attached dulicate notary of invitation letter...question is will visa officer will accept my husbands invitation letter...

hardy30

Feb 14, 2017
Great post Bryanna!

I have followed your posts and its amazing how you help people out selflessly. I also try to research and help out my friends by providing information. I am currently trying to help my friend apply for TRV for his wife.

- Confusion is what to apply - open work permit for spouse of international student or visitor visa?

- his wife recently passed out of college and doesnt really have money to prove she has enough to cover her trip costs because she never worked. Can her parents fully sponsor her for visitor visa or SOWP? or for eg. if she applies for visitor visa with her parents fully sponsoring her trip, she decides to opt for SOWP in canada, how to show proof of funds that time? my friend doesnt really have much in his account either, as he only works upto 20 hrs a week off campus.

- if she applies SOWP, I think she would get visa till my friend's study permit expires. But what happens after that? Would she need to switch to visitor visa (not sure whats that called - visitor record or a new trv applied inside canada) until he finds a job in NOC O, A or B with 3 pay slips (checked that on CIC website)? and then switch back to SOWP from visitor visa? if yes, how thats done and what docs required?

- when filling up the eligibility questions - what to select - visit for more than 6 months or less than 6 months? how does what option you select matter as long as you are inputting the dates from and to in the form? is more than 6 months option there just for medicals? or for super visa only? or its always better to apply for more than 6 months and do medical regardless? This part is bugging me because say if apply for visitor visa and you select the less than 6 months option, and you get the visa, then once you are in canada and decide to opt of extension or SOWP, what do you select then? work for more than 6 months? would you need to do medical in Canada then?

- can the same medical performed for visitor visa be used for SOWP application later on if its still valid? or medicals of worker is different? does the acknowledgement of medical say anything - visit or worker?

I am sorry to bombard you with tons of questions. I wish Canadian applications were little more straight forward, esp for people who are not well off financially and cant really afford lawyers.

Much appreciate your help, Bryanna.

Cheers
Hardy

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
@hardy30

I will try to answer your questions.

- Confusion is what to apply - open work permit for spouse of international student or visitor visa?
As your friend's wife has recently graduated i.e. not employed/no further studies, IMO, her chances of an approval for an SOWP are extremely weak. That's also because your friend's personal financial situation is weak + his wife has almost zero chances of finding employment when she comes to Canada.

That said, her chances of a TRV/visitor visa are not bright either.

his wife recently passed out of college and doesnt really have money to prove she has enough to cover her trip costs because she never worked. Can her parents fully sponsor her for visitor visa or SOWP?
Yes, her parents can support her visit financially.

or for eg. if she applies for visitor visa with her parents fully sponsoring her trip, she decides to opt for SOWP in canada, how to show proof of funds that time?
It must be in financial instruments which can be accessed/used in Canada

- if she applies SOWP, I think she would get visa till my friend's study permit expires. But what happens after that? Would she need to switch to visitor visa (not sure whats that called - visitor record or a new trv applied inside canada) until he finds a job in NOC O, A or B with 3 pay slips (checked that on CIC website)? and then switch back to SOWP from visitor visa? if yes, how thats done and what docs required?
One step at a time. You're thinking way too much in advance.

- when filling up the eligibility questions - what to select - visit for more than 6 months or less than 6 months? how does what option you select matter as long as you are inputting the dates from and to in the form?
It matters. The visa office can decide whether your friend's wife is a genuine visitor or not.

is more than 6 months option there just for medicals? or for super visa only?
Any applicant can be asked to do medicals, even short stay visitors who intend to visit for just a few days.

Super visas are irrelevant here because your friend is not a PR/citizen + super visas are only for parents/grandparents and not for spouses.

or its always better to apply for more than 6 months and do medical regardless? This part is bugging me because say if apply for visitor visa and you select the less than 6 months option, and you get the visa, then once you are in canada and decide to opt of extension or SOWP, what do you select then? work for more than 6 months? would you need to do medical in Canada then?
Any stay of more than 6 months, would require medicals to be done.... this is whether the applicant is extending his/her visitor status beyond 6 months or applying for an SOWP.

- can the same medical performed for visitor visa be used for SOWP application later on if its still valid? or medicals of worker is different? does the acknowledgement of medical say anything - visit or worker?
Again, medicals are NOT required for a TRV/visitor visa. If required, the visa office will let you know.

Medicals are valid for 12 months. If she is asked to do medicals for a TRV, those medicals would be valid when she changes to an SOWP (i.e. if she applies within the validity of those medicals. If not, she is required to redo the medicals)

Cheers