Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
Hi everybody !!

I am on Work permit in Canada and got married last December . My work permit is getting expired in December 2013 and I am going to extend it . My wife is back in India and holding a valid visitor visa till 2014 . She couldn't travel till now because of her personal office constraints as she is working in India.
Now I want her to be soon here with me .

I know She can travel with no hassles as she is holding valid Visa.

Question :if she travel now can visitor visa be changed to dependent visa?

Reason to Ask : With Visitor visa she have to return after 6 months and she would not be provided any SIN or Health Card once she lands her if I am not wrong. I don't want her to apply fresh dependent visa as it might take time to get due to strike problems .

Please help me in this regard who know how this situation can be tackled , Would be nice if I hear from someone who has been to same situation....
If someone can tell me how much time it take nowadays to get a dependent visa that would also be great .

Thanks in Advance

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gurindar said:
Hi everybody !!

I am on Work permit in Canada and got married last December . My work permit is getting expired in December 2013 and I am going to extend it . My wife is back in India and holding a valid visitor visa till 2014 . She couldn't travel till now because of her personal office constraints as she is working in India.
Now I want her to be soon here with me .

I know She can travel with no hassles as she is holding valid Visa.

Question :if she travel now can visitor visa be changed to dependent visa?

Reason to Ask : With Visitor visa she have to return after 6 months and she would not be provided any SIN or Health Card once she lands her if I am not wrong. I don't want her to apply fresh dependent visa as it might take time to get due to strike problems .

Please help me in this regard who know how this situation can be tackled , Would be nice if I hear from someone who has been to same situation....
If someone can tell me how much time it take nowadays to get a dependent visa that would also be great .

Thanks in Advance
The answer to your question can be found on: http://visionscanada.ca/immigration-programs/work-visit/dependant-visa-open-work-permit/

I coppied and pasted the below text from the link mentioned above:

Under Canada immigration regulations, spouses and common-law partners of temporary foreign workers and foreign students, who wish to work in Canada, will need an Open Work Permit. Open Work Permits are also available through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program for international students. The holder of an Open Work Permit can work for any Canadian employer, without first having a confirmed offer of employment. Also, an Open Work Permit is not job-specific.

Under Canada immigration regulations, Open Work Permits may be applied for by:

the spouses or common-law partners of foreign temporary workers;
the spouses or common-law partners of foreign students;
international students who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution

So if you are asking about this "dependent visa" because you want her to work in Canada, then yes, she will be able to obtain open work visa.

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
Thanks O_guy for the explanation.

Open work permit will let my wife work , I understood that.

But I want her to be here soon ASAP , and she is holding a valid visitor visa. Can she come here and then apply for open work permit with status of visitor rather than applying from India ?

Viz

Star Member
Jul 6, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gurindar said:

But I want her to be here soon ASAP , and she is holding a valid visitor visa. Can she come here and then apply for open work permit with status of visitor rather than applying from India ?
hi buddy,

My wife has applied for open work pemit from India. Could u pls tell time what is the processing time. Is it same as the normal work permit or less.

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gurindar said:

Gurindar, sorry for the late reply. Yes, she can apply for the open work visa after she comes to Canada.

dmaulesh07

Aug 15, 2019
Hi,

My wife is in Canada with me on visitor visa. I asked lots of people and they let me confused about applying for dependent visa for her. Can i directly apply open work permit for her? or do i need to apply for dependent visa? or both are same things? and please can anybody tell me which forms i need to fill?

Thanks in advance
Maulesh

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

My wife is in Canada with me on visitor visa. I asked lots of people and they let me confused about applying for dependent visa for her. Can i directly apply open work permit for her? or do i need to apply for dependent visa? or both are same things? and please can anybody tell me which forms i need to fill?

Thanks in advance
Maulesh
There is no dependent visa. What is your status in Canada? Do you work in NOC 0, A or B if you are on a work permit?

dmaulesh07

Aug 15, 2019
There is no dependent visa. What is your status in Canada? Do you work in NOC 0, A or B if you are on a work permit?
Yes, i am on work permit and I am working as a Software Developer which comes under NOC A. Could you please tell me what visa should i apply for my wife?

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019
Hi,

Thanks in advance
Maulesh
There is no dependent visa. There are two options now, since she is already in Canada - she can apply for visitor status extension aka visitor record or open WP. Only difference is, she can't work while being on visitor status (visitor record).

dmaulesh07

Aug 15, 2019
There is no dependent visa. There are two options now, since she is already in Canada - she can apply for visitor status extension aka visitor record or open WP. Only difference is, she can't work while being on visitor status (visitor record).
Yes, So best option is i apply for OWP. Can anyone please post a link for apply online? and please tell me what to select online?

dmaulesh07

Aug 15, 2019
Thanks, and do you know about medical exam? do she need to give before apply for SOWP or she can go after and attach document online?