+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa and volunteer work

sheep528

Sep 10, 2009
Hi, all.
I just graduate from an university in Australia with a degree in computer science and I am now in Vancouver to visit my mum who works here. I have a multi entry visitor visa for 6 month. Since I don't have many friends here, I would like to find a volunteer work in Vancouver and gain some experience so after I go back, I can add something in my resume.
My question is if I just want to find a volunteer job without payment(related to my degree), do I need to change my visa to work permit?
coz in Australia, if you don't recieve payment, you don't have to apply for a work permit, I am not sure if it is the case in Canada.
I try to seek the answer on the official website but there aren't many useful information there, so hope this is not a rare case.

Thank you for your answers

Best Regards

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
I think you can apply for a volunteer job, as you will not be paid it won't create any problem

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sheep528 said:
Hi, all.
I just graduate from an university in Australia with a degree in computer science and I am now in Vancouver to visit my mum who works here. I have a multi entry visitor visa for 6 month. Since I don't have many friends here, I would like to find a volunteer work in Vancouver and gain some experience so after I go back, I can add something in my resume.
My question is if I just want to find a volunteer job without payment(related to my degree), do I need to change my visa to work permit?
coz in Australia, if you don't recieve payment, you don't have to apply for a work permit, I am not sure if it is the case in Canada.
I try to seek the answer on the official website but there aren't many useful information there, so hope this is not a rare case.

Thank you for your answers

Best Regards
Just be careful, since if the position is normally a paid one, even though you are not being paid, it would be considered work.

From the FW Manual

"Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which
would not compete directly with Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents in the
Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason
that the person is in Canada include, but are not limited to:
• volunteer work for which a person would not normally be remunerated, such as sitting on the
board of a charity or religious institution; being a ‘big brother’ or ‘big sister’ to a child; being on
the telephone line at a rape crisis centre. (Normally this activity would be part time and
incidental to the main reason that a person is in Canada);
• unremunerated help by a friend or family member during a visit, such as a mother assisting a
daughter with childcare, or an uncle helping his nephew build his own cottage;
• long distance (by telephone or internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer
is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;
• self-employment where the work to be done would have no real impact on the labour market,
nor really provide an opportunity for Canadians. Examples include a U.S. farmer crossing the
border to work on fields that he owns, or a miner coming to work on his own claim.
There may be other types of unpaid short-term work where the work is really incidental to the
main reason that a person is visiting Canada and is not a competitive activity, even though nonmonetary
valuable consideration is received. For instance, if a tourist wishes to stay on a family
farm and work part time just for room and board for a short period (i.e., 1-4 weeks), this person
would not be considered a worker.
We recognize that there may be overlap in activities that we do not consider to be work and those
activities which are defined as work not requiring a work permit in R186. However, the net effect
(no work permit required) is the same."

PMM

sheep528

Sep 10, 2009
Suin said:
I think you can apply for a volunteer job, as you will not be paid it won't create any problem
thank you for your answer. if this is the case then it will be great.

sheep528

Sep 10, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

Just be careful, since if the position is normally a paid one, even though you are not being paid, it would be considered work.

From the FW Manual

"Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which
Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason
• volunteer work for which a person would not normally be remunerated, such as sitting on the
board of a charity or religious institution; being a ‘big brother' or ‘big sister' to a child; being on
the telephone line at a rape crisis centre. (Normally this activity would be part time and
• unremunerated help by a friend or family member during a visit, such as a mother assisting a
• long distance (by telephone or internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer
• self-employment where the work to be done would have no real impact on the labour market,
nor really provide an opportunity for Canadians. Examples include a U.S. farmer crossing the
border to work on fields that he owns, or a miner coming to work on his own claim.
There may be other types of unpaid short-term work where the work is really incidental to the
main reason that a person is visiting Canada and is not a competitive activity, even though nonmonetary
valuable consideration is received. For instance, if a tourist wishes to stay on a family
farm and work part time just for room and board for a short period (i.e., 1-4 weeks), this person
We recognize that there may be overlap in activities that we do not consider to be work and those
activities which are defined as work not requiring a work permit in R186. However, the net effect

PMM
first, thank you for your answer.
my understanding of your answer is if my volunteer work does not affect canadian labour market, then it should be fine, am I right?
btw, what is FW stand for and where do you get the manual?

Best Regards

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sheep528 said:
PMM said:
Hi

From the FW Manual

board of a charity or religious institution; being a ‘big brother' or ‘big sister' to a child; being on

PMM
Foreign Worker , http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/index.asp

PMM

first, thank you for your answer.
my understanding of your answer is if my volunteer work does not affect canadian labour market, then it should be fine, am I right?
btw, what is FW stand for and where do you get the manual?

Best Regards

megamind_moon

Star Member
Dec 22, 2014
Can I apply for a trv ..and the reason for my visit beside visiting my friend is volunteering in the canadina blood service in calgary?

Maganda

Dec 14, 2017
It’s not from this site, but sounds mostly like “no, you cannot volunteering without work permit”. <....“In other words, the actions of working (even for free for the time being) competed with the ability of citizens and permanent residents to work, which is prohibited under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.....>

http://immigrationcanada.pro/immigrate/careful-volunteer-canada-without-work-permit/

So, for those who still want it - it’s better not to.

Maganda

Dec 14, 2017
Please check the dates before responding to old posts.
Well, firstly, people who are looking for the response are going through all the comments. And mine would be “the latest”. Second, if moderators think that there are no comments should be added after particular time, they should “froze” the ability to say something under the topic. Would be helpful.