+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa After Spousal Sponsorship Application

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I usually don't like to start new topics but a quick search didn't result anything and this is a topic that many can benefit from. So, my question is; has anyone succeeded getting visitor visa after submitting spouse sponsorship application?

I understand that Visa Offices often deny visitor visa to spouses of Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents. I assume that is because CIC prefers the submittion of Outland sponsorship rather than Inland. So, after submitting Outland sponsorship application and getting AOR/SA, do you think the chances of getting visitor visa gets better?

Please let me know if you or someone you know has recieved visitor visa after submitting Outland spouse sponsorship application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It has nothing to do with prefering outland vs. inland. To be approved for a visitor visa, you must demonstrate strong ties to your home country and show that you have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. CIC often believes that someone who has a Canadian citizen spouse likely has plans on remaining in Canada long term. So after submitting an outland sponsorship application the chances of being approved for a visitor visa likely get worse (not better) since someone who has applied for PR clearly has plans to remain in Canada long term. Having said that, there are still a fair number of people who are successful in obtaining visitor visas in these circumstances so by all means go ahead and try.

Reactions: yasoso

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Although I appreciate reading what people think about this topic, I'm specifically interested in hearing from those whose spouse applied for visitor visa after submitting spousal sponsorship application. Thank you.

singhjag

Star Member
Mar 31, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 13, 2014
AOR Received.
Mar 13, 2014
File Transfer...
Mar 31, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 6, 2014
Interview........
IP - Sept 16
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2014 + DM
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 20, 2014
LANDED..........
Nov 8, 2014
Related question.

Can a same Proof of Medical Exam as with the Spousal Sponsorship submitted as a supporting document of the Tourist visa application or a new medical exam needs to be conducted?

J

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
scylla said:
It has nothing to do with prefering outland vs. inland. To be approved for a visitor visa, you must demonstrate strong ties to your home country and show that you have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. CIC often believes that someone who has a Canadian citizen spouse likely has plans on remaining in Canada long term. So after submitting an outland sponsorship application the chances of being approved for a visitor visa likely get worse (not better) since someone who has applied for PR clearly has plans to remain in Canada long term. Having said that, there are still a fair number of people who are successful in obtaining visitor visas in these circumstances so by all means go ahead and try.
From my experience, I would have to disagree that chances of being approved for a visitor visa are lessened because someone applies for PR. I, along with many other applicants, have received multiple visitor visa extensions, since applying for PR and stating so on the visa application. Apparently CIC does not have a problem with families being together during the processing of PR applications.

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chala said:
From my experience, I would have to disagree that chances of being approved for a visitor visa are lessened because someone applies for PR. I, along with many other applicants, have received multiple visitor visa extensions, since applying for PR and stating so on the visa application. Apparently CIC does not have a problem with families being together during the processing of PR applications.
Thank you for sharing that. Many many thanks.

And still hopping to hear more of you who have applied for visitor visa after submitting spousal sponsorship application.

M

mikeymyke

But chala, keep in mind you are an American, it's far easier to get a visitor visa after PR for people like you than non visa exempt countries.

Based on people's experiences here, it would seem the people from non visa exempt countries who were successful in getting a visitor visa after PR are those who:

-have their entire family, brothers, sisters, parents, relatives, etc (minus spouse, of course) in their home country
-were previously granted visitor visa before and left the country on time
-spouse has good income/own home, so the applicant does not need to pay living expenses

agarand8

Aug 21, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
Doc's Request.
10-06-2014
AOR Received.
21-05-2014...#2 - 10-06-2014
File Transfer...
22-05-2014
Med's Request
Additional tests requested on 05-06-2014
Med's Done....
Feb. 2014 & August 5th 2014
Interview........
24-FEB-2015
Passport Req..
24-MAR-2015...received at VO 6-APR-2015
chala said:
Can I ask....did you apply outland or inland? And were you already inside of Canada when your PR application was submitted. I'm wondering about the timeline...If you were inside of Canada on a TRV, then applied for PR, then applied for extensions I think it's a lot different if you apply for PR from outside of Canada, THEN apply for TRV. Please let us know.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Chala is an American citizen. You don't get a 'visa' to come to Canada as Americans are visa exempt. What this poster is talking about it an 'extended' visitation record (essentially). He/She was allowed to enter Canada on his/her passport alone and once inside of Canada was able to file an 'extension' repeatedly from within Canada asking to remain. Those are usually granted unless there are extenuating circumstances.

What the OP is asking here is something completely different. I am guessing his spouse is NOT visa exempt and therefore must get a visa stamped into passport to allow them to even begin a visit to Canada.

These, in my opinion, are not really even the same type of situation. Those from visa exempt countries more easily enter Canada and are more likely to remain in Canada.

Just my two cents.

O_guy

Aug 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mikeymyke said:
Based on people's experiences here, it would seem the people from non visa exempt countries who were successful in getting a visitor visa after PR are those who:

-have their entire family, brothers, sisters, parents, relatives, etc (minus spouse, of course) in their home country
-were previously granted visitor visa before and left the country on time
-spouse has good income/own home, so the applicant does not need to pay living expenses
Well, of those three criteria, our situation fits 1 and 3. I understand and respect that most of what has been written so far are personal thoughts and not personal experiences. I would very like to hear from people who applied for visitor visa (TRV) after submitting spouse sponsorship application.

notsopatient

Star Member
Mar 31, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/10/2013
AOR Received.
31/10/2013
File Transfer...
3-12-2013
Med's Request
24/05/2015 Redone
LANDED..........
29-06-2015
Hi all,
My husband is an American citizen and we live in border towns. Border officials were the ones who suggested he apply for a visitor's visa but told him that first he needed proof of application for PR. Even though he technically doesn't need a visa he has much less grief getting in and out of the country (three or four times a week) now that he has one.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
notsopatient said:
Hi all,
My husband is an American citizen and we live in border towns. Border officials were the ones who suggested he apply for a visitor's visa but told him that first he needed proof of application for PR. Even though he technically doesn't need a visa he has much less grief getting in and out of the country (three or four times a week) now that he has one.
That is a visitor RECORD ;) Different item all together :D

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
agarand8 said:
Can I ask....did you apply outland or inland? And were you already inside of Canada when your PR application was submitted. I'm wondering about the timeline...If you were inside of Canada on a TRV, then applied for PR, then applied for extensions I think it's a lot different if you apply for PR from outside of Canada, THEN apply for TRV. Please let us know.
My application was Outland, even though I remained in Canada during processing. Visa extensions were applied for prior to and after the PR application was filed . I agree with the points made by the other posters that it would be harder for those from non exempt countries to obtain extensions, but each case is different and is certainly worth a try.

Toronto ASAP

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2013
Doc's Request.
21 Jan 2014, new PC and Interview invitation
AOR Received.
Stage 1 - 15 Feb 2013, SA 22 Feb 2013
File Transfer...
Stage 2 AOR - 01 March 2013
Med's Done....
11 Jan 2013, 2nd 07 March 2014
Interview........
05 March 2014
Passport Req..
29 April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
06 May 2014
O_guy said:
Well, of those three criteria, our situation fits 1 and 3. I understand and respect that most of what has been written so far are personal thoughts and not personal experiences. I would very like to hear from people who applied for visitor visa (TRV) after submitting spouse sponsorship application.
Hi, I am one of those with this kind of experience. Applied for PR in February 2013 and for TRV in September 2013. It is possible but difficult, a lot of people get rejected because it is believed their ties to Canada (spouse) are strong. It is essential to provide enough evidence, although in the end it is a subjective decision of the immigration officer.

Look for DUAL INTENT procedure to get more info about what is important to emphasize in your TRV application.

check the forum, but his helped me too

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op11-eng.pdf

I believe a letter we wrote explaining the circumstances played a crucial role (why my husband cannot visit me again, that we just want to travel, spend holidays together and celebrate our marriage anniversary, that with the prolonging processing times we might not see each for sooo long, that I understand I have to return to my home country after that of course, that we would never jeopardize the PR process in any way, provided proof of my ongoing Master studies, ownership of car, land, bank accounts, scholarships... all ties to my home country - in case you can get it, a letter from employer stating the date you have to be back for your job would be of great help, along with the return flight ticket of course). I also showed a solid travel history, and was granted 2 TRVs for Canada before. I did work very hard on the application but it was worth it - I was approved in less than 2 working days (applied on line) !!! I couldn't believe it myself!

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Toronto ASAP

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2013
Doc's Request.
21 Jan 2014, new PC and Interview invitation
AOR Received.
Stage 1 - 15 Feb 2013, SA 22 Feb 2013
File Transfer...
Stage 2 AOR - 01 March 2013
Med's Done....
11 Jan 2013, 2nd 07 March 2014
Interview........
05 March 2014
Passport Req..
29 April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
06 May 2014
singhjag said:
Related question.

Can a same Proof of Medical Exam as with the Spousal Sponsorship submitted as a supporting document of the Tourist visa application or a new medical exam needs to be conducted?

J
I sent the same one (because I was asked if I performed it in the last year which I did in my PR app) but my country does not normally require Medical Exams for TRV, you should check that.