+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor/Student Visa from Within Canada

promisedprodigy

Star Member
Dec 29, 2021
So I'm a student with a visa that is soon to expire. Naturally, I need a new one if I wish to travel back and forth from Canada to elsewhere. Does anyone know what the process of stamping your passport is, after you get your visa approved? Do I have to mail it somewhere? Or do I have to go to a passport office?

Any help would be appreciated. Also, a reminder: I am IN Canada.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
If you are on a Study permit, you either need a Study permit extension or PGWP upon completion of studies to apply for a TRV against that new approval

The TRV approval will let you send your passport for stamping Inside Canada

Good Luck

promisedprodigy

Star Member
Dec 29, 2021
If you are on a Study permit, you either need a Study permit extension or PGWP upon completion of studies to apply for a TRV against that new approval

The TRV approval will let you send your passport for stamping Inside Canada

Good Luck
Thanks! Although my study permit is valid till 2025, its just that the dates with my old passport expiry were messed up so I have to apply for a new visa :D. Have a great day.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Thanks! Although my study permit is valid till 2025, its just that the dates with my old passport expiry were messed up so I have to apply for a new visa :D. Have a great day.
Yes been there done that

I was on a 1 year program and they stamped the passport for 4 months :( sigh

promisedprodigy

Star Member
Dec 29, 2021
Implied status is for a small period only

You need to restore your status
I'm a bit confused still..
https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/immigration-documents/renewing-documents/temporary-resident-visa-trv#:~:text=You can remain in Canada,visitor stamp in your passport
This is the official McGill website and if you click the link it says that you can remain in Canada as long as your permit is valid. Doesn't really mention anything about a time frame after which you need to get a new visa? Because I thought (and I'm 85% sure this is how it works) that your Study PERMIT confers your status in the country, not your visa.

Reactions: nickgrizzly

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
I'm a bit confused still..
https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/immigration-documents/renewing-documents/temporary-resident-visa-trv#:~:text=You can remain in Canada,visitor stamp in your passport
This is the official McGill website and if you click the link it says that you can remain in Canada as long as your permit is valid. Doesn't really mention anything about a time frame after which you need to get a new visa? Because I thought (and I'm 85% sure this is how it works) that your Study PERMIT confers your status in the country, not your visa.
Study permit is the physical doc while the TRV is what gets stamped on the passport

Once the TRV expires, you lose status and you are on the implied status till your next permit/visa kicks in

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
Yo just to clarify, I can stay in Canada even with an expired visa right? My study permit is valid till 2025.
Yes, you can stay in Canada until the date of the study permit. TRV is only needed to travel back to Canada if you go somewhere else (Example: Back to your home country for holidays) The study permit itself is what gives you valid status in Canada.

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
Implied status is for a small period only

You need to restore your status
OP status is student, that status is valid through the study permit validity.

NO need to restore status when their status is valid until 2025.

Reactions: prospectiveab